The Student Room Group

Discretionary Leave to Remain....HELP!!!!

Hi everyone I really need your help, thanks for your time

I am going to uni this year, I have been living in the UK for 8 years and I got the 'Discretionary Leave to Remain', for this visa I need to renew it in this August and then I can get another 3 years, after the 3 years I can apply to the indefinite leave to remain.

The problem is, the uni see me as an international student. My dad has asked the lawyer whether I am allowed to apply for the student loan or not, the lawyer said it depends on the uni. I have asked the uni and they said it depends on the gov.
Now I ring up the student finance, the lady tells me I only can apply for the student loan when I get the indefinite leave to remain.

:confused:My question is do I really can’t apply for the student loan? Me and my parents are living in the UK for a long time, I am studying in the local primary school, secondary school, 6th form and Foundation, I didn't pay anything for that. Also my parent’s income is quite low, each of their income are less than 13000 pounds (per year), and I don’t have any job...and the international student's fee is much higher than the home student fee:frown::frown: it will be difficult for me to pay the fee.

When I ring up to the gov student finance, the lady sounds like she doesn’t really know about this, she keeps asking people and checking the system.... So if there are any chances that I can apply for the student finance, I don’t want to miss it out.:redface:

:confused:Another question is, if I really can’t get the student loan, are there any ways to get other financial supports?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you lived in the UK for more 3 years and not been in any education in last 3 years then you should be classed as a home student. And also there is no other way to fund it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm very sorry, but kumori is probably wrong. If you live in England and are thus covered by Student Finance England, then you are not eligible for any funding for higher education with Discretionary Leave to Remain.

However, the rules are different if you live in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, where you would be eligible for Home status and full student funding under some circumstances.

The Children's Legal Centre have a very good summary here:
http://www.childrenslegalcentre.com/index.php?page=faq_Furtherandhighereducation_question4

Those with discretionary leave

As of February 2011, in England those with discretionary leave to remain are not be eligible for 'home fees' or student support.

In Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland those with discretionary leave will be eligible for home fees and student support if:
•s/he is ordinarily resident in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland on the first day of the first academic year of the course; and
•s/he has been ordinarily resident in the UK and the Islands (Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) for the three years preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course; [7]

If an individual is applying for student support in Scotland, because s/he normally lives there, even if s/he is not going to stay there, this 3 year ordinary residence period is not a requirement
Reply 3
I am in the same situation, got discretionary leave to remain in the UK too. I tried to apply for uni but they have all rejected my application due to my status, it sucks, now I have to wait for years before I can get to uni..
Reply 4
I am currently having the same situation, I have been living in the UK for almost 8 years now. Unfortunately I have the Discretionary Leave to remain and I have applied for Uni, I already have my place but my problem is that I cant get financial support but they have mentioned saying i am a Home student. its worrying me now, the fact that my Visa is 3 years and its finishing in October and after that they might give me another 3 years.. this means i have to wait for another 3 years? Honestly, i have been living here for a long time, going to school and college without paying anything but now i want to be in my own shoes and do my own thing.. i cant? its not fair on me or anyone else.
Fair or not they won't change their rules.
Reply 6
You can't, DLR is not entitled to Gov. money.
Reply 7
Original post by Tannaz021
I am currently having the same situation, I have been living in the UK for almost 8 years now. Unfortunately I have the Discretionary Leave to remain and I have applied for Uni, I already have my place but my problem is that I cant get financial support but they have mentioned saying i am a Home student. its worrying me now, the fact that my Visa is 3 years and its finishing in October and after that they might give me another 3 years.. this means i have to wait for another 3 years? Honestly, i have been living here for a long time, going to school and college without paying anything but now i want to be in my own shoes and do my own thing.. i cant? its not fair on me or anyone else.

I am in the same situation and I agree it's completely unfair on us, we achieve the grades and get accepted into university yet we are not able to go because if this. I was wondering what do you plan to do now?? Is there any other way of funding our student fees??
Reply 8
I do feel huge sympathy for all prospective uni students with DLR in England. I know it's little comfort at your current stage, but at some point you will be able to apply for Indefinite Leave To Remain and you will be eligible for the full Student Finance England package. I went to uni aged 44 - most of you will be able to apply for IDL well before that kind of age. You can still find yourself with the uni education you want, but it's a matter of patience. There's a useful (and sympathetic) legal summary here:

http://www.hardwicke.co.uk/insights/articles/university-tuition-fees-and-discretionary-leave-to-remain

Either that, or you need to move to Scotland, Wales or NI for work and apply to uni again once you're there. It sounds like a facetious suggestion, but if you're desperate to go to uni sooner, it might be worth considering. You'd probably be leaving home for uni anyway, so you could just look on the move as part of the process. Page 9-10 of this document for Scotland:
http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/residence.pdf#page9
Reply 9
Hey, I'm currently in the same situation as you. Could you please tell me what's happened with you so I can benefit from your experince? Thank you in adavance.
Reply 10
I've been here for 16 years and they won't even consider me and I have the same status DLR I'm been ripped of my OPPITUNITY even though I've been here since 1998 been trying to get an apprenticeship but it's hard to find in graphic design I feel cheated...but I pray for a better day.
Reply 11
Original post by ※kira※
Hi everyone I really need your help, thanks for your time

I am going to uni this year, I have been living in the UK for 8 years and I got the 'Discretionary Leave to Remain', for this visa I need to renew it in this August and then I can get another 3 years, after the 3 years I can apply to the indefinite leave to remain.

The problem is, the uni see me as an international student. My dad has asked the lawyer whether I am allowed to apply for the student loan or not, the lawyer said it depends on the uni. I have asked the uni and they said it depends on the gov.
Now I ring up the student finance, the lady tells me I only can apply for the student loan when I get the indefinite leave to remain.

:confused:My question is do I really can’t apply for the student loan? Me and my parents are living in the UK for a long time, I am studying in the local primary school, secondary school, 6th form and Foundation, I didn't pay anything for that. Also my parent’s income is quite low, each of their income are less than 13000 pounds (per year), and I don’t have any job...and the international student's fee is much higher than the home student fee:frown::frown: it will be difficult for me to pay the fee.

When I ring up to the gov student finance, the lady sounds like she doesn’t really know about this, she keeps asking people and checking the system.... So if there are any chances that I can apply for the student finance, I don’t want to miss it out.:redface:

:confused:Another question is, if I really can’t get the student loan, are there any ways to get other financial supports?

[INDENT]I've been here for 16 years and they won't even consider me and I have the same status DLR I'm been ripped of my OPPITUNITY even though I've been here since 1998 been trying to get an apprenticeship but it's hard to find in graphic design I feel cheated...but I pray for a better day.[/INDENT]

Hi all, sorry to hear this. Have any of you heard of Article 26? A project of te Helena Kennedy Foundation.

Article 26 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that everyone has the right to education and specifies tht higher education should be equally accessible on the basis of merit.

The Article 26 Project was created to make this right a reality for people who have sought asylum in Uk. I'm an Article 26 Student myself and final year.

Very Best Wishes
Tricia
If you are not eligible you are not eligible, regardless of fatuous references to irrelevant information.
No-one is preventing you from having an education. The Government won't fund you because you don't meet their criteria.
Could always go to uni in your country of Birth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello
My friend is desperate to go to uni. I feel so sorry for her. She has tried to contact helena keneddy foundation many many times but they never replied the emails or answered their phones. Please give me some contact details of them if you have then i can pass it on to my friend. Many thanks
Reply 17
Original post by ※kira※
Hi everyone the bottom line is the rules are never going to change so get packing and relocate before you lose the oppunity as the rules change all the time.
I moved from Wales to Scotland and I'm at uni and i'm in my last year. DL to remain is what I have and just renewed them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by usin
I am in the same situation, got discretionary leave to remain in the UK too. I tried to apply for uni but they have all rejected my application due to my status, it sucks, now I have to wait for years before I can get to uni..

Hi I am from Just For Kids Law, and we run a campaign known as 'Let Us Learn'. I know that you wrote this message a while back and so I wanted to find out if you got a chance to attend University?.
Reply 19
Original post by Enfrs
I am in the same situation and I agree it's completely unfair on us, we achieve the grades and get accepted into university yet we are not able to go because if this. I was wondering what do you plan to do now?? Is there any other way of funding our student fees??

Hey

I am totally aware of the situation that your in and it is in the news now I think. I am not sure what you current situation is now, did you manage to get some sort of help.

It is so sad that people work so hard only to be let down.

I know of the charity called Just For Kids LAw, maybe they can help you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending