The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 1
Original post by dieteticsguy
I have received offers from kings and surrey, which I am very thankful for, but I am really struggling to decide between them.
I wondered if there were any Nutrition and dietetics students at surrey or kings that could tell me about their uni experience, likes/dislike of the course etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi Dietetics Guy, I also have offers from Kings and Surrey (and Nottingham). It is a really tough decision!

Have you made any progress with your decision since you wrote this last week?

Both seem to be great courses. Obviously the main differences seem to be that Kings is city based and Surrey is campus based. Kings may cost more over the 4 years (thinking of living costs especially 2nd, 3rd and 4th years). Kings has a dietetic kitchen lab though which is pretty cool! Surrey has a lovely green campus and seems to be very student-focused with lots going on with the student union. Guilford will probably be cheaper. Although the placements could be anywhere in the south-east.

What are your thoughts? Do you think Kings' prestigious name is worth it? Surrey is actually higher in the league table - although league tables don't really mean much.

Anyway, good luck with your choice! :smile:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by melody91
Hi Dietetics Guy, I also have offers from Kings and Surrey (and Nottingham). It is a really tough decision!

Have you made any progress with your decision since you wrote this last week?

Both seem to be great courses. Obviously the main differences seem to be that Kings is city based and Surrey is campus based. Kings may cost more over the 4 years (thinking of living costs especially 2nd, 3rd and 4th years). Kings has a dietetic kitchen lab though which is pretty cool! Surrey has a lovely green campus and seems to be very student-focused with lots going on with the student union. Guilford will probably be cheaper. Although the placements could be anywhere in the south-east.

What are your thoughts? Do you think Kings' prestigious name is worth it? Surrey is actually higher in the league table - although league tables don't really mean much.

Anyway, good luck with your choice! :smile:

Hi Melody, thank you for your message :smile: it sounds like you are in exactly the same situation as me. I think you have summed it up well! I have messaged students at all 3 unis and they seem to enjoy it. You're right Kings has an excellent reputation, has the kitchens and would be a good place to go if at the end of it you wanted to work in a London hospital. Surrey has other facilities like practice ward patients which might be useful. I also love their sports park and it is easier to get to than at kings. All 3 unis would be great places to study and it sounds as if the courses are fairly similar.

I had a look at the league tables too. Overall surrey is higher but i think if you filter for food or bio science then kings is ranked higher. At the moment I am trying to decide where I will be happiest living as this will affect my grades.

At the moment I am slightly favoring surrey because it is a campus uni and the sports facilities and sports teams are close by. Which just makes life a bit easier after long hours of studying. There would be a lot more travelling for me at kings. I might visit them both again before deciding...

One thing that I did really like at kings was the research. I have been told the research at surrey is also excellent though.

Have you made any progress with your decision?

Sorry for slow reply I am currently on holiday and internet isn't great.
Original post by dieteticsguy
Hi Melody, thank you for your message :smile: it sounds like you are in exactly the same situation as me. I think you have summed it up well! I have messaged students at all 3 unis and they seem to enjoy it. You're right Kings has an excellent reputation, has the kitchens and would be a good place to go if at the end of it you wanted to work in a London hospital. Surrey has other facilities like practice ward patients which might be useful. I also love their sports park and it is easier to get to than at kings. All 3 unis would be great places to study and it sounds as if the courses are fairly similar.

I had a look at the league tables too. Overall surrey is higher but i think if you filter for food or bio science then kings is ranked higher. At the moment I am trying to decide where I will be happiest living as this will affect my grades.

At the moment I am slightly favoring surrey because it is a campus uni and the sports facilities and sports teams are close by. Which just makes life a bit easier after long hours of studying. There would be a lot more travelling for me at kings. I might visit them both again before deciding...

One thing that I did really like at kings was the research. I have been told the research at surrey is also excellent though.

Have you made any progress with your decision?

Sorry for slow reply I am currently on holiday and internet isn't great.

Hi dieteticsguy - Wow! Those are really great offers. May I ask if you did any work experience or shadowing, and if so where and what? I am preparing myself ready to apply for 2015 and want some kind of idea of what level of experience Kings and Surrey would want - I am really interested in going to either of these, or Nottingham :smile:

Thanks
Reply 4
helloimamy, I'm applying for next year too, how exciting!
I was wandering the same things, is the interview as scary as they say? and what kind of work experience and things has everyone done? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Nm
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending