The Student Room Group

Nottingham Trent/City University London/Westminster University for Law?

Hey there,

This year I'm applying for Law (LLB) at these Universities:

Nottingham Trent University

City University London

Westminster University

And (might) be applying for: Middlesex and Greenwich University

I've seen previous posts about City saying it's a BBB uni with AAA grades, but for 2015 entry they've reduced their entry requirements to BBB + AS Level

I've chosen the first three to apply for because they do the LPC where I am guaranteed a place plus reduced fees

Two things I do not care about:

Accommodation:
I have family who live in both Nottingham and London
Night-life:
I want to spend my four years at uni to study, not to party and go clubbing

Has anyone been to these universities or been to them and have done law? Are they any good? (I don't want to hear obnoxious opinions from people who have never stepped foot in those universities) I know City is higher than my other options in the league tables. City and Trent are the two (if I hopefully get offers from) I will make my choices for.

Plus (just an extra point) would I be at a disadvantage because I've retaken Year 12?

Thanks in advance
You are wasting your time if you want to work in a City law firm. If you want to work in a high street firm in Nottingham, then Trent, if London, City - and try to get work experience with firms which might take you on whilst at university.

City firms don't accept less than AAB, they can make exceptions if you went somewhere good like Bristol or if you have a first...but they won't for these universities. You will be filtered out. A first from any of these universities will give you good opportunities both within and outside law -- but even with a first from City you will struggle to get a London law firm, especially given your A-levels. City is the best university of these and most well known - but honestly it is not a good university. I can't recommend you go there though - look on unistats, about 1-3% get firsts, 35% 2:2s. Trent has a higher number of firsts, 11%, but more 2:2s and 3rds, around 45%. Basically you have to be right at the top of the cohort in the year to even stand a shot at some firms which is far from guaranteed.

You are better off applying for a less competitive course elsewhere. Quite frankly a lot of employers will bin your CV from these universities. I've got a first from a Russell, and a load of work experience, and am currently working in a crap job I hate. I don't want to sound jaded, but the graduate recruitment market absolutely sucks. I'm starting to apply for training contracts now I think, having decided to leave it for a bit - I reckon I might get a few interviews, but most will reject me beforehand. It is simply that competitive.

In sum, it comes down to a) do you want to paralegal b) end up in a high street firm. If you are happy with these outcomes, then choose the university nearest the area you want to ultimately live and work.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheOneTrueEvian
You are wasting your time if you want to work in a City law firm. If you want to work in a high street firm in Nottingham, then Trent, if London, City - and try to get work experience with firms which might take you on whilst at university.

City firms don't accept less than AAB, they can make exceptions if you went somewhere good like Bristol or if you have a first...but they won't for these universities. You will be filtered out. A first from any of these universities will give you good opportunities both within and outside law -- but even with a first from City you will struggle to get a London law firm, especially given your A-levels. City is the best university of these and most well known - but honestly it is not a good university. I can't recommend you go there though - look on unistats, about 1-3% get firsts, 35% 2:2s. Trent has a higher number of firsts, 11%, but more 2:2s and 3rds, around 45%. Basically you have to be right at the top of the cohort in the year to even stand a shot at some firms which is far from guaranteed.

You are better off applying for a less competitive course elsewhere. Quite frankly a lot of employers will bin your CV from these universities. I've got a first from a Russell, and a load of work experience, and am currently working in a crap job I hate. I don't want to sound jaded, but the graduate recruitment market absolutely sucks. I'm starting to apply for training contracts now I think, having decided to leave it for a bit - I reckon I might get a few interviews, but most will reject me beforehand. It is simply that competitive.

In sum, it comes down to a) do you want to paralegal b) end up in a high street firm. If you are happy with these outcomes, then choose the university nearest the area you want to ultimately live and work.

I want to work in London firms, I born, bred and raised there - I moved to Nottingham with my family last year - but my mum is pushing me to go to Trent rather than return to London.

I only want to apply for unis in Nottingham and London, anywhere else it's living in student rents for three/four years - I would only be prepared to do that if it was Oxbridge - but realistically I cannot get into the Russell Groups, they're asking for A*AA - grades I cannot get (I could but I'm being completely realistic so it's off my list)

I was asking about the uni's as a whole, I keep getting mixed opinions: it's either really good/good/alright/bad/really bad - I'm going to their open days in a few months time, but I just wanted a clear-cut rating of it - I mean you said to a Russell Group (which one?) so you know, you can easily dismiss unis under the top 20 on league tables.

Oh and I want to be a solicitor, I was originally intending to be a barrister, but being self-employed wouldn't work for me
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by iamyourmum
I saw in another law thread that someone who went to Nottingham Trent had a TC with a magic circle firm
He had a 1st and a lot of extra-curriculars

What did you mean by that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Not Anonymous
What did you mean by that?

Training contract with one of these firms?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Circle_(law)
Original post by Not Anonymous
I want to work in London firms, I born, bred and raised there - I moved to Nottingham with my family last year - but my mum is pushing me to go to Trent rather than return to London.

I only want to apply for unis in Nottingham and London, anywhere else it's living in student rents for three/four years - I would only be prepared to do that if it was Oxbridge - but realistically I cannot get into the Russell Groups, they're asking for A*AA - grades I cannot get (I could but I'm being completely realistic so it's off my list)

I was asking about the uni's as a whole, I keep getting mixed opinions: it's either really good/good/alright/bad/really bad - I'm going to their open days in a few months time, but I just wanted a clear-cut rating of it - I mean you said to a Russell Group (which one?) so you know, you can easily dismiss unis under the top 20 on league tables.

Oh and I want to be a solicitor, I was originally intending to be a barrister, but being self-employed wouldn't work for me

I was pretty clear - don't do law, you don't have the grades for a good uni - do something else at any Russell Group, or one of the better 1994 Groups.

I reported the other guy's post for referencing a linkedin profile of a student. It's not fair for me to say, but I will because moderation should have removed it, that the person doesn't even have a training contract. Simply put, the guy's a moron and you don't want to listen to him.

Realistically if you go to one of these universities and end up with a 2:1, you will find it very difficult even getting into a high street criminal firm in London. I have friends with 2:1s from Russell Groups like UCL who struggled to get a high street TC in London, and did the LPC unfunded first. You can also see the odds at a first at these universities in law can be quite low especially compared to other subjects.

I'm not sure if you're trolling, but I consider this to be good advice. If you want to go to one of these places anyway and want to ignore me relying on that one guy you heard about on a forum who got a first from Trent and made it all the way to the magic circle, you go do that.

Most of what you have said is correct apart from on thing. Only the very top City firms require AAB such as the Magic and Silver Circle. The vast majority set filters at ABB from what I have seen.
Examples:
DLA Piper, Charles Russel, Eversheds, Henmans Freath, Taylor Wessing and CMS to mention a few.
Original post by adamsmithqm
Most of what you have said is correct apart from on thing. Only the very top City firms require AAB such as the Magic and Silver Circle. The vast majority set filters at ABB from what I have seen.
Examples:
DLA Piper, Charles Russel, Eversheds, Henmans Freath, Taylor Wessing and CMS to mention a few.

Yes, this is completely true, I forgot....this is the basic filter.
I was pretty clear - don't do law, you don't have the grades for a good uni - do something else at any Russell Group, or one of the better 1994 Groups.

I reported the other guy's post for referencing a linkedin profile of a student. It's not fair for me to say, but I will because moderation should have removed it, that the person doesn't even have a training contract. Simply put, the guy's a moron and you don't want to listen to him.

Realistically if you go to one of these universities and end up with a 2:1, you will find it very difficult even getting into a high street criminal firm in London. I have friends with 2:1s from Russell Groups like UCL who struggled to get a high street TC in London, and did the LPC unfunded first. You can also see the odds at a first at these universities in law can be quite low especially compared to other subjects.

I'm not sure if you're trolling, but I consider this to be good advice. If you want to go to one of these places anyway and want to ignore me relying on that one guy you heard about on a forum who got a first from Trent and made it all the way to the magic circle, you go do that.

Sorry :c
Shouldn't have posted a linkedin profile and mislead OP

I was under the impression that some law firms are CV-blind and won't know which university you attended until the final stages of the application process but I guess I was mistaken

for what it's worth to the OP, this was the post i was referencing

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=46784661&highlight=

It's the last post on the page by emma_829

It wasn't a MC firm though ... my bad
(edited 10 years ago)

Hi! I have found your reply to the thread very helpful actually. And I have got a question to you myself, I am kind of in a dilemma right now. I need to decide between City University and Southampton and the only thing that confuses me is that one of the unis is at London whereas the other is at Southampton(which looks like a really small and bad city). Don't you think it's easier in London for example to get involved with other things that could fill the CV whereas in Southampton it's just the student societies? Well, is it worth to go to Southampton because it's just Russell Group? Do you think it's really important for me to choose Southampton over City in order to get into a magic circle firm later? Thanks a lot! :smile:
Original post by naberbenbegum
Hi! I have found your reply to the thread very helpful actually. And I have got a question to you myself, I am kind of in a dilemma right now. I need to decide between City University and Southampton and the only thing that confuses me is that one of the unis is at London whereas the other is at Southampton(which looks like a really small and bad city). Don't you think it's easier in London for example to get involved with other things that could fill the CV whereas in Southampton it's just the student societies? Well, is it worth to go to Southampton because it's just Russell Group? Do you think it's really important for me to choose Southampton over City in order to get into a magic circle firm later? Thanks a lot! :smile:

Southampton without a doubt, no dilemma. Re London q, no/doesn't matter.
I know this hasn't been looked at for months, at the time I didn't want to hear any criticisms so I didn't bother to reply. I'm purely writing this for anyone who's reading this for next years entry. I crossed Westminster off my list. TheOneTrueEvian was completely right about these universities. They're crap.

I went to the Trent open day in July, it was so basic, the lecturers were just talking about stuff I've read off the website. After looking at Leicester two weeks later, Trent was at the bottom of my list

Yesterday, I went to look at Reading and City. Reading was flipping amazing, I really liked it there, the vibe was great. The law lecturer was nice and very informative, going into much more depth in the course than the lecturers at Trent did. I asked him a question about offers and the EPQ, he asked where else I was looking at. I said "Leicester, Trent, and City".

He said "Hmm City isn't a reputable university for Law, and I would avoid Trent at all costs. Leicester has an excellent law school, but if you're looking to go into a career in law, then avoid the last two"

He was saying about Trent's previous status as a college then getting a university status, which doesn't make it a reputable university

I rushed from Reading to City, I got to the talk fifteen minutes late. I sat in the "lecture theatre" (it was quite crap) for 5 minutes and I already wanted to leave. The lecturer was boring, just reading off the slides, not really showing what makes this university unique in its own way. Fully relied on the PowerPoint, I could have just sat at home reading it online. They use Moodle to get and receive work. It's like going to a different college than going to a university. The lecturer made one past and one current student take questions. I was at the university for half an hour, I'm so glad I went - it's crap, and if I ever go there, it will be because I have seriously flopped hard. My conclusion: If you be a lawyer and you're looking for universities to do law - if they are not in the top 35 then forget and study something else at a Russell Group

Original post by naberbenbegum

(sorry you probably don't care about this anymore, but oh well) If you chose City over Southampton, you're a nutter. Russell Groups are the elite. Competition is harsh, so if you apply, and get an offer TAKE IT. I don't know if you went to the City open day, but I bet 100% of everyone you ask this to will say Southampton over city. Yet, don't just think you went to a Russell, therefore you will get into a MC - I've read a lot about becoming a solicitor, it isn't easier. Going to a Russell Group Uni or Oxbridge just puts you one step higher above others. Sadly, Russell Groups asks for high entry requirements for law (AAA+ excluding Liverpool which asks for ABB). I'm looking at really good uni's which aren't in that group asking for AAB

Thanks for your advice, you checkmated me from the start tbh

Ah...harsh but good advice honestly

Posted from TSR Mobile
But...still can't op then do a masters at a rg like ucl/kcl/lse or even Cambridge to compensate it, along with a first and relevant experience? The world's not over:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending