The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My class are trying to come up with an entity relationship diagram, any ideas anyone?

We think perhaps a Students table, Productions table, Characters table, Jobs table and an Assignment table to link them all together.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Hello,

My class have come up with four tables, Students, Jobs, Performances and Characters.
What do you mean by assignment table?
We thought that a fifth table is needed so that you can link the tables all together, like a 'booking' or 'results' table that you would see on past papers. Performances, students, characters and jobs are all separate bits of data, that's why we think a fifth table is needed which links them all together.

We called it assignment because in the scenario is says "storing the character assignment if all requirements are met" and "storing the job assignment is all requirements are met" so we think there may be a assignments table which shows all of the assigned actors and students to their characters and jobs against each different performance ID.

What do you think??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by joshhpalmer
We thought that a fifth table is needed so that you can link the tables all together, like a 'booking' or 'results' table that you would see on past papers. Performances, students, characters and jobs are all separate bits of data, that's why we think a fifth table is needed which links them all together.

We called it assignment because in the scenario is says "storing the character assignment if all requirements are met" and "storing the job assignment is all requirements are met" so we think there may be a assignments table which shows all of the assigned actors and students to their characters and jobs against each different performance ID.

What do you think??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay, that makes a lot more sense I told my class today about that and we think there now could be 5 tables.

We think this exam is going to be a lot harder, how are you feeling about it?
Reply 5
k thx
What would the performances table include? the dates of production?
If you do it this way with the Assignment Table then will there not will be Null values depending on their choice? Because the assignment table has to have both fields primary key fields from the jobs table and characters table. If the student is an actor then the
Our initial thoughts were five tables with a table for Wizard of Oz characters and separate table for the production jobs. We've now arrived at a more efficient database system with only four tables (Students, CastList, ProductionJobs, Productions). The ProductionJobs table contains a Boolean field for the allocation of each job. The CastList table then stores assignments with ProductionID, JobID and StudentNo included. I'd be interested in any opinions on this proposal.
Reply 9
Personally, my class believes that there will be four tables as mentioned before. We do however, disagree with the assignment table as we think that there will more than likely be a student ID which will be able to link Students, Jobs and Characters tables. Maybe the production table can be linked with possibly a production name? Would be happy to hear any feedback.
Original post by Beachie
Personally, my class believes that there will be four tables as mentioned before. We do however, disagree with the assignment table as we think that there will more than likely be a student ID which will be able to link Students, Jobs and Characters tables. Maybe the production table can be linked with possibly a production name? Would be happy to hear any feedback.

It sounds as though our thinking is along similar lines. We too believe there will be a StudentID field as there often has been in the past. Please note that StudentNo in my previous post refers to Pre Release terminology, as it is described there as a student number. These two share the same meaning in the given context.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by HeyRustyJames
It sounds as though our thinking is along similar lines. We too believe there will be a StudentID field as there often has been in the past. Please note that StudentNo in my previous post refers to Pre Release terminology, as it is described there as a student number. These two share the same meaning in the given context.

Yeah I definitely think that there will be student ID field, have you done a mock yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Our college has done a mock but we haven't gone through testing, reports or evaluations
I think there will be 4 tables - one of which being a link table
Looking back, the examiner may accept 4 or 5 tables
Reply 15
Original post by jasmineeee1996
Our college has done a mock but we haven't gone through testing, reports or evaluations

Ahh we've been through loads of mocks we've covered everything it's just remembering everything now, yeah my teacher said there will be at least 4 tables and no more than 5

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just wish we could have the exam data now to practice with aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by joshhpalmer
I just wish we could have the exam data now to practice with aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha same, our teacher was thinking it's going to be end of may for our school but we have no idea the exam officer needs to tell us when we can do it, I don't like not knowing haha
Reply 18
How are you all revising for this? I am a bit unsure because I know that I am going to struggle with the macros as I know what they are but I can't really remember the order of everything haha! I don't have database on my laptop at home either and seeing as we've got two week off right now that isn't really ideal! :confused:
Reply 19
Original post by jasmineeee1996

Our class have been through testing, reports we need a little bit more work on and evaluation we need a lot more work on, I just spoke about how well the system works what doesn't work and what the system could do to make it better, if that helps :h:

Latest