The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Ask a current student

PLEASE READ THE FAQ

This thread was made to help future students, and many current students will be posting replies as and when they can. A very short FAQ has been provided below.

I hope we can answer your questions! :smile:

FAQ.

How much does it cost to do laundry?
Top up card operated. Standard wash is £2.30 and standard dry is £1.30. Takes about 35 and 50 minutes - respectively.

What is the internet speed like?
Fibre optic. 50-100mbps.

What is the nearest supermarket?
Morrisons at the bottom of Ffriddoedd Road, you can't miss it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What was fresher's week like for you?:smile:
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
How far is the normal site and the main building? Is it a 15-20 minutes walk? :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by EXOticVIPelf
What was fresher's week like for you?:smile:

Every day was different. In the day we had general talks about uni and little admin things like choosing modules (some do this online, it depends on the school), it wasn't really taxing. On the nights I alternated between hanging out with flatmates, going on socials with my school (fun centres, quiz nights, general fun bonding things), and going to Academi.

Freshers week there are a lot things organised by your schools peer guides so you always have something to do (but you can reject them!). It was a really fun experience and went really fast.
Reply 4
Original post by chanelly
How far is the normal site and the main building? Is it a 15-20 minutes walk? :redface:

Yeah I would say 15/20 minutes. I don't live there and so have never done the walk but I wouldn't expect it to take long. If you are looking for cheaper halls closer to the uni I would look at the older halls on Ffridd site like Elidir or even older with shared bathroom, Reichel.
Original post by EloiseStar
Every day was different. In the day we had general talks about uni and little admin things like choosing modules (some do this online, it depends on the school), it wasn't really taxing. On the nights I alternated between hanging out with flatmates, going on socials with my school (fun centres, quiz nights, general fun bonding things), and going to Academi.

Freshers week there are a lot things organised by your schools peer guides so you always have something to do (but you can reject them!). It was a really fun experience and went really fast.

Thank you for taking your time to reply, that sounds good :biggrin: what shops are there around Bangor? Also how easy is it to get a job there?
Reply 6
Thank you for taking your time to reply, that sounds good :biggrin: what shops are there around Bangor? Also how easy is it to get a job there?

I wanna know too. I'm an international student, is it more difficult to find a job in Bangor?
Are there certain parts of the city that students tend to live in?
I noticed bangor scored quite low on the amount of money they spend on resources, how well equipped do you find your department, the library and the computer rooms?
thanks
Reply 8
I wanna know too. I'm an international student, is it more difficult to find a job in Bangor?

Bangor is a very Welsh-speaking area so typically Welsh speaking students get jobs easier however a lot of English speaking students get jobs as club reps, working through the university, in the town (less likely) or transfer from their jobs at home. There's jobs advertised quite a lot. If you can, come to Bangor in August/early September to hand your CV out and job hunt.

Original post by mmquicksand
Are there certain parts of the city that students tend to live in?
I noticed bangor scored quite low on the amount of money they spend on resources, how well equipped do you find your department, the library and the computer rooms?
thanks

Students tend to live in Upper Bangor (you will soon realise where this is when you get here- not down the hill!), this is where all the University ran halls are and in second year students tend to stay up here. However, science students often can find cheaper accommodation in lower Bangor which in general is closer to their buildings. Saying this, the liklihood is you won't be living with all science students second/third year.
I have never had a problem with my department's resources. The library is generally well-stocked, plus they have a great range of e-books which are the same as the books which are normally in high demand - especially around essay/exam times. Personally, I have only ever used a computer room once and I can't really comment. I usually use my laptop which connects to the university wifi in almost all university buildings (I'm yet to find out without wifi). Plus you can print to the university printers from your personal computer/laptop.

Food-wise: Morrisons, Asda, Aldi, Lidl, Iceland, and a Tesco further out which you need a car to reach (I've probably missed one out!).
It's easier for Welsh speakers however a lot of English speakers become club reps, work through the university, transfer from home jobs, or are able to find jobs around the town. I often see signs in windows looking for workers but speaking Welsh will give you an advantage. Saying that I have never known anyone to have a problem finding a job.
Bangor is a very Welsh-speaking area so typically Welsh speaking students get jobs easier however a lot of English speaking students get jobs as club reps, working through the university, in the town (less likely) or transfer from their jobs at home. There's jobs advertised quite a lot. If you can, come to Bangor in August/early September to hand your CV out and job hunt.

Students tend to live in Upper Bangor (you will soon realise where this is when you get here- not down the hill!), this is where all the University ran halls are and in second year students tend to stay up here. However, science students often can find cheaper accommodation in lower Bangor which in general is closer to their buildings. Saying this, the liklihood is you won't be living with all science students second/third year.
I have never had a problem with my department's resources. The library is generally well-stocked, plus they have a great range of e-books which are the same as the books which are normally in high demand - especially around essay/exam times. Personally, I have only ever used a computer room once and I can't really comment. I usually use my laptop which connects to the university wifi in almost all university buildings (I'm yet to find out without wifi). Plus you can print to the university printers from your personal computer/laptop.

Food-wise: Morrisons, Asda, Aldi, Lidl, Iceland, and a Tesco further out which you need a car to reach (I've probably missed one out!).
It's easier for Welsh speakers however a lot of English speakers become club reps, work through the university, transfer from home jobs, or are able to find jobs around the town. I often see signs in windows looking for workers but speaking Welsh will give you an advantage. Saying that I have never known anyone to have a problem finding a job.

Okay, that sounds good! What things will we need to take, in terms of kitchen items and things for the halls we'll be living in?
Okay, that sounds good! What things will we need to take, in terms of kitchen items and things for the halls we'll be living in?

No appliances. Cutlery, plates, pots and pans, chopping boards, graters, general stuff you would use in the kitchen. There's an oven, two sets of hobs, a microwave, kettle and fridge and freezer provided. A lot of people choose to bring George Foreman grills (a good investment!) but the cookers work perfectly fine. In terms of halls in general can you be more specific? Do you mean bedroom? Bathroom? It's easier for me to say what's provided than list what to bring :smile: (not that you need bring loads).
No appliances. Cutlery, plates, pots and pans, chopping boards, graters, general stuff you would use in the kitchen. There's an oven, two sets of hobs, a microwave, kettle and fridge and freezer provided. A lot of people choose to bring George Foreman grills (a good investment!) but the cookers work perfectly fine. In terms of halls in general can you be more specific? Do you mean bedroom? Bathroom? It's easier for me to say what's provided than list what to bring :smile: (not that you need bring loads).

Thank you, I apologise for asking so many questions but you're helping a lot! :colondollar: I meant for the bedroom, sorry. Also, you know that we have to pay deposit for our accommodation, do we have to pay that on the first day we arrive or can we pay the day we get out loans in our banks? Also, is the deposit fee £300.. or does it change yearly? Sorry, I forgot how much we have to pay and don't know where I read £300 from so I don't know if what I recall is correct :K:
Thank you, I apologise for asking so many questions but you're helping a lot! :colondollar: I meant for the bedroom, sorry. Also, you know that we have to pay deposit for our accommodation, do we have to pay that on the first day we arrive or can we pay the day we get out loans in our banks? Also, is the deposit fee £300.. or does it change yearly? Sorry, I forgot how much we have to pay and don't know where I read £300 from so I don't know if what I recall is correct :K:

The £300 is the same every year as far as I am aware for when you are in halls of residence- YOU ONLY PAY WHEN YOU ARE IN HALLS TO SECURE YOUR ROOM! You pay this once your choice of halls has been offered so in August. You have to pay it before you arrive to secure your room. I think more information can be found on the accommodation section of the website. You pay the 300 before you arrive and when you pay for your accommodation (3 instalments a few days after your loan comes in), and the 300 is deducted from the total cost of the years accommodation. I hope that makes sense.

You need to bring a duvet and pillow as well as covers, coat hangers, washing basket, maybe a few storage boxes and organisers. Bins are provided. A toilet brush is good too! A lot is provided!

I don't mind the questions, hence the thread! I know how reassuring it is to have the answers go keep them coming :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I just realised my first answer implied you pay the deposit twice. You pay it once and it's deducted from your final bill. Sorry, it's late and I should have spell/grammar checked!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm an international student, can I learn Welsh in the Uni?:confused: I have heard that there's a Welsh class for beginners, does it count the credit? As the programme I'm going to study is not BA (I will be studying Bmus), which means I can not choose the Welsh class? I really want to learn Welsh!:smile:
Also, I have another question in regard of the deposit of tuition fee. I've received my confirmation letter from UCAS, they said I needed take no action until the University send me joining instructions before I start my course Bangor is my firm choice). However I'd like to ask approximately what time can I pay the deposit? Around July? Coz I have to apply Visa asap. Thank you for answering my question :smile:
I'm an international student, can I learn Welsh in the Uni?:confused: I have heard that there's a Welsh class for beginners, does it count the credit? As the programme I'm going to study is not BA (I will be studying Bmus), which means I can not choose the Welsh class? I really want to learn Welsh!:smile:

I'm sorry I have no idea whether you can learn Welsh. I know they do language classes that do not count towards credit in French, Italian, Chinese and a few other languages. I advise contacting the university for that information. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, I have another question in regard of the deposit of tuition fee. I've received my confirmation letter from UCAS, they said I needed take no action until the University send me joining instructions before I start my course Bangor is my firm choice). However I'd like to ask approximately what time can I pay the deposit? Around July? Coz I have to apply Visa asap. Thank you for answering my question :smile:

Again, I don't know the answer. I'm a current student and can really only answer questions about what university life is like, and my experiences at the university! I recommend contacting the university if you really want to know, however I would expect that they would write to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I am looking to study Physical Education and French and i'm stuck were to choose accommodation , i wanna be close to the town but not to far from a Gym and close to my classes, any suggestions ? .
What is the nightlife like as well , is there many night club's and when are the student nights ?
Plus is there a Gaelic Team for the university ?
Original post by CraigDevlin
Hey I am looking to study Physical Education and French and i'm stuck were to choose accommodation , i wanna be close to the town but not to far from a Gym and close to my classes, any suggestions ? .
What is the nightlife like as well , is there many night club's and when are the student nights ?
Plus is there a Gaelic Team for the university ?

Hey. We have a gym on site so any Ffriddoedd halls will be good for use of the gym on a regular basis. It's the cheapest gym (90 a year). The other gyms are quite a distance. (Saying this there may be a gym on normal site but I gave never heard anyone speak of it!)
All the ffridd site accommodation is together and a 10 minute walk from the centre. Normal site is further out. There is also student accommodation closet to town but it isn't university owned and doesn't have an on site gym.
As the the uni has it's own club every night has a different theme, rock, cheese etc. Typically speaking locals night is Saturday so student night is every day other that Saturday! There aren't that many clubs but there is variety of stuff at Academi and other bars. There's something like 53 pubs in Bangor so there's always somewhere to go (note pub and not nightclub!).

I'm not sure about a Gaelic team but if there isn't and you have enough interest the student union will provide funding for you to create one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply