The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Ask a current student

Scroll to see replies

The congestion is bad what ever the time you arrive.. I arrived mid afternoon last year...

There is sometimes tickets you can buy before the night, but really don't worry. Hunt FAcebook for your halls groups 2015-16 and for the Bangor freshers page :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
What is necessary to take with you to halls when you move in?
Original post by hddtheone
What is necessary to take with you to halls when you move in?

Clothes, plates, pans, cutlery etc.
Stuff you need to cook with, knives, chopping board plates etc. but there is already kettles and toasters and what not.

Clothes.

Laptop tablet, phone, chargers for all.

Bring stuff to decorate your room with and bedding. You need your own bedding, duvet and pillows.

Photos are nice, especially if you are worried about being slightly homesick.

There is a poster sale at the Bar Uno on the Fridd site in freshers week every year.

Biscuits,... So you can start getting to know your flat mates when they move.. Excellent way to ask people and get to know them over a couple of biscuits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 284
I don't know if anyones like me but I'm starting to get extremely nervous about results day and, even though I shouldn't, I'm starting to wonder what the chances are of me being accepted if I don't reach my condition (260 UCAS). Also I've heard that some Uni's let you know if you've got in before results day and I was wondering if Bangor is like that?
Original post by LRC18
I don't know if anyones like me but I'm starting to get extremely nervous about results day and, even though I shouldn't, I'm starting to wonder what the chances are of me being accepted if I don't reach my condition (260 UCAS). Also I've heard that some Uni's let you know if you've got in before results day and I was wondering if Bangor is like that?

Try not to worry too much! I know results day is soon.

Bangor have been known to be quite lenient, so try not to worry! Bangor not sure about letting you know the day before, but you will find out on the day, possibly even before you get your A level results!

Just enjoy your summer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last year I spoke to many who were let in without meeting UCAS reqs, I think Bangor is very lenient as they have little to lose as lots of people will drop out if they feel like they cannot cope. It's worth giving people the opportunity.
Reply 287
Hi can someone who received the full student loan amount, or near enough, advise me on how much you get paid in the first term and roughly how long did you wait from registration ? Thankyou in advance !
Original post by 3773
Hi can someone who received the full student loan amount, or near enough, advise me on how much you get paid in the first term and roughly how long did you wait from registration ? Thankyou in advance !

I received the full amount. It works in two separate payments (or at least thats how it looks when I look at the payments from my bank ingoings).

One payment was for £865.26 and then £1720.00 on the same day.

Bare in mind that i'm Welsh and get the Welsh grant, it will be different for English.

By registration I think you're talking about when you get your student card etc.

There will be an email sent to you ready for when you can register. Usually a few weeks before starting term.

When you arrive you will then want to get your registration fully complete by getting the student card.

Not sure if you can do it on the first day, but I remember doing it on the second day and the place I went to to do it was on Fridd Site next to the shop where they have computers set up with webcams if you hadn't already took your photo or registered online fully yet.
Do many use laptops to take notes during lectures? I'm thinking of buying a new one but which one will depend on how often I'm going to use it. Is there wifi throughout all the buildings?

Also, regarding the student loans, when do they come through? If I get in I won't have pretty much any money at all until my loan comes in…Have any of you received the Bangor Bursary? When does that come in? I've heard some horror stories about student loans not coming through till November!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 290
Original post by DecantedOrange
Do many use laptops to take notes during lectures? I'm thinking of buying a new one but which one will depend on how often I'm going to use it. Is there wifi throughout all the buildings?

Also, regarding the student loans, when do they come through? If I get in I won't have pretty much any money at all until my loan comes in…Have any of you received the Bangor Bursary? When does that come in? I've heard some horror stories about student loans not coming through till November!!

You can check on the letter you should of recieved from SLT but I know mine isn't coming through till mid/end of October
Original post by DecantedOrange

It is quite a mix really. A mix of traditional pen/paper, laptops and smartphones.I personally use pen+paper because 1. I don't have a laptop or smartphone and 2. Less likely to be distracted.

It can look suspicious sometimes with smartphones because some lecturers may not yet understand they can be used to take notes, have seen people get called out for using them.

When I look around I see so many people using Facebook or something else though.

In my block there is free wifi. As for every building I am not sure. I would imagine there is though.

My loan came through the week before freshers. I do know a few people that had to wait till around November for theirs however. No idea what determines this though.

I got the Bursary for £1000. It came in after Xmas I think. Maybe later even.
Does anyone know when the university will get in touch with you after receiving your grades? I have had my conformation from college that I have enough to go. I have also revived my AS12N from UCAS saying that I have achieved my place.
Original post by THE EPIC Panda
Does anyone know when the university will get in touch with you after receiving your grades? I have had my conformation from college that I have enough to go. I have also revived my AS12N from UCAS saying that I have achieved my place.

I didn't really get anything until closer to the date of arrival. Around mid-late August.
Original post by EloiseStar
I didn't really get anything until closer to the date of arrival. Around mid-late August.

Ok, Thank you.
Reply 295
Does anyone know if the wardrobes in halls on fridd have shelves or is it just a rail? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Please help me...........

It just dawned on me that my application requires a DBS check, while I have this and have subscribed to the online service and have noted the staff, I have to go up to the university in person and hand it in. I won't be able to do so until I know my grades and my journey is not in vain (it's a long way)
Will they accept me on my application if I haven't been in person or will they have me on pending? I'm pretty sure i'll get in because my DBS is clean but I want to know what to expect on results day as it won't be celebratory until I've been confirmed securely.

Thanks everyone
Original post by rp123education
Hi,

Please help me...........

It just dawned on me that my application requires a DBS check, while I have this and have subscribed to the online service and have noted the staff, I have to go up to the university in person and hand it in. I won't be able to do so until I know my grades and my journey is not in vain (it's a long way)
Will they accept me on my application if I haven't been in person or will they have me on pending? I'm pretty sure i'll get in because my DBS is clean but I want to know what to expect on results day as it won't be celebratory until I've been confirmed securely.

Thanks everyone

So wait, you have criminal offences? If yes then I don't know what to say other than contact the uni for best help possible.

If you don't have any criminal offences (you said it was clean so I am confused) then you don't need to do anything IIRC.
Original post by Welsh Locs
So wait, you have criminal offences? If yes then I don't know what to say other than contact the uni for best help possible.

If you don't have any criminal offences (you said it was clean so I am confused) then you don't need to do anything IIRC.

No I don't have any criminal offences. I was wondering if I will be accepted or left waiting until I give the DBS in person.

If I get the grades on results day will they definitely accept or wait.
Original post by rp123education
No I don't have any criminal offences. I was wondering if I will be accepted or left waiting until I give the DBS in person.

If I get the grades on results day will they definitely accept or wait.

Yeah usually if you don't have any offences then you don't need to fill in that part on the application at all. Might be different for foreign students but even if it was it would be really non-practical if you had to hand it in in person before knowing if you're accepted. I don't believe that is how it would work at all.

See if you can change your application so that it doesn't include any need for a CRB/DBS because usually you only need to include those if you have a record.

Quick Reply

Latest