The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Ask a current student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EloiseStar
Hey. We have a gym on site so any Ffriddoedd halls will be good for use of the gym on a regular basis. It's the cheapest gym (90 a year). The other gyms are quite a distance. (Saying this there may be a gym on normal site but I gave never heard anyone speak of it!)
All the ffridd site accommodation is together and a 10 minute walk from the centre. Normal site is further out. There is also student accommodation closet to town but it isn't university owned and doesn't have an on site gym.
As the the uni has it's own club every night has a different theme, rock, cheese etc. Typically speaking locals night is Saturday so student night is every day other that Saturday! There aren't that many clubs but there is variety of stuff at Academi and other bars. There's something like 53 pubs in Bangor so there's always somewhere to go (note pub and not nightclub!).

I'm not sure about a Gaelic team but if there isn't and you have enough interest the student union will provide funding for you to create one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's super thank you very much :smile:
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
:bump:
I know this may sound like a stupid question, :colondollar: but how often do the fire bells go off at night at the Ffridoedd site compared to the Normal site?
Hi there, thanks a lot for this thread, already found some answers here. but still have some questions. I already ask about the prices for rent in the other thread. I am not sure you could answer my other questions, but perhaps you could send me some contacts of the people who can. So, since i am very much into sports and especially football. I was wondering about how often people play together just as amateurs and how hard is it to make to the university team of football or american football, since I played that too for quite some time in Finland. also is there any student competitions whether sport or more social once?
Original post by EXOticVIPelf
I know this may sound like a stupid question, :colondollar: but how often do the fire bells go off at night at the Ffridoedd site compared to the Normal site?

I can't really give you a comparison to be honest but I can tell you how it works. They are tested weekly and it lasts about 4 seconds. You don't have to go outside, they're just testing to see if they work.

There are two fire drills. One in semester 1, another in semester 2. They go off around 5am/2am respectively and they are repeated until your hall passes. Normally it takes two or three goes to pass and you have to be out in something like 3 minutes. Hope this helps.
Original post by Alex Sokol
Hi there, thanks a lot for this thread, already found some answers here. but still have some questions. I already ask about the prices for rent in the other thread. I am not sure you could answer my other questions, but perhaps you could send me some contacts of the people who can. So, since i am very much into sports and especially football. I was wondering about how often people play together just as amateurs and how hard is it to make to the university team of football or american football, since I played that too for quite some time in Finland. also is there any student competitions whether sport or more social once?

Hi! Unfortunately I don't know anyone on the football team or the American football team too well. Teams usually meet once or twice a week but that's not to say you can't play with others if you book somewhere to play with Maes Glas at another point during the week.

How hard it is to join? To actually make the team I guess it's dependent on how good everyone is. Sorry, I can't really answer this.

Yes there are competitions. Every year there's a major competition called Varsity between Bangor and Aberystwyth universities and most (or maybe all) sports compete within it. Aside from that I think there's weekly matches, and occasionally competing at other universities. This is relevant for the sports that I know some people play, I ASSUME its the same for football/American football.

Hope this helps.
Hi! Unfortunately I don't know anyone on the football team or the American football team too well. Teams usually meet once or twice a week but that's not to say you can't play with others if you book somewhere to play with Maes Glas at another point during the week.

How hard it is to join? To actually make the team I guess it's dependent on how good everyone is. Sorry, I can't really answer this.

Yes there are competitions. Every year there's a major competition called Varsity between Bangor and Aberystwyth universities and most (or maybe all) sports compete within it. Aside from that I think there's weekly matches, and occasionally competing at other universities. This is relevant for the sports that I know some people play, I ASSUME its the same for football/American football.

Hope this helps.

Yes that actually helps :smile: thanks! nice to know that there are people playing aside from the official university teams.
what about some social competitions/events like beer-pong challenge or hiking to the Snowdonia etc.?
Yes that actually helps :smile: thanks! nice to know that there are people playing aside from the official university teams.
what about some social competitions/events like beer-pong challenge or hiking to the Snowdonia etc.?

Can't say I know anything about beer pong going on but there are trips to Snowdonia.

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentlife/clubs_societies.php.en here is a full and comprehensive list of all the clubs and societies. Hopefully you can find something there.
:bump:
Reply 29

Hey, also a current student here, and whilst I can't particularly help out with Snowdonia (although I do know that there are mountain walking / climbing societies at the Uni, so it's highly likely that they will be going up Snowdonia regularly), I do know that there IS a dedicated beer-pong society, as well as it being a popular drinking game :wink: So, there's definitely opportunities for beer pong!
In terms of diversity of the students, how diverse is the student population in university? Also, if it's okay to ask, why did you choose Bangor university?
Original post by EXOticVIPelf
In terms of diversity of the students, how diverse is the student population in university? Also, if it's okay to ask, why did you choose Bangor university?

I would say that the student population is quite diverse, it'll be different for everyone because they come from different backgrounds. It's hard to give a definitive answer.

I initially went to Bangor's open day because I needed a university to fill in the gaps on my UCAS application. Aberystwyth had long been my favourite but when I got to Bangor I fell in love with it. Not sure why to be honest but the course talks were interesting, it seemed the right size (city wise). I left the open day feeling confused about where I should apply because my heart was now set on Bangor. In the end I applied for 2 courses at Bangor and Aberystwyth sent me an offer that was too high for me to realistically achieve. I put Bangor as my firm and have never regretted it.
Can anyone help me with my accommodation choices please? Definitely want to be on the Ffriddoedd site, but other than knowing Braint is above the shop, the info online basically tells you they're all the same! Just wondering if anyone here knows anything else about these halls to help me compare:
Braint
Llanddwyn
Glaslyn
Ffraw

Thanks!
Original post by rachelluise
Can anyone help me with my accommodation choices please? Definitely want to be on the Ffriddoedd site, but other than knowing Braint is above the shop, the info online basically tells you they're all the same! Just wondering if anyone here knows anything else about these halls to help me compare:
Braint
Llanddwyn
Glaslyn
Ffraw

Thanks!

I was in Braint so I'll fill you in. The contract for Braint ends roughly 3 weeks before the other halls so you move out earlier. The courses are finished by then so it does not affect you academically at all, it's just some of your friends may be staying longer meanwhile you have to go home. Yes Braint is above the shop which is VERY convenient and I will miss it.

It's also one of the smallest halls which means it is quieter. You hear people coming in from nights out and people coming from Uno but it's the same in most halls and really shouldn't influence your decision. I'm sure Llanddwyn is the largest halls (it's opposite Braint) so I'm guessing it could be quite loud.

Braint is also right next to the laundrette.

Any questions, let me know.
Original post by Aarun
Hey, also a current student here, and whilst I can't particularly help out with Snowdonia (although I do know that there are mountain walking / climbing societies at the Uni, so it's highly likely that they will be going up Snowdonia regularly), I do know that there IS a dedicated beer-pong society, as well as it being a popular drinking game :wink: So, there's definitely opportunities for beer pong!

awesome! looking forward to come and join the fun! being the 2 times unbeaten champion in my city, gotta need a new challenge :cool:
Reply 35
Hey,
I'm sorry if this question is too late, or has been asked already but here goes anyway...
I'm in the process of applying for accommodation and as I'm my course is History I was wondering whether I was meant to choose a hall with a 37 week lease or 40 week lease... Also I was wondering whether I would have to clear out my room at Christmas and Easter? Only I really want to avoid that as I live the other end of the country...
Thank you in advance for any help! :smile:
Original post by Tattyann
Hey,
I'm sorry if this question is too late, or has been asked already but here goes anyway...
I'm in the process of applying for accommodation and as I'm my course is History I was wondering whether I was meant to choose a hall with a 37 week lease or 40 week lease... Also I was wondering whether I would have to clear out my room at Christmas and Easter? Only I really want to avoid that as I live the other end of the country...

Hey, I'm also a current student at bangor so hopefully i can help with this. In terms of the 37 or 40 week contract, I wouldn't imagine it affects your course either way as your academic year will have finished by then anyway in both cases, I suppose it just depends if you prefer to stay in Bangor longer once you've done.

I believe that in almost all the halls, you don't have to clear your room out over the breaks. I was in Alaw and I didn't have to and I'm pretty sure the others are the same. If you've had a look on the halls site it should say if you have to clear your room over breaks, for example if you choose Adda, you have to clear your room over the Easter break, so worth checking the hall you want before applying to see if this is the case.
Reply 37
Original post by Tattyann
Hey,

To add to what Lauramay has said above me, as a current History student I can tell you that your course will definitely be finished by the 37 week period, so feel free to go with that option if you're so inclined. :smile:
Original post by xlauraxmayx
Hey, I'm also a current student at bangor so hopefully i can help with this. In terms of the 37 or 40 week contract, I wouldn't imagine it affects your course either way as your academic year will have finished by then anyway in both cases, I suppose it just depends if you prefer to stay in Bangor longer once you've done.

I believe that in almost all the halls, you don't have to clear your room out over the breaks. I was in Alaw and I didn't have to and I'm pretty sure the others are the same. If you've had a look on the halls site it should say if you have to clear your room over breaks, for example if you choose Adda, you have to clear your room over the Easter break, so worth checking the hall you want before applying to see if this is the case.

Hey,

Hope you don't mind me gatecrashing! Just wanted to let you know about another option for students in Bangor with 44 week contracts starting at £109.00 per week.

The great thing is that you can leave all your stuff over Christmas and Easter at no extra cost. Also if you decide to stay for the following year and you book the same room again you can leave all your stuff for free!

If you give our Accommodation Manager Nigel a call on 01248 371 450 he can give you much more info and book you in for a viewing! Or take a look at our website for more details - www.freshstudentliving.co.uk/neuaddwillis they are almost next door to the station and close to the town center and university buildings.

Many Thanks,
Katie @ Fresh
I was in Braint so I'll fill you in. The contract for Braint ends roughly 3 weeks before the other halls so you move out earlier. The courses are finished by then so it does not affect you academically at all, it's just some of your friends may be staying longer meanwhile you have to go home. Yes Braint is above the shop which is VERY convenient and I will miss it.

It's also one of the smallest halls which means it is quieter. You hear people coming in from nights out and people coming from Uno but it's the same in most halls and really shouldn't influence your decision. I'm sure Llanddwyn is the largest halls (it's opposite Braint) so I'm guessing it could be quite loud.

Braint is also right next to the laundrette.

Any questions, let me know.

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest