The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Ask a current student

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by philippad
Hi, can anyone tell me if there's enough space under the beds in the rooms to fit any storage boxes underneath? If not then what have any current students done storage-wise? :smile:

There is room, however the newer halls (£111 per week ones) comes with a draw underneath which is on wheels so its a bit of a pain if you want to put something in there :smile:
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Original post by BM3001
There is room, however the newer halls (£111 per week ones) comes with a draw underneath which is on wheels so its a bit of a pain if you want to put something in there :smile:

Thanks :smile: I went for reichel so hopefully I'm alright!
Reply 62
Just been on the Welcome Week website and it says that student loans don't cover hall costs yet I'm pretty sure that's what my maintenance loan is for...

Does anyone know when you have to pay the first instalment for halls, getting nervous now (probably for no reason at all!).
Original post by kiwiii.d
Just been on the Welcome Week website and it says that student loans don't cover hall costs yet I'm pretty sure that's what my maintenance loan is for...

Does anyone know when you have to pay the first instalment for halls, getting nervous now (probably for no reason at all!).

If you have your letter from student finance it should say on there when you pay and how much for each term - I think anyway!!
Reply 64

As far as I can remember from last year, the halls installments were generally taken out the day after student loan installments were issued. :smile:
Reply 65
If you have your letter from student finance it should say on there when you pay and how much for each term - I think anyway!!

Yeah I know what and when I'm getting my money, the wording Bangor website confused me a bit I guess.

Original post by Aarun
As far as I can remember from last year, the halls installments were generally taken out the day after student loan installments were issued. :smile:

Sweet, was starting to think they'd want payment before our loans went in! Fresher's week looks packed. :smile:
Yeah I know what and when I'm getting my money, the wording Bangor website confused me a bit I guess.

Sweet, was starting to think they'd want payment before our loans went in! Fresher's week looks packed. :smile:

I know what you mean, it confused me too! I didn't even realise you have to register your bank account with them until I looked on the welcome week page!
Reply 67
I know what you mean, it confused me too! I didn't even realise you have to register your bank account with them until I looked on the welcome week page!

Just worried I'll forget to do something haha!
Reply 68
Thanks :smile: I went for reichel so hopefully I'm alright!

Just out of interest, what is it you plan on putting under your bed? :smile:
Original post by BM3001
Just out of interest, what is it you plan on putting under your bed? :smile:

Haha I was just wondering if it would fit my suitcase underneath it! :smile:
Reply 70
Haha I was just wondering if it would fit my suitcase underneath it! :smile:

Ah fair enough, I put my suitcase on top of my wardrobe instead which worked a treat this year :smile:
:bump:
Is there a McDonalds on site, or any fast food with caloric dense food?

How is the weight room in the gym, does the dumbbells go past 30kg?

How much are the gym membership?

Is there any point in brining your own vehicle?

How does uni written exams compare with a levels?
Original post by Miscer-22

The McDonalds is fairly far out of the town but there are more than plenty fast food joints in Upper and Lower Bangor. There's a KFC in the town centre, a Dominos, loads of Chinese/Kebab places

Not a clue, I've never used a Gym besides a Pokemon Gym in my life.

I think it's £90 per year

Not really, the town's fairly small, you have to pay for a parking permit and the one-way system is a bloody nightmare.

I didn't find them that much harder

Original post by Jakeul200493

The McDonalds is fairly far out of the town but there are more than plenty fast food joints in Upper and Lower Bangor. There's a KFC in the town centre, a Dominos, loads of Chinese/Kebab places

Not a clue, I've never used a Gym besides a Pokemon Gym in my life.

I think it's £90 per year

Not really, the town's fairly small, you have to pay for a parking permit and the one-way system is a bloody nightmare.

I didn't find them that much harder

Thanks for your replies brah.

- Do students bring their own TV's?

- Could you connect your PS4/3 to the internet in your room.

- What is the best method to use when it comes to recording classes.

-Library opening times?

-Library opening times?

You can bring your own TV, but you need to pay a license fee if you wanna watch live TV on it (I didn't, just used it for gaming).

You can connect your consoles to the internet, it's a bit of a faff and takes about 5 mins but you can do it :smile: The newer halls have ethernet ports (I think) which don't require as much effort. There's also the Bangor Uni Gaming League which you might be interested in (also PS4, good choice)

I'm not sure on recording classes, as I don't do it myself- and it usually requires prior permission from the lecturer. Most would use a dictaphone, I imagine.

The libraries and IT facilities within them are open 24 hours (I think). At least Main Arts and Deiniol Libraries are, and all the IT rooms. Not too sure on Normal Site Library.

You need a car to get to McDonalds. KFC is on the highstreet. Take aways are plentiful. Uni students have a BOGOF code for Dominos delivery. In short, you'll have no problem getting calorific food.

There are weights in the gym. I've never used them but there seems to be quite a selection. You could always contact the gym via email and they'll clarify. There gym has been redone recently so well worth it.

£90 for gym only for 9 months. Its around £130 for with classes.

I had a car and found it useful to getting to shops like Tesco and ASDA (cheaper ones) which the former is a little way out of town (my McDonalds), and it means you don't have to walk Bitch Hill if you shop in Lower Bangor (anything but Morrisons really).

I found uni exams in first year similar to A-Level, if not easier. For my course there was a lot of choice (two exams I had to pick 2 questions from FIFTEEN, yes 1-5.) I think I found it easier because with my degree joint hons humanties/soc sci, you choose what you focus on and learn and the exam questions rarely change significantly year-on-year.

-Library opening times?

Some do. You need an individual TV licence PER ROOM. Its honestly easier and cheaper to just watch online with iPlayer an hour later.

Yes I believe so with the halls with wifi. I haven't done this but people will know how to do it. Alternatively you can email IT Services - they have been contacted before about connecting it to wifi so don't worry.

Dictaphone. But ask first.

24/7 (main arts). Limited during holiday periods.
Reply 78
How many people are the per kitchen roughly? :smile:
Hi, I have two questions:

To get from the Ffriddoedd site to the Main Arts Building, do you have to climb Bitch Hill? And how would you go about avoiding it?

Will there be people checking whether or not your appliances have a Portable Appliance Test Certificate? My laptop is over a year old and I'm worried that if I won't be able to use it if it's not tested.

Quick Reply

Latest