The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Ask a current student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AJacks
How many people are the per kitchen roughly? :smile:

8 in newer halls of Ffridd, I'm sure it's the same for older halls. Not sure for Reichel and Normal site. The accommodation website will say for the latter two.
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Original post by deadpoets
Hi, I have two questions:

To get from the Ffriddoedd site to the Main Arts Building, do you have to climb Bitch Hill? And how would you go about avoiding it?

Will there be people checking whether or not your appliances have a Portable Appliance Test Certificate? My laptop is over a year old and I'm worried that if I won't be able to use it if it's not tested.

No you don't have to tackle Bitch Hill to get to Main Arts, only the science subjects really. To avoid BH you can walk all the way around by the train station to get into town/back up into upper Bangor but it's still a bit of a hill, nothing compared to BH - it is way longer though. Its easy to walk down hill though.

No one checked my appliances. Some things in the kitchen short circuited the entire corridor and all the power and lights went but those were things provided by the uni, this happened in quite a few flats last year. I think they say it as a precautionary measure.
I keep hearing about this Bitch Hill. I can't help but wonder, is that the actual name of the hill?
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
I keep hearing about this Bitch Hill. I can't help but wonder, is that the actual name of the hill?

The actual name is Glanrafon Hill, but literally everybody in the town calls it Bitch Hill xD
Hey, thanks for all the information you have given on this thread, it has been really useful!

I just have a question myself about televisions.

I want to bring my own. I know that if I want to watch live tv I need a license, but am I likely to get any fuss if I bring a tv anyway but don't use it for live tv, just as a second monitor for my computer? Or is it best to just not bring a television at all unless I get a license. Thanks :smile:
Hey, is there much of a surfing/skateboarding community in Bangor?

What is the local music scene like? E.g open mic nights and get togethers for musicians?

Do the local pubs have coverage of the football on Sky Sports?

How do the locals react to the students?

EDIT: Also, since I last visited Bangor they were building that new center thing or whatever they're called... Is it now finished and whats new there?

Cheers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SamPJackson
Hey, thanks for all the information you have given on this thread, it has been really useful!

I just have a question myself about televisions.

I want to bring my own. I know that if I want to watch live tv I need a license, but am I likely to get any fuss if I bring a tv anyway but don't use it for live tv, just as a second monitor for my computer? Or is it best to just not bring a television at all unless I get a license. Thanks :smile:

I brought my TV, orginally with the intention of getting a licence but I only used it for a DVD player, this was the case for many students. You won't get any fuss/trouble for taking a TV. While there wasn't anyone checking if we had a licence (you'll need to bring your own aerial for live TV), at DIFFERENT universities there has been somebody checking (I think it was Nott. Trent) so just don't take an aerial and have it plugged into the computer. Just remember it's extra for you to carry to your room and less desk space - that's the only negative.

Original post by Welsh Locs
Hey, is there much of a surfing/skateboarding community in Bangor?

What is the local music scene like? E.g open mic nights and get togethers for musicians?

Do the local pubs have coverage of the football on Sky Sports?

How do the locals react to the students?

EDIT: Also, since I last visited Bangor they were building that new center thing or whatever they're called... Is it now finished and whats new there?

Cheers.

Surfing, yes, quite big. A lot of socials and trips out. One of my roommates was always going on about the surf team!

Belle Vue let people show case their talents. You'll see this pub on your first day. Societies will be tailored to this too, have a look at Serindepity.

Can't say I'm into sports but there's 52+ pubs in Bangor so somewhere is bound to be showing what you want. Bar Uno always shows the top choices though.

I have never had a bad experience with a local!

When I left in May, Pontio was not finished. It is well under way though and there's always more construction going on at the site. If you google the Pontio project it will tell you all you need to know and give you the latest updates. I'd google it myself but I'm on my mobile and it isn't easy to multitask....

Hope this helps!!!
THANKS! Making me even more excited :biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by EloiseStar
8 in newer halls of Ffridd, I'm sure it's the same for older halls. Not sure for Reichel and Normal site. The accommodation website will say for the latter two.

Thanks I'm in LLanddwyn and I never got to visit the halls how are they set out is there separate flats or rooms? Also is there common rooms in many buildings? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by AJacks
Thanks I'm in LLanddwyn and I never got to visit the halls how are they set out is there separate flats or rooms? Also is there common rooms in many buildings? Thanks! :smile:

Each building has a relatively similar layout. However I was in one of the smallest buildings and Llanddwyn is the biggest.

From my experience in the newer buildings (the older ones aren't that different, nor are different buildings).

8 flats per corridor, ensuite, and you all share a kitchen. You have 1/1 and a half cupboards each. In my hall we had a flat opposite, I think most do!

There's two common rooms, one in Braint and I'm not sure about where the other one is. You'll soon find out! There's always somebody in there. The codes to get in will be emailed within the first week of your arrival.
Reply 90
Each building has a relatively similar layout. However I was in one of the smallest buildings and Llanddwyn is the biggest.

From my experience in the newer buildings (the older ones aren't that different, nor are different buildings).

8 flats per corridor, ensuite, and you all share a kitchen. You have 1/1 and a half cupboards each. In my hall we had a flat opposite, I think most do!

There's two common rooms, one in Braint and I'm not sure about where the other one is. You'll soon find out! There's always somebody in there. The codes to get in will be emailed within the first week of your arrival.

Thanks I'm a little more at ease now!
I'm getting things together for uni now, and I'm just wondering if a desk lamp and a waste basket are provided for us already? Also, I know some universities allow people to bring a kettle into their bedrooms, does Bangor?
Original post by deadpoets
I'm getting things together for uni now, and I'm just wondering if a desk lamp and a waste basket are provided for us already? Also, I know some universities allow people to bring a kettle into their bedrooms, does Bangor?

Desk lamp and a waste basket plus a recycling bin are provided.

Bangor would probably not allow a kettle in the room, I say probably because I am not sure but I am certain it would not be allowed. It would probably set off the fire alarm, plus, one is provided in the kitchen.
Reply 93
This thread has been very helpful! I just have a few questions...

1). What sort of transportation is available for students? Does the train have a reasonable fare?
2). I will be living in Bryn Eithin, which I have discovered is on top of Bitch Hill. Do you know anything else about Bryn Eithin that would be worth knowing?
3). I will be an international student from the United States; are Yanks common on campus?

Thank you very much!
Desk lamp and a waste basket plus a recycling bin are provided.

Bangor would probably not allow a kettle in the room, I say probably because I am not sure but I am certain it would not be allowed. It would probably set off the fire alarm, plus, one is provided in the kitchen.

Thanks for your replies! You've been very helpful! :biggrin:
Original post by Bsitk430
This thread has been very helpful! I just have a few questions...

1). What sort of transportation is available for students? Does the train have a reasonable fare?
2). I will be living in Bryn Eithin, which I have discovered is on top of Bitch Hill. Do you know anything else about Bryn Eithin that would be worth knowing?
3). I will be an international student from the United States; are Yanks common on campus?

Thank you very much!

1) Bangor is relatively compact so you can get to most places by foot. There are bus services and there's a train station. Train tickets are reasonable, depends where you are going and when. Try booking in advance if it's a busy period such as Christmas. Students can get a rail card and you get 1/3 off train tickets. I highly recommend you get one.
2) I'm sorry, I know nothing about that hall!
3) Yes, I've met a few Americans! Quite a few were on a semester exchange but some were there for 3 years. If you're into American football there's a team at Bangor.

Any more questions, let me know!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 96
Hi!

Does anyone know what the online registration process entails? Just want to know that I have everything I need before starting it :smile:
Original post by kiwiii.d
Hi!

Does anyone know what the online registration process entails? Just want to know that I have everything I need before starting it :smile:

The on-line registrations just asks for personal details; address, phone number, course info etc.
Reply 98
Original post by DanielJLonsdale
The on-line registrations just asks for personal details; address, phone number, course info etc.

Okay cheers; is your 'Bangor University reference number' your Student ID?
is there a skateboarding shop in Bangor?

Quick Reply

Latest