The Student Room Group

Hearing Back for PhD Funding

Hi everyone,

I've applied for almost a dozen different studentships at different universities, most of which the deadlines were in February. It's been over 6 weeks for some of them, and I haven't heard back. I'm starting to get worried that I've been unsuccessful and I'm never going to hear back from them. Would it be extremely bad form to get in touch with the unis to see how far along the process they are? It's driving me absolutely crazy, especially as I heard back from one studentship about 2 weeks after the deadline. This was a rejection, so I'm getting quite anxious about the whole thing.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GBerritta
Hi everyone,

I've applied for almost a dozen different studentships at different universities, most of which the deadlines were in February. It's been over 6 weeks for some of them, and I haven't heard back. I'm starting to get worried that I've been unsuccessful and I'm never going to hear back from them. Would it be extremely bad form to get in touch with the unis to see how far along the process they are? It's driving me absolutely crazy, especially as I heard back from one studentship about 2 weeks after the deadline. This was a rejection, so I'm getting quite anxious about the whole thing.

Thanks!

They don't get in touch if you are unsuccessful in securing an interview usually.

If the deadlines were February they will most likely have been decided in March (I applied for 5 then and one still haven't got back to me even though I know they have all been decided).

Just call them up, they will probably tell you 'sorry it was really competitive' and not give you much feedback beyond that, but it worth it for peace of mind! It may be you are on a reserves list for if people drop out.
Reply 2
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I am no expert but it can be a biy of a waiting game. I do know that son made 5 applications ( but earlier than you) ad he waited quite a long time before he heard anything.He was then offered interviews with four of the five and had to offers. What is your subject and where have you applied?
Reply 3
Thanks for your help, guys. I've emailed the admin people at some of the unis, so I guess I just have to wait to hear back now. Scary!
I've applied for variations on Film and TV Studies at Birkbeck, Keele, York, Exeter and Northumbria. I got rejected from Exeter very quickly though, so having to wait from the others is extremely frustrating.
Reply 4
Thanks for your help, guys. I've emailed the admin people at some of the unis, so I guess I just have to wait to hear back now. Scary!
I've applied for variations on Film and TV Studies at Birkbeck, Keele, York, Exeter and Northumbria. I got rejected from Exeter very quickly though, so having to wait from the others is extremely frustrating.

York NEVER get back to you. They are the worst. Haven't had any dealings with the admins at the others though.
Reply 5
Oh, really? I didn't know York had a reputation!
Reply 6
Oh, really? I didn't know York had a reputation!

they still haven't let me know I didn't get the PhD I applied for in December even though I have spoken to the supervisor directly about why I didn't get it.
Reply 7
The people who let you know if you inquire will not have any influence on the decision so I think you're okay contacting them - it will likely never even get back to the 'deciders' that you asked!!

(source - works in PhD admin for a redbrick!)
Reply 8
Wow, that's really disorganised! Terrible admin skills on York's behalf!

I heard back from one of them, who said that I should hear in the next couple of weeks. If I'd been rejected, wouldn't they have just told me by now? It's so cruel!
Reply 9

I heard back from one of them, who said that I should hear in the next couple of weeks. If I'd been rejected, wouldn't they have just told me by now? It's so cruel!

They usually have waiting lists they shove everyone on so that they can defer the decision as late as possible in case someone drops out.
Reply 10
Original post by redferry
They usually have waiting lists they shove everyone on so that they can defer the decision as late as possible in case someone drops out.

Hmm. That wasn't the reassuring answer I was hoping for!
Reply 11
Hmm. That wasn't the reassuring answer I was hoping for!

Sorry!!! :frown:

I've just been through this process and for me no news was always bad news. Except once when they got back to me at half 8 in the evening on a Sunday when they said I'd hear by Friday :s
Reply 12
Sorry!!! :frown:

I've just been through this process and for me no news was always bad news. Except once when they got back to me at half 8 in the evening on a Sunday when they said I'd hear by Friday :s

And am I right in thinking you just secured funding down in London?
There's hope!
Reply 13
And am I right in thinking you just secured funding down in London?
There's hope!

Yeah. Wouldn't be my city of choice but there are pros and cons :smile: It's a good DTP and that's what matters even if it is 4 years of poverty :smile: (or at least that's what I keep telling myself :P)
Reply 14
Well, exactly. I'd mainly like to go to a uni which offers a GTA scheme and/or a decent DTP. But beggars can't be choosers, and I'll take anything I can get! It frustrates me that I've been offered a place of study at all the unis I've applied to, but that I'm unable to fund it. *grumble*

I know some people here have said that you should assume you didn't get the funding but I am wondering if that's necessarily the case...if you applied in February, surely there hasn't been THAT much time...I had to wait January (deadline) till May (result) for one of the scholarships I won, January till July for another (although I suspect I was shortlisted for that one and something became available later) and for some external funding sources (foundations etc) I have had various waiting times, the longest being January till August. Most of the unis I applied to for my PhD had early January deadlines and announced funding end of March or similar. So I don't think 6 weeks is so much to wait.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 16
Well, exactly. I'd mainly like to go to a uni which offers a GTA scheme and/or a decent DTP. But beggars can't be choosers, and I'll take anything I can get! It frustrates me that I've been offered a place of study at all the unis I've applied to, but that I'm unable to fund it. *grumble*

Similar to what happened to me then. I got the London one almost out of the blue pretty much when Id given up. What area of study is it?
Reply 17
Film and TV - specifically gender and cultural aspects within contemporary Scandinavian shows and their remakes.
Reply 18
Film and TV - specifically gender and cultural aspects within contemporary Scandinavian shows and their remakes.

That seems very specific! Good luck!!! And don't give up if it doesn't go your way this time around :smile:
Reply 19
That seems very specific! Good luck!!! And don't give up if it doesn't go your way this time around :smile:

Thanks very much! Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending