The Student Room Group

Gowns and mortarboards ‘could be compulsory’ under Gove

At the moment then Michael Gove isn't in charge of universities (it's a different department) but he wants it to become part of the Department of Education. Certainly makes some sense! But umm these suggestions for if he got control....

“You still see gowns worn in our Oxbridge colleges, which do well academically, so why shouldn’t other universities follow that trend,”

I'm at Oxford and wearing a gown is fun, but I don't think it drives up standards Mr Gove..

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/gowns-and-mortarboards-could-be-compulsory-under-gove/2012382.article
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I love the author's name: Avril Olof :smile:
Reply 2
I don't think it't the gowns that make Oxbridge colleges do well academically...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alow
I don't think it't the gowns that make Oxbridge colleges do well acdemically...

It can't hurt to try though?
Reply 4
Original post by fluteflute
It can't hurt to try though?

Seems like he'll try anything...
Reply 5
Original post by Smushy
I love the author's name: Avril Olof :smile:

:wink:
Reply 6
Although this is clearly a joke, I do think that lecturers should be compelled to wear academic dress for all academic activities (except labs where it would be impractical, but they should still wear suits there.)
(edited 10 years ago)
This is ridiculous. I don't understand this absurd obsession about appearance in education. There seems to be this bizarre delusion that what you wear affects how you perform, which is just nonsense. I don't care what some people regard as smart, they have no right to impose that on others. I just do not understand the point of wearing academic dress. It just sounds like an additional stress at a time that's already terrifying.

EDIT: How did I not realise this is a joke... I'm such a gullible idiot. It wouldn't surprise me if Gove actually thought this though.
(edited 10 years ago)
lolololol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending