The Student Room Group

Exeter vs. Bristol for English

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle with me :redface:

I have an offer from York to study English Lit Q300 which I'm pretty sure I'm going to firm. The only problem is I can't decide between Exeter and Bristol as my insurance uni.

The main reason I'm going to put York as firm is because I love the flexibility have have with the course as far as options in film and 'non traditional' stuff like that, the foreign language options, the creative writing strengths in the department, and the assessment based heavily on coursework and less so on exams (also York seems to be a lovely place to live!)

Really, I want something similar for my insurance university. I much prefer the course at Exeter because of the range of options they have like at York, and they're also really supportive of study abroad which I am quite interested in. Whereas when I went to the Bristol open day one of the lecturers said point-blank they don't offer any modules on foreign literature because they're not a comparative literature department. BUT I love the city of Bristol so much more than Exeter, I got a better feeling from the university itself than at Exeter.

Overall, between Exeter and Bristol, I prefer Exeter for the course but Bristol for the 'student experience', and I can't decide which to put for my insurance uni. Oh and I have the same offer from both of them, so that doesn't help to narrow it down.

Any thoughts on Exeter vs. Bristol for student life/English course? I'm not really worried about if one is more prestigious than the other, they're both about the same from what I can tell.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by fevvers72
Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle with me :redface:

I have an offer from York to study English Lit Q300 which I'm pretty sure I'm going to firm. The only problem is I can't decide between Exeter and Bristol as my insurance uni.

The main reason I'm going to put York as firm is because I love the flexibility have have with the course as far as options in film and 'non traditional' stuff like that, the foreign language options, the creative writing strengths in the department, and the assessment based heavily on coursework and less so on exams (also York seems to be a lovely place to live!)

Really, I want something similar for my insurance university. I much prefer the course at Exeter because of the range of options they have like at York, and they're also really supportive of study abroad which I am quite interested in. Whereas when I went to the Bristol open day one of the lecturers said point-blank they don't offer any modules on foreign literature because they're not a comparative literature department. BUT I love the city of Bristol so much more than Exeter, I got a better feeling from the university itself than at Exeter.

Overall, between Exeter and Bristol, I prefer Exeter for the course but Bristol for the 'student experience', and I can't decide which to put for my insurance uni. Oh and I have the same offer from both of them, so that doesn't help to narrow it down.

Any thoughts on Exeter vs. Bristol for student life/English course? I'm not really worried about if one is more prestigious than the other, they're both about the same from what I can tell.

Thanks! :smile:

Exeter is much more like York as a city - how much did you explore? Always go for the course you prefer ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending