The Student Room Group

I need help on maths

How do I Get better at maths?
Reply 1
Practice.
Understand why things work instead of just memorizing stuff from a textbook.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When it comes to the exam revise to past the exam not know the whole subject :smile:.
Reply 4
Original post by Horny Cabbage
When it comes to the exam revise to past the exam not know the whole subject :smile:.

That won't really help you get better at maths though...

That sounds like complete nonsense.

Are you saying that instead of actually learning things you should just memorize what you need to know to pass the exam instead of stretching yourself with new and unfamiliar concepts? If everyone had that kind of attitude, they may get good grades, but a terrible understanding of the subject as they would only know how to apply it in these situations.

I believe that there was a documentary about this which showed how some children who were taught this mentality of 'learn just to pass the exam' gained excellent results in their tests, but had absolutely no understanding when it came to unfamiliar situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alow
That won't really help you get better at maths though...

True, but it makes you look better at maths haha. But hmm I guess practicing examples and techniques of solving problems, lots of problems use the same techniques :smile:
Original post by majmuh24
That sounds like complete nonsense.

Are you saying that instead of actually learning things you should just memorize what you need to know to pass the exam instead of stretching yourself with new and unfamiliar concepts? If everyone had that kind of attitude, they may get good grades, but a terrible understanding of the subject as they would only know how to apply it in these situations.

I believe that there was a documentary about this which showed how some children who were taught this mentality of 'learn just to pass the exam' gained excellent results in their tests, but had absolutely no understanding when it came to unfamiliar situations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately you can do this with the exams nowadays
Reply 8
True, but it makes you look better at maths haha. But hmm I guess practicing examples and techniques of solving problems, lots of problems use the same techniques :smile:

'Looking better at maths' is useless. It defeats the point of learning maths.
Unfortunately you can do this with the exams nowadays

You can, but that is not a reason to suggest it to anyone except if they are looking for a quick exam grade without much effort. For anyone that wants to improve their skill at maths, this is definitely not the way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
practice each topic and do a lot of past papers:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by alow
Practice.

Exactly

Quick Reply

Latest