The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Accomodation 14/15

Hello,

I am going to be moving into halls in September and I really can't choose what's going to be best:frown:
I thought of going for standard for saving money and they are closest to the building I will be in, but people are making me doubt it. Can anyone tell me where they have lived previously or people who will also be moving into halls in September let me know what your choosing?

Thankyou,
Lauren:-)!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just so you know, you are NEVER only in one building. My school is Sport, Tourism and The Outoors in Greenbank. In semester one i was in there once, i am now not even in there!.

I'm living in iQ, it's the best halls. Lawson are nice too but the security are too strict e.g. no visitors/parties.

iQ is very laid back. iQ are the most popular and fill up pretty much straight away, so because its the biggest halls you make loads of friends.

Roeburn are okay too.

Apart from that i've only been in Whitendale, didn't really like them.
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello, thankyou for that:-)! Can i just ask why you didnt like whitendale? Just everyone keeps telling me about the en-suite ones,but nothing about standard;are they that bad?
Reply 3
Original post by Lauren_96
Hello, thankyou for that:-)! Can i just ask why you didnt like whitendale? Just everyone keeps telling me about the en-suite ones,but nothing about standard;are they that bad?

No. Unless you're a materialistic person that feels the need to live in high-end accommodation for god knows what reason then the standard accommodation is perfectly fine. It has everything you could possibly need. I'm not sure what you think, it's not a run-down crack den if that's what you're thinking. Ensuite is also a waste of money and is completely and utterly exaggerated when it comes to people worrying about people sharing bathrooms. Plus you get the added benefit of saving like £20+ per week more than those in ensuite. Maybe that's just me though, as long as I have the basis necessities such as a bed, desk and wardrobe then I couldn't care less. It's not like you get much more anyway, ensuite seems to be the dealbreaker, you get the added benefit of a lounge room but since most people will probably be in their rooms anyway it seems kind of redundant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm planning on living in iQ come September, gonna have a look around though at the applicant day :smile:
Reply 5
Theres nothing exactly wrong with Whitendale, i think its the second biggest halls behind iQ?
But it's just older, and in my first year i wasn't comfortable sharing a bathroom with people i dont know. Now i look back on it, i'm not sure why.

It is true though, Whitendale is £1,000 cheaper than iQ a year so you save loads. I wish i had that £1,000 now!
But i've loved living in iQ and most people want to be in here.

But like said above, if youre happy with a bed and desk then go standard. En suite i just think is a lot more comfortable.
Depends on preferences i guess.
Reply 6
I lived in Roeburn Halls for this year (2013/2014). I love it here. The rooms are great, bathroom is nice (ensuite). The bathroom sink is a little small, but I deal with it. The kitchen is a good size, plenty of space for storage. The couches they give you are slightly uncomfortable but again it's easy to cope with. The layout of the halls is great too. It's very close to Foster Building, and most of the other buildings too. It's slightly further from town than Lawson, but it's still fine. Here's some photos of my room. :smile:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2vshgu1.png
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Thankyou all for all of your help and advice. I think i may go for standard and i should be okay, hopefully...just excited that i can apply for my accomodation on Monday!:-D
Reply 8
Anyone got any insight on how Pendle Hall is?
Hello all,

The UCLan accommodation system is now live, it is however receiving very high demand. If you cannot load the page at first then please try again later.

Thanks
:smile:
Reply 10
I'm actually very nervous about choosing the "right one".. On the one hand, I want to save money on this.. on the other hand *sigh*.. My school life wasn't really funny and good-experienced with having a lot of friends, so I'm afraid I wouldn't find someone I could speak to etc. in, for example, Eden hall, which contains only 6 flats (but costs £79 per week) T,T
Reply 11
Original post by eliza_k
I'm actually very nervous about choosing the "right one".. On the one hand, I want to save money on this.. on the other hand *sigh*.. My school life wasn't really funny and good-experienced with having a lot of friends, so I'm afraid I wouldn't find someone I could speak to etc. in, for example, Eden hall, which contains only 6 flats (but costs £79 per week) T,T

I don't think you're magically going to make more friends in one accommodation than the other, that sounds ridiculous but who knows, I guess you would have to experience them all in order to find out. Besides it's luck of the draw whom you get put with anyway as **** as that sounds. If you want to save money then if you go for standard you're saving £20 per week, you're probably going to end up saving near to £1000 for the year, not sure what the exact figure is, more money for going out anyway or whatever you want to spend that on. Got to think how much student finance you're getting too, can you afford the most expensive accommodation? etc etc. The more expensive accommodation is obviously nicer, that's all it has going for it in my opinion if you like that sort of thing. I'd rather spend money on nice clothes than nice accommodation though. According to the website places like IQ also have 6 people too so.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Ruffiio
I don't think you're magically going to make more friends in one accommodation than the other, that sounds ridiculous but who knows, I guess you would have to experience them all in order to find out. Besides it's luck of the draw whom you get put with anyway as **** as that sounds. If you want to save money then if you go for standard you're saving £20 per week, you're probably going to end up saving near to £1000 for the year, not sure what the exact figure is, more money for going out anyway or whatever you want to spend that on. Got to think how much student finance you're getting too, can you afford the most expensive accommodation? etc etc. The more expensive accommodation is obviously nicer, that's all it has going for it in my opinion if you like that sort of thing. I'd rather spend money on nice clothes than nice accommodation though. According to the website places like IQ also have 6 people too so.

No she meant it only has 6 FLATS.

iQ has 6 people per flat, but i think we have 113 flats here. Either way, she does make a valid point. You're more than likely to make more friends in bigger halls, but mainly just people in your flat. More often than not just your flat and next door.

You'll make friends on your course too don't forget.

Some people worry about accommodation too much, just choose which you like. End of.
Reply 13
Original post by Lauren_96
Hello,

I am going to be moving into halls in September and I really can't choose what's going to be best:frown:
I thought of going for standard for saving money and they are closest to the building I will be in, but people are making me doubt it. Can anyone tell me where they have lived previously or people who will also be moving into halls in September let me know what your choosing?

Thankyou,
Lauren:-)!

Hi,

The best halls that i have looked at and booked for September is LIberty court it is close to the university and the rooms look better then the other hall sthat i have looked at
Reply 14
I am living in Liberty Court now and have re-booked for this september if you haven;t found any where yet i would recommend living here you will love it
Reply 15
Original post by sammylow
I am living in Liberty Court now and have re-booked for this september if you haven;t found any where yet i would recommend living here you will love it

I going to be in Liberty Court in September too have you been allocated your flat yet i haven't think i need to send the rest of my forms in before i get it?
Reply 16
There seems to be 'strict security' in place at some of the accommodation such as Whitendale... are you still able to drink alcohol in this accommodation and come in late if you have been to a party elsewhere?

Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by LauraK94
I'm planning on living in iQ come September, gonna have a look around though at the applicant day :smile:

when is the applicant day again i have lost information for that
Reply 18
How are Leighton Hall, Liberty Court and Liberty Village? Which one would be the best choice?
Reply 19
Original post by marti1
when is the applicant day again i have lost information for that

April 23rd is the one im going to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending