The Student Room Group

St Andrews vs. Leeds

Hi everyone,

I have received offers from both St Andrews (social anthropology) and Leeds (sociology), and I can't decide which to firm. I already have my grades so both offers are unconditional.

Obviously they are both really different universities and I would love some advice from people who have been to one or have friends at one.

Thanks guys!

Georgia
Reply 1
Original post by georgiadeane
Hi everyone,

I have received offers from both St Andrews (social anthropology) and Leeds (sociology), and I can't decide which to firm. I already have my grades so both offers are unconditional.

Obviously they are both really different universities and I would love some advice from people who have been to one or have friends at one.

Thanks guys!

Georgia

I know nothing abut Leeds. But son is a postgrad at St Andrews and he just loves it there, It is a quiet little town, quite awkward to get to but therein lies its charm.Accommodation can be hard to find and tends to be expensive. He is actually in a hall but it is a very nice there and he will stasy there for full three and a hlf years if he can.
Not the place,however, if you into clubs etc! Think there might be one!
Reply 2
St Andrews is the more prestigious of the two so if the history of the university at which you are to attend is important, the choice is obvious. The main question, however, is whether or not you're a social animal. If so Leeds would be the better choice. My cousin attended Leeds and said it was one of the most vibrant and liveliest cities he ever lived in.
Original post by georgiadeane
Hi everyone,

Thanks guys!

Georgia

I guess some of your decision-making will be based on the courses themselves. Maybe there are different modules in different places? I know nothing about social anthropology though, so I can't help you there!

St Andrews is beautiful and next to the sea. I really like it here, and it obviously has a great reputation as a city. However, it is very quiet when you compare it to somewhere like Leeds, which has much better shops, bars, and clubs. It depends on how important that is to you I guess.
I've taken a module in Social Anthropology at St Andrews. The course is very interesting, tutors helpful and lecturers quirky ... I think the main decider should be what course type you'd like. With St Andrews you'd be there for a 4 years Masters vs Leeds 3 years bachelors. In St Andrews you spend your sub-honors (first two years) studying Social Anthropology and then two other modules, whereas in Leeds you would spend 3 years taking straight sociology.
In my subjective and bias opinion I would pick Social Anthropology... I found it to be more interesting than Sociology (took at A Level). Also in terms of location St Andrews is a beautiful small place, with a good community vibe, where I've met amazing people from around the world. With Leeds you'd experience the life of a student in a city, which of course has its pros and cons.

Feel free to question me if you have any questions :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks everybody for your advice! I've just been to visit St Andrews again and loved it. I've finally made a decision and confirmed my offer for social anthropology there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending