The Student Room Group

Life changing books.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TheBugle
Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl

Make sure you read that, not the one with "ultimate" in the title. That one, the follow up, is boring.

Down and out... by George Orwell is also very eye-opening whilst light-hearted.

Nice choice! Frankl's book you mention is indeed a life-changer. Perhaps the most worthwhile book ever written. A masterpiece of reflection and wisdom born from horrifying suffering.
Reply 81
Man's Search For Meaning - Viktor Frankl

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee - Dee Brown

To the Edge of the Sky - Anhua Gao
Reply 82
Crime and Punishment.

It explores suffering, free will and determinism, politics, charity, morality, ethics, philosophy, theology, law, psychology, but also has great characters and is a thrilling reading.

Can there really be a God in a world of such evil? Are people who commit crimes really responsible?

Can breaking the law ever be justified, as a means to an end? Can murder ever be justified- in the case of a vile old abusive, miserly crone who's near death anyhow and plans to leave her money to 'rot in a monastery'?

It has large parts that are practically stream-of-consciousness too, so it's quite revolutionary in terms of its style.

My favourite ever book from my favourite author (Dostoevsky). Two things Russians are good at: chess and writing novels.

The names can be a bit annoying at first (they all have about three different name variations 'cos they're Russians and that's how they roll), but persevere and you will be rewarded (if you have good taste).
Reply 83
Original post by ApeMob
The Bible's really good too.

The Bible! The most marvellous and deranged work of fiction I have ever read (some of).
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I have awesome taste in books, if i say so myself :tongue:

It's about this girl. Her and her boyfriend are bullied in school and they made this 'Hate list' containing the name of everyone who mistreated them. Then one day her boyfriend brings a gun to school and starts shooting the people on the list,he shoots himself afterwards. The book explores the effects of School Shootings and the victims

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who's the author by any chance so I can get it? :smile:
Original post by luckylaurax
Who's the author by any chance so I can get it? :smile:

Jennifer Brown :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jennifer Brown :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, it sounds so interesting, I'll order it now :smile:
50 nursery rhymes for children. So deep.
Original post by Bonafide
Hey, I'm looking for a read with an impact. Something that once I've read it, I'll feel epiphanised.
Recommendations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Casper the commuting cat by susan finden
-'The absolutely true diary of a part time indian'
-'The Alchemist'
-Stolen by Lucy Christopher
-'The Hate List'<------STRONGLY recommend

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my God thank you for mentioning Stolen. I read that book waaay back in year 7, and I completely forgot about it. Oh lord.

Thanks for helping me get the rush you get from re-reading a book you haven't in ages, and realising why you loved it in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
"The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne really changed my life :smile: It's non-fiction but seriously ... Damn

Please read it you guys. It's an amazing self-help book :smile:
Original post by MohammedPBUH
I strongly recommend the Quran.

haha p appreciate your humour man
Reply 92
'Nausea' by Jean-Paul Sartre.
The death defying Pepper Roux

God I love that book

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Let the Right One In
Battle Royale

And anything by Marquis de Sade :wink::tongue:
Reply 95
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stepehn Chbosky
The Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

The three books that will stay on my shelf forever next to my Harry Potter and Cormoran Strike series :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending