The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by neo01302
Hey Solipse :smile:

Well done on the great progress with your Open Uni English Degree, sounds like you've achieved some amazing feats already ! I've had similar mixed feelings like yourself, when comparing 'sticking to my full time job in I.T' vs. 'risking it all, selling the contents of my flat, doing a houseshare and getting my head down to studying'. Obviously, for yourself it's clearly 'distance learning and staying at home for Nottingham' vs. 'Studying within a Uni environment in Birmingham'.

Whilst our considerations might be different- I think that 'how we feel' about making the decisions is 'exactly' the same. We're both a little terrified of how it'll all work out. I'm slowly learning that there are a lot of people with more critical commitments than my own - people with much more to risk than I. So, they're brave enough to step out into the unknown to work hard and achieve greatness.

The truth is, we're not living until we step out of our comfort zone. How will we ever know unless we try? Yes, it's a risk, but I'm slowly coming around to the fact that I'm going to give it everything I have, do my best and cross any bridges that I come across on a 'as and when' basis. After all, I can't tell the future and I'm guessing the brave who have more to risk are seeing it in a similar way.

I think the 'change of heart' and switching between one option to the other is simply just that it's a little scary to contemplate the most extreme 'change' itself. I like to think that our dreams 'have to' naturally be a little scary in order for them to be 'dreams' in the first place. A lot of people have stepped into what scares them and basked amongst the glory of victory because they've persevered, and as a result have succeeded in doing something they enjoy :smile:

Hope this helps.
I'm still a little edgy about things, but I am determined to give up my full time job, go to Uni and step out into the unknown as a mature student and give it my all :smile: - You have already achieved so much, follow your gut, follow your heart !

Hi Neo,

Thanks for your kind words. It hasn't been easy but it's been worth it for me.

My main worries are financial at the moment. Plus I don't need a masters at all, it won't necessarily lead to a career afterwards so it's just for my own personal development more than anything.

I've visited Birmingham and really liked the vibe there, so if I can find a way to sort it I think I'll be fine there. I am worried about the accommodation side of it - halls vs houseshare etc as I like my own space but I'm researching my options at the moment.

Thanks again and good luck with your own endeavours :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Hi saw this thread and had to reply! I'm 30 and have been in my current full time job for nearly 7 years but have been in full time jobs since i was 18, but for a while now i've felt that i need more. I can't progress in my current job and its not what i want to do so i decided to take the plunge and apply to Uni.

I got an unconditional offer from Durham Uni :smile: i'm starting at the foundation year as its been a long time since i was at school and i think i'll benefit from it. Your never too old to learn new things and change your life and even though i'm terrified of leaving my job, home, family and friends i feel its the right thing to do.

I wish everyone luck who is applying/going to Uni this year :smile: x
Late to the party but I am 31 and have recently quit my job as an investment consultant to return to education to study nutrition and dietetics.

I have been in the corporate sector for c. 10 years. It took a lot for me to finally admit that I hated my job and actually do something about it.

I don't have a science background so am basically starting again. Will be taking a science access course in September and hope to apply for uni this autumn.

Its been so weird going for assessments and interviews for college. Lol.

Roll on September. I can't wait.
Sometimes you just have to take stock and make a positive change for yourself. I'm quitting my job after 4 years, I hate it and I'm now looking forward to hopefully kick starting my life in a way.

There are too many people in the world who get by because they think they have no other choice. I wasn't going to be one of those anymore.
Reply 24
Thank you for posting this. I am trawling the internet for such affirmation. I did an undergrad degree while working full time, and finished it, aged 47. Now at almost 50, I have decided to throw work in and do a Masters. My job is a ball of stress and anguish and I need to do something else. I have paid off my mortgage, and have some savings. Your post just confirmed to me that this is the right thing to do for me at this time. Cheers.
This really helps I'm doing a night class at the moment and then seriously thinking about quitting work as I hate it. Sick of all the stress and lining someone else's pocket.
So I'm going to start looking into what student help I can get and then start again. I've a mortgage though so know I'll have to have a couple of part time jobs i an do too to be able to afford to live . Not really any idea where to start though would be the college that advise you?
Thanks
Sharon
Original post by Sharonbushby
This really helps I'm doing a night class at the moment and then seriously thinking about quitting work as I hate it. Sick of all the stress and lining someone else's pocket.
So I'm going to start looking into what student help I can get and then start again. I've a mortgage though so know I'll have to have a couple of part time jobs i an do too to be able to afford to live . Not really any idea where to start though would be the college that advise you?
Thanks
Sharon

Hey - this is quite an old thread, if you have a question about returning to study then post a new thread in the Mature Students forum. :smile:

Closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending