The Student Room Group

What is biochemistry?

I am in year 12 studying maths, biology and chemistry AS. I was thinking of going down the biological field and i was thinking of the biochemistry field. I like the biochrmemidtry part of my AS textbook the most intereting and would like to know what kind of work experience i should do during summer holidays, what modules are learnt and how do some people who are doing a biochemistry degree are finding it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What unis should I apply to
Biochemistry as a field is the application of chemical techniques to biological problems. Biochemistry as a concept is the collection of chemical reactions and reactants that make up life.
The modules you do are based on the university. Some may be more chemistry-based, some may not do chemistry on its own at all. Look at university websites, see what modules they offer and see if they appeal to you. Example: York's modules
Reply 6
Hey, I currently study biochemistry in UOM. Is a combination of standard biology modules such as genetics, anatomy , cell biology , usually you have a given choice of many optional modules until year 3. In the course I do we have a specific biochemistry modules in which you use applied chemistry such as redox reactions and ,elimination, substitution reactions you learn from A2 but it goes into a lot more in depth. These chemistry skills are then applied to biomolecules such as flavins and amino acids. So for example you learn how alcohol dehydrogenase is involved with the TCA (citric acid cycle) , you'll also be learning many biological pathways.

example of a biochem slide

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending