The Student Room Group

Glasgow University or Edinburgh for Computer Sciences?

I have been offered a place in both Glasgow and Edinburgh's Computer Science Courses from the beginning of next year. I will be staying at home and traveling by train.

Im 29 and live in Airdrie so i know what both cities are like. I know what Edinburgh is more prestigious and Internationally renowned but Glasgow is also rated very highly and from what i have read their Computer Science Degree is rated slightly higher than Edinburgh's.

I genuinely cant make my mind up and im torn.

Any advice or input would be appreciated.

Glasgow is my home city so i would feel more at home there but Edinburgh is more prestigious and Internationally renowned
Gonna move to the CS forum :smile:
I know what Edinburgh is more prestigious and Internationally renowned but Glasgow is also rated very highly and from what i have read their Computer Science Degree is rated slightly higher than Edinburgh's.

Not sure where you read that but i'd say thats false. By all measures Informatics at Edinburgh wins. Let's look at quantitative data from a national survey of all computing research in the UK: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-2008-computer-science-and-informatics

Edinburgh has over three times the amount of staff carrying out research in Computer Science. It wins not only in quantity but also in quality as a higher proportion of researcher are ranked as carrying out world leading research. These results come from an independent study carried out over many years, and have been used to allocation f

Edinburgh is in fact that largest Informatics (CS+AI) research grouping in Europe (http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/informatics/about/research-excellence). Glasgow is a good university but just can't compete in many areas of CS - especially AI.

If you do choose Edinburgh, do be warned as the course can get quite hard. Unfortunately, most of the students who do drop out from Informatics tend to be Scottish - of the students I know that dropped out during my course, about 6 of 8 were Scottish. I'm not sure why this is, but it's happening enough to be notable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending