The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Go Team Maths!
Reply 121
if you can't get a gold in the SMC, is cambridge maths out of the question would you say?
Reply 122
rachxl
if you can't get a gold in the SMC, is cambridge maths out of the question would you say?

no.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Frequenting this forum is a good idea if you are serious for oxbridge maths.
Reply 123
RageC
how many hours does the average cambridge mathematician do a week?

Quite a few.
Original post by JoMo1
I'll be applying next year. I was leaning towards Oxford rather heavily and then some comments on this thread made me question it, however, basically it comes down to the fact that I can't see much difference in the courses. Cambridge has a better reputation and is probably a bit better, but it isn't by much. Oxford is still absolutely bloody amazing for maths. I even like the city of Oxford better than cambridge, and the university just has a better feel to it for me. And really, i know I'm not one of the very best mathematicians in the county (YET!) and there's not a chance in hell I'd beat off the competition from anyone who even got a sniff of the IMO team so basically Trinity is out of my league. In the end the small difference isn't worth not getting in, so I'm perfectly happy to admit that I am not currently one of probably the top 100 (most likely considerably more) maths applicants in the county, but I do think I'm good enough for oxbridge, I just want to make sure of a place, and the competition is harder at cambridge. Plus I've fallen in love with Magdalen.

Hi - I'm in the exact same position as you now - and I was wondering if you can tell me how the application turned out for you and if you can give me a few tips??

Thanks (:
Reply 125
Original post by qwertyuiopg
Hi - I'm in the exact same position as you now - and I was wondering if you can tell me how the application turned out for you and if you can give me a few tips??

Thanks (:

That's a really old post you've quoted. For what it's worth, JoMo1 went to Oxford and has since graduated. As he hasn't been on the forums for almost a year, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a swift reply!
oh - fair enough! Thanks for letting me know
Original post by qwertyuiopg
(Original post by JoMo1) I'll be applying next year. I was leaning towards Oxford rather heavily and then some comments on this thread made me question it, however, basically it comes down to the fact that I can't see much difference in the courses. Cambridge has a better reputation and is probably a bit better, but it isn't by much. Oxford is still absolutely bloody amazing for maths. I even like the city of Oxford better than cambridge, and the university just has a better feel to it for me. And really, i know I'm not one of the very best mathematicians in the county (YET!) and there's not a chance in hell I'd beat off the competition from anyone who even got a sniff of the IMO team so basically Trinity is out of my league. In the end the small difference isn't worth not getting in, so I'm perfectly happy to admit that I am not currently one of probably the top 100 (most likely considerably more) maths applicants in the county, but I do think I'm good enough for oxbridge, I just want to make sure of a place, and the competition is harder at cambridge. Plus I've fallen in love with Magdalen.

Hi - I'm in the exact same position as you now - and I was wondering if you can tell me how the application turned out for you and if you can give me a few tips?? Thanks :smile:

Hi - I'm in the exact same position as you now - and I was wondering if you can tell me how the application turned out for you and if you can give me a few tips?? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Piddle123

I know this thread is old AF but I can give some tips form my experience with friends

1 - Oxford is being kinda weird. I believe they have very heavy state school bias recently (I was rejected with 10A*'S, nobody at my school got an Oxford offer (while 12 got Cambridge) and my top100 under 18 maths friend was rejected)). I don't think it's just anecdotal evidence that it's getting harder to be accepted by Oxford, but I may be wrong/
2 - Examination/Testing is very different. Oxford have the MAT. It's weird, C1/C2 on steroids, but is designed to encourage thinking and be accessible to state school children who have covered the bare minimum at school. Their interviews are longer and slightly more intense than Cambridge. I believe Cambridge give more offers, but they require STEP in the offer, and it's super hard to get a good grade in STEP so many with an offer get rejected.
I loathe the fact that one cannot apply to both - that would have been so much better. Why is it like this?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by venom19
I loathe the fact that one cannot apply to both - that would have been so much better. Why is it like this?

This thread is 15 years old. Please don't bump old threads.

Latest

Trending

Trending