The Student Room Group

Farage vs Clegg the 2nd debate tonight 7pm BBC 2, BBC News, Sky News

Poll

Who won the EU debate

So following on from last weeks thread here is a thread to discuss the 2nd EU debate between Farage and Clegg. It is on at 7pm tonight (Weds) on BBC 2, BBC News and Sky news and will be repeated tomorrow at 9pm on BBC Parliament

Farage was generally agreed to have won the 1st debate can he win the 2nd as well?

Poll up for voting when the debate has begun
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Debate has not yet begun but somebody has already voted in the poll.. A nice open mind there.
Reply 2
Farage flourished on television. But we must remember - so did Nick Clegg once upon a time.
I don't really think there was a winner in the last round. As has been said by many, there was no real debate, Clegg was trying to win pro EU voters, Farage was trying to win anti EU voters, neither of them really attempted to engage with the opposing voters. As a europhile myself, I felt that Clegg didn't need to shout down Farage, on the most part, Clegg had the facts, Farage had the rhetoric. Hopefully Clegg will shine this evening.
Reply 4
Oh lord, there both launching personal attacks.
Reply 5
Last week was very boring.
Reply 6
Not sure which either of them has really gained from this.
Reply 7
This is not good for either, punch and judy politics.
Original post by Rakas21
This is not good for either, punch and judy politics.

Not even NEARLY as bad as PMQs this afternoon, that truly was awful.
Nick Clegg twisting words again, Migration Watch referred to just the city of Manchester, Clegg referred to the whole of Greater Manchester (i.e. a whole county).
Reply 10
Personally think Clegg is winning at the moment , although personally I'm anti Europe
Reply 11
Original post by mojojojo101
Not even NEARLY as bad as PMQs this afternoon, that truly was awful.

To be honest i imagine this is what a Clegg vs Farage PMQ's would be like.

Far too aggressive from both sides for me given last weeks debate.
Reply 12
Wow clegg is a terrible debater
Reply 13
I really like Farage, but Clegg doesn't raise the counter-argument that although yes we will save some money being out of the European Union - We will still have a similar expense being in the customs union, however we'll just not have a say in what regulations/policies are set across Europe instead. If he made that point, he'd probably win more voters but he's not the best at debating, instead it just appeared to be both of them saying each others statistics were wrong when they should have really agreed to statistics before the show. (I'm talking about last weeks debate if no one has worked that out yet).
Reply 14
FACTCHECKING
19:12: Emily Craig Political analyst, BBC News This is the car industry report they were talking about. 58% of those surveyed said they wanted to stay in with reform. 34% would stay in regardless. 3% want to leave.
Reply 15
FACTCHECKING
19:15: Emily Craig Political analyst, BBC News Nick Clegg says half of our exports are to Europe and we buy only 8% of what they sell. Official figures back this up. In 2013, UK exports totalled £304bn, with half (£153bn) going to the EU. We import around 9% of the goods exported within the EU - in 2012 it was £257bn of a total of £2,840bn.
Reply 16
On both trade and energy I think Farage is destroying Clegg.
This is want I want to see. A bit of fight from Clegg. He's talking a bit of rubbish but at least there was some spark there for a brief moment.
Reply 18
Original post by mikec47
On both trade and energy I think Farage is destroying Clegg.

:confused: He's just repeated coalition energy policy.

On trade i think Clegg is the better.

Original post by TheMagicRat
This is want I want to see. A bit of fight from Clegg. He's talking a bit of rubbish but at least there was some spark there for a brief moment.

I preferred the debate last week.
Reply 19
" Nick Farage":biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending