The Student Room Group

Year 12 Work Experience for Biochemistry this Summer?

I am currently in year 12 and I am hoping to apply for Biochemistry later this year. I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Computer Science and have target grades of AAAb and all the universities I wish to apply for are the London Colleges (Imperial, UCL, Kings, Queen Mary).

The work experience I currently have is 1. Two weeks working at a local Lloyds Pharmacy last summer & 2. A week working in my local hospital's Neurology ward.

Would there be any Biotechnology, Biological companies which could possibly offer me some work experience this summer?
At school, in our Senior Biology Society I have done a Biochemistry project involving using a Single-Nucleotide Polymorphism to predict
bitter tasting ability however I understand it is very unlikely a company would allow me to carry out any work/research.
Even doing admin work or paperwork would suffice as I feel as if being in contact with a Biotechnology company and having a feel for the field would very much enhance my application later this year.

Thanks
Hey Djent, just giving this a bump after moving it to the most relevant forum.
Reply 2
I would say the best thing to look at is the placements that the Nuffield Foundation do. http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/

Ask your Learning Coordinator, Head of Year, Form Tutor, Science Teacher... Just anyone, they may know some information.

They do placements for 4/6 weeks.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Original post by Djent
I am currently in year 12 and I am hoping to apply for Biochemistry later this year. I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Computer Science and have target grades of AAAb and all the universities I wish to apply for are the London Colleges (Imperial, UCL, Kings, Queen Mary).

The work experience I currently have is 1. Two weeks working at a local Lloyds Pharmacy last summer & 2. A week working in my local hospital's Neurology ward.

Would there be any Biotechnology, Biological companies which could possibly offer me some work experience this summer?
At school, in our Senior Biology Society I have done a Biochemistry project involving using a Single-Nucleotide Polymorphism to predict
bitter tasting ability however I understand it is very unlikely a company would allow me to carry out any work/research.
Even doing admin work or paperwork would suffice as I feel as if being in contact with a Biotechnology company and having a feel for the field would very much enhance my application later this year.

Thanks

Original post by Laura_N
I would say the best thing to look at is the placements that the Nuffield Foundation do. http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/

Ask your Learning Coordinator, Head of Year, Form Tutor, Science Teacher... Just anyone, they may know some information.

They do placements for 4/6 weeks.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Good post, thanks Laura
Reply 4
Original post by Captain Jack
Good post, thanks Laura

Anytime! If you need anymore help just let me know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest