Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Bollywood Society

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 67 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Most Competitive)
    Well, I watch them occasionally.

Here's the Ek Tha Tiger teaser. It's purely awesome Enjoy!

You beat me by 4 minutes!

Edit: The film does look epic. So much better than the action scenes we saw in Wanted, Dabangg and Bodyguard. ETT is on a whole new level altogether, I can't wait!

Although why the teaser didn't show anything of Katrina's character, is a mystery to me.
    • 67 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely not the first person to declare my love for all movies from both Bollywood and Hollywood. The 2 industries seem to be very well connected and we have stars regularly acting in films on both sides of the world. For example, Anil Kapoor appeared in 24 as well as Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and Slumdog Millionaire. Irrfan Khan will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man reboot and Mallika Sherawat played a role in a film called Hisss (although it wasn't very successful). Not to mention cameo roles from Sylvester Stallone, Denise Richards and Brandon Routh in Kambakkt Ishq.

So as comparisons will always be drawn between Bollywood and Hollywood actors/producers/directors/film crews, do you think the following are accurate enough in terms of status, success and acting styles in the respective industries? These are some of my opinions:

-Shah Rukh Khan = Tom Cruise/Denzel Washington/Johnny Depp

-Salman Khan = Sylvester Stallone

-Hrithik Roshan = Ryan Reynolds/Bradley Cooper/Ashton Kutcher/Hugh Jackman

-Kareena Kapoor/Priyanka Chopra/Katrina Kaif/Anushka Sharma/Aishwarya Rai = Angelina Jolie/Charlize Theron/Mila Kunis/Katherine Heigl/Cameron Diaz

-Akshay Kumar = Nicolas Cage/Steve McQueen/Jean Claude Van Damme

-Ranbir Kapoor/Shahid Kapoor/Imran Khan = Will Smith

-Ajay Devgan = Bruce Willis/John Travolta/Robert Downey Jr

-Amitabh Bachchan = Clint Eastwood/Sean Connery/Donald Sutherland

-Yash Chopra = Ivan Reitman

-Prabhu Deva/Vijay Krishna Acharya/Kabir Khan = Michael Bay/Christopher Nolan

-Govinda = Jack Black
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bright.Inspiration.)
    Asif! Seen shaitan yet?
    I'm going to keep nagging you until you do btw, its literally that good
    Very good movie, although its inspired by Kashyap's previous flick "Paanch" which ended up being heavily censored with limited release.. so Shaitan was made.

I thoroughly reccommend people to watch the trailer for Shanghai! It will definately be a great movie, made by the same guy who did Oye Lucky Lucky Oye and Love Sex aur Dhoka.. its naturally more of a critic film but the casting is superb. I will always watch a cast of actors, rather than stars.

If I see another YashRaj production with a cheese-textbook director casting chocolate boy roles with Ranvir Singh, Ranbir Kapoor, Shahid Kapoor, etc.. with non talented NRI girls I might just throw rocks at the screen.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)
    You beat me by 4 minutes!

Edit: The film does look epic. So much better than the action scenes we saw in Wanted, Dabangg and Bodyguard. ETT is on a whole new level altogether, I can't wait!

Although why the teaser didn't show anything of Katrina's character, is a mystery to me.
    Agent Vinod beat ETT to the class action scenes it seems :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely not the first person to declare my love for all movies from both Bollywood and Hollywood. The 2 industries seem to be very well connected and we have stars regularly acting in films on both sides of the world. For example, Anil Kapoor appeared in 24 as well as Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and Slumdog Millionaire. Irrfan Khan will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man reboot and Mallika Sherawat played a role in a film called Hisss (although it wasn't very successful). Not to mention cameo roles from Sylvester Stallone, Denise Richards and Brandon Routh in Kambakkt Ishq.

So as comparisons will always be drawn between Bollywood and Hollywood actors/producers/directors/film crews, do you think the following are accurate enough in terms of status, success and acting styles in the respective industries? These are some of my opinions:

-Kareena Kapoor/Priyanka Chopra/Katrina Kaif/Anushka Sharma/Aishwarya Rai = Angelina Jolie/Charlize Theron/Mila Kunis/Katherine Heigl/Cameron Diaz

-Govinda = Jack Black
    Are you freaking kidding me here... comparing Christopher Nolan with Prabhu Deva - he has directed Wanted which was good no doubt but not even 1/100 of Nolan's films in any aspect whatsoever?

And Govinda with Jack Black... I don't understand how have you drawn comparisons here...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey have you guys seen Vicky Donor?

The cast was very good they all acted very well!

I'd give it 3.5/5
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

-Govinda = Jack Black

What an inaccurate comparison lol! Sorry..*

My comparison:

SRK: Tom Cruise
    Aamir: Tom Hanks
    Amitabh: Clint Eastwood (without the direction element)
    Anurag Kashyap: Tarantino (in that he's an acquired taste)
    Akshay Kumar: Mark Whalberg
    Govinda: Jim Carrey (uncanny comparison as both can act but they often choose the wrong film.. detrimenting their career).

Thats about it. There is only one Johnny Depp, and bollywood doesn't offer anyone near to him considering our cinema is very limited. Same goes for Nolan, its an insult to compare him to the talentless douches you've named in the list. Prabhu Deva and Vijay Krishna Acharya WTF?
    • 67 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joy12)
    Are you freaking kidding me here... comparing Christopher Nolan with Prabhu Deva - he has directed Wanted which was good no doubt but not even 1/100 of Nolan's films in any aspect whatsoever?

And Govinda with Jack Black... I don't understand how have you drawn comparisons here...
    Jeez, there's no need to get so offended! I never said that Christopher Nolan was as good as Prabhu Deva. Maybe I should have been clearer - my comparisons were based on the impact that each person's films have created in their respective industries. In fact, I agree that Wanted doesn't match anywhere near the scale and intensity of Nolan's films. For Nolan, the Batman series and Inception established him as a world-class action director and a maker of quality films. For Prabhu Deva, Wanted and Rowdy Rathore have also established him as a successful action movie director in Bollywood. Whether their films are as good as each other is a different debate. Govinda and Jack Black are both established comedy actors in Bollywood and Hollywood respectively, so I compared them. Regardless of whether their films are as good as each other or not.

So I will keep both industries completely separate and independent of each other in my mind, yes?. :eek:

(Original post by rickjames)
    What an inaccurate comparison lol! Sorry..*

My comparison:

SRK: Tom Cruise
    Aamir: Tom Hanks
    Amitabh: Clint Eastwood (without the direction element)
    Anurag Kashyap: Tarantino (in that he's an acquired taste)
    Akshay Kumar: Mark Whalberg
    Govinda: Jim Carrey (uncanny comparison as both can act but they often choose the wrong film.. detrimenting their career).

Thats about it. There is only one Johnny Depp, and bollywood doesn't offer anyone near to him considering our cinema is very limited. Same goes for Nolan, its an insult to compare him to the talentless douches you've named in the list. Prabhu Deva and Vijay Krishna Acharya WTF?
    Fair enough. At least you put it gently.

Johnny Depp is a method and character actor, as is Ajay Devgan. That's where my comparison comes from.

I wouldn't go as far as to call PD and VKA "talentless douches". That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Yes, I understand that their films might not be on the same scale as similar Hollywood films - but are you telling me you didn't even enjoy Wanted, Tashan or Dhoom 1 & 2?

At least I know now that comparing Hollywood and Bollywood movies/film crews/actors is a very touchy topic.
    • 67 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, to start afresh...

I read recently that Ishaqzaade and Dangerous Ishq are not releasing in the UK on 11th May, as they were in India. But there's still no sign of when they might come to UK screens... Are we even going to see them at all? I've checked the upcoming films on cinema websites and can't find Ishaqzaade or Dangerous Ishq anywhere...

Anyone know what's going on? When are they releasing here?

Also, Teri Meri Kahaani may have a premiere in the UK! I sure hope it does - then I can finally go to a Bollywood movie premiere in my home city!

http://bollynewsuk.com/2012/04/11/te...a-uk-premiere/

(Read the "Important Updates" section on the right hand side of the above webpage for the info about Ishaqzaade and Dangerous Ishq).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Fair enough. At least you put it gently.

Johnny Depp is a method and character actor, as is Ajay Devgan. That's where my comparison comes from.

I wouldn't go as far as to call PD and VKA "talentless douches". That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Yes, I understand that their films might not be on the same scale as similar Hollywood films - but are you telling me you didn't even enjoy Wanted, Tashan or Dhoom 1 & 2?

Wanted was a hit because of Salman Khan and the music directors, not PD. The movie itself had the worst dialogues, worst story, most unrealistic fight scenes and cheesey sound effects. Tashan was a super flop, and Dhoom 1 and 2 sold on star power, not substance. Watch the movie again, ignoring the big names (perhaps showing it to someone who doesn't watch much bollywood would be a good test) and you'l see how bad they were. The director went on to made Kidnap, no stars there, hence the bomb at the box office.

Infact, my respect for Aamir Khan for choosing Dhoom 3 went down a little, he must have chosen it for the character because the movie will be complete S if its VKA again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I watched Ishaqzaade, its a very very good film, I'd give it a 4/5, Parineeti's acting is really outstanding. Arjun kapoor also does a wonderful job in the movie, the dialogues are very good, screenplay is crisp and story keeps you on the edge. Music is very addictive.

arjun kapoor looks a lot like abhishek bachan, arjun is a better version of junior bachan
    • 67 followers

ReputationRep:
    Found an answer to my own question (above) about the release of Ishaqzaade in the UK. Turns out it isn't opening in the UK until this Friday, 18th May. At least we definitely will see it now!

http://www.glamsham.com/movies/scoop...-week-0512.asp
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I watched Jannat 2 yesterday, its average, the actress reminds of you of Angelina Jolie... her side profile looks like her... the movie is easily avoidable...

i'd give it 1.5/5
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joy12)
    I watched Ishaqzaade, its a very very good film, I'd give it a 4/5, Parineeti's acting is really outstanding. Arjun kapoor also does a wonderful job in the movie, the dialogues are very good, screenplay is crisp and story keeps you on the edge. Music is very addictive.

arjun kapoor looks a lot like abhishek bachan, arjun is a better version of junior bachan
    How can Arjun be a better version of Abhishek than Abhishek.

No offence but I voided your entire review based on that one line.. which is OK logic considering you voided all of Abhishek's work (Yuva, Guru, Dum Maaro Dum, etc) based on one film from a debut actor.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can Arjun be a better version of Abhishek than Abhishek.

No offence but I voided your entire review based on that one line.. which is OK logic considering you voided all of Abhishek's work (Yuva, Guru, Dum Maaro Dum, etc) based on one film from a debut actor.
    None taken, it is my personal opinion. You don't have to take it to your grave. My views haven't changed on Arjun Kapoor, he looks like junior B and he acts better.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joy12)
    None taken, it is my personal opinion. You don't have to take it to your grave. My views haven't changed on Arjun Kapoor, he looks like junior B and he acts better.
    So his acting in the movie was greater than stellar performances seen in Guru Yuva DMD etc?

I really want to hear this, considering I've seen Ishaqzaadhe myself and know exactly how his acting compares.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So his acting in the movie was greater than stellar performances seen in Guru Yuva DMD etc?

I really want to hear this, considering I've seen Ishaqzaadhe myself and know exactly how his acting compares.
    Oh God! What part of "It is my personal opinion" you don't understand? Get over it! I hope you are not Junior B lol!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happyness)
    Its extremely odd how non-hindi speaking people actually like watching bollywood, where you wouldn't get any movie of the same caliber as those in the mainstream of Hollywood. Why, there was a thread recently about Bollywood plagiarising everything off Hollywood, and still you guys like watching these movies.

I mean i can understand why Desi people would watch them, but i never knew non-desi's were into it as well!

Oh, yea, Urdu is very similar to Hindi, with only a few variations between the two in terms of the vocab used. So what makes you like Bollywood movies?
    If you dont like it then dont watch it. There are a lot of great Bollywood movies that are originals like Lagaan, Dor and one of bollywood's recently released movie, Kahaani, made it into imdb's
    have you heard of Satyajit Ray? His movies were were appreciated in Hollywood and he even got an honourary lifetime oscar award
    The thing is its hard to compare Bollywood and Hollywood. Bollywood movies are all musicals and many are escapist movies made for the general public of Asia who watch movies to escape from reality. Also, many non-desis like bollywood movies for their portrayal of indian culture and history as well as the colour and glamour. It's like saying tehre are lot of good ways to exercise that are strenuous and can result in a fit body so why do people like Yoga then? ANd yoga is popular worldwide.

A couple of my non-desi friends are into bollywood movies for their classic romance, the songs, colour and portrayal of different cultures. I encourage their fascination and tell them about new bollywood movies. They have also been to India and loved it.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joy12)
    I watched Jannat 2 yesterday, its average, the actress reminds of you of Angelina Jolie... her side profile looks like her... the movie is easily avoidable...

i'd give it 1.5/5

Haven't seen it myself... because it did look kinda crappy
    and the story line seemed predictable
    I like the songs in it though.... O.O
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A week ago I watched Desi Boyz with John Abraham and Akshay Kumar. Its really funny! Has anyone else watched it?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 28, 2014
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.