The Student Room Group

TSR Bollywood Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asif007

Haha thanks for reading my review. Didn't know you placed so much importance on them! I'm not really watching Hindi films in the cinema very often in the lead-up to my exams so I suppose my reviews of the new films will be few and far between. But definitely go and see Badlapur if you get a chance, it's brilliant. :smile:

Lol what I meant was that it's the annual charity show run by NHSF Leeds (Mehfil 2015) and not my "own" show per se. I only say my own because I'm performing in it, haha. :biggrin: There will be a range of performances from different groups so I can't exactly say which songs each group will be dancing to as I don't know fully. But Leeds South Asian Society (LSA) are dancing to Palat Tera Hero Idhar Hai, Chalo Ishq Ladaaye, Ek Pal Ka Jeena, Loyal (Chris Brown) and Tu Meri, among others. Leeds Bhangra Society and Keele Bhangra Society will have their own choices of Bhangra songs, probably a few traditional Punjabi songs mixed with current UK Bhangra tracks. Street Dance have probably got a selection of Hip-Hop/Dubstep songs. So overall a wide range of music being played on the night! :biggrin:

On the other hand, Vibes Leeds (the other Bollywood dance group) have probably chosen 3 or 4 songs from the same film to perform to in the same routine. They might be OK dancers but no-one on the committee watches Hindi films so they just pick all the obvious chart-busters from the most well-known films before choreographing the routines. Last year they danced to 4 songs from Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani and this year I guarantee they will be doing at least 3 songs from Happy New Year. :s-smilie:

This Bollywood Soc meet-up sounds like a good idea. I'm assuming it might be a good idea to hold it in Birmingham as a few of us can get there quite easily? I stay with family in Coventry every now and then so I could join you guys for a film in Birmingham. :smile:

Glad someone agrees that Asian clothes look good on guys! How could we possibly call ourselves Asian if we don't like wearing the clothes? Especially for us Punjabis, the clothes are so important for functions like weddings and music shows. Plus, a salwar kameez is much easier to dance in than a slim-fit shirt and trousers! :biggrin:

I like reading your reviews because they're quite detailed so I like reading them and they really help me choose which film to watch. Oh yeah films and exams don't go well together :smile:
What year of uni are you in?

I guessed that's what you meant haha :smile: it's so awesome that you'll be performing though. How are the rehearsals going?
Omg that sounds awesome. I love the whole mix thing going on because I don't think we will be having a huge mix of music.

But I'm really excited about mine though... Hopefully its good. Btw good luck with your performance :smile:

I guess it would be nice if other people agreed to come too. So when would be suitable to meet up? Well I would find birmingham perfect because I live here but it's about everyone's convenience.

I guess girls are expected to wear asian clothes but boys aren't and that's why boys don't like wearing them. I love it when boys can pull off a good salwar kameez. You're punjabi? Punjabis are energetic and love their dance and masti :smile: don't they?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bee3011
I like reading your reviews because they're quite detailed so I like reading them and they really help me choose which film to watch. Oh yeah films and exams don't go well together :smile:
What year of uni are you in?

I guessed that's what you meant haha :smile: it's so awesome that you'll be performing though. How are the rehearsals going?
Omg that sounds awesome. I love the whole mix thing going on because I don't think we will be having a huge mix of music.

But I'm really excited about mine though... Hopefully its good. Btw good luck with your performance :smile:

I guess it would be nice if other people agreed to come too. So when would be suitable to meet up? Well I would find birmingham perfect because I live here but it's about everyone's convenience.

I guess girls are expected to wear asian clothes but boys aren't and that's why boys don't like wearing them. I love it when boys can pull off a good salwar kameez. You're punjabi? Punjabis are energetic and love their dance and masti :smile: don't they?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Much appreciated! They're just my informal opinions so I didn't realise anyone really took them seriously, lol. I'm glad they gave you some idea of which films to see though. :smile:

Rehearsals are going well but I've tried to keep them to a minimum this year as I really overdid it last year. I've only been to 2 rehearsals last week about 90 minutes each and I've got another 2 or 3 before the show on Saturday. I'm only in a fashion show this year whereas before I've been in dance routines as well, but those needed longer rehearsals which I just couldn't commit to this year. :frown: I'm saving all my energy for the after-party though cos I have a reputation to maintain. I'm the guy that everyone knows will go mad on the dance floor at these types of events, haha. :biggrin: But hopefully one day in the future I'll be able to go back to dancing on stage again, wherever it might take me. :smile:

Yes I'm Punjabi (Pakistani though, not Indian)! Haha we definitely have a reputation for enjoying our dance and having loads of fun - I hope I live up to that! I love Bhangra and Bollywood with all my heart and I've been raised on both for a very long time so I could never go without either of them, lol. Thanks for your good wishes, hopefully everything goes well this year as there were a couple of slip-ups the last 2 years running! Hope your event turns out great as well. :smile:

Also, seeing as you invited me, you're welcome to come along to our event if you're free on Saturday! I know it's probably a little more convenient for students to have the event on a weekend as opposed to a weekday... The cinema trip sounds good too so I think I will put out open invites in another post and see who is interested. Hopefully we can get some more people to join us.

PS. I'm in 3rd year of uni :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry it's such short notice but I never realised before that I could actually promote an event on here and possibly gain some interest! :redface:

NHSF Leeds are holding their annual charity show, Mehfil, on Saturday 7th March 2015. Ticket prices include a 3-course meal and entrance to the after-party. We have a range of dance performances (Bollywood, Bhangra, Street, Classical Indian), singing, a fashion show (in which I am performing) and possibly some stand-up comedy too. Plus there will be a performance from a special guest act, internationally renowned for their dancing skills and well-known as the runners-up of a popular UK talent show!

Tickets are £25 for non-members - might be expensive but I guarantee you this will be an unforgettable night!

Have a look at the event below and PM me if you're interested in getting some tickets. Hope to see some of you there! :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1387240498255291
(edited 9 years ago)
And regarding this cinema trip we're hoping to organise... At the moment we've pencilled in Birmingham as our host city. I suggest we go to either Cineworld on Broad Street (not sure how popular that one is for Hindi films though) or Vue Star City (which I prefer).

So far the users I know are interested:

Myself (asif007)
Bee3011
Most Competitive

Anyone else up for it? Let's try and arrange it for a weekend, possibly during the Easter holidays when most of us should be free? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by asif007
Much appreciated! They're just my informal opinions so I didn't realise anyone really took them seriously, lol. I'm glad they gave you some idea of which films to see though. :smile:

Rehearsals are going well but I've tried to keep them to a minimum this year as I really overdid it last year. I've only been to 2 rehearsals last week about 90 minutes each and I've got another 2 or 3 before the show on Saturday. I'm only in a fashion show this year whereas before I've been in dance routines as well, but those needed longer rehearsals which I just couldn't commit to this year. :frown: I'm saving all my energy for the after-party though cos I have a reputation to maintain. I'm the guy that everyone knows will go mad on the dance floor at these types of events, haha. :biggrin: But hopefully one day in the future I'll be able to go back to dancing on stage again, wherever it might take me. :smile:

Yes I'm Punjabi (Pakistani though, not Indian)! Haha we definitely have a reputation for enjoying our dance and having loads of fun - I hope I live up to that! I love Bhangra and Bollywood with all my heart and I've been raised on both for a very long time so I could never go without either of them, lol. Thanks for your good wishes, hopefully everything goes well this year as there were a couple of slip-ups the last 2 years running! Hope your event turns out great as well. :smile:

Also, seeing as you invited me, you're welcome to come along to our event if you're free on Saturday! I know it's probably a little more convenient for students to have the event on a weekend as opposed to a weekday... The cinema trip sounds good too so I think I will put out open invites in another post and see who is interested. Hopefully we can get some more people to join us.

PS. I'm in 3rd year of uni :smile:

They're pretty good and really show your knowledge of Bollywood.

Oh yeah overdoing them isn't a good idea. If you're only in the fashion show then that should be okay. Oh wow that's pretty awesome haha :smile: our after party is in a shisha lounge so it's all about the shisha so I won't be going. Wow you really love your dancing. Is that something you would do professionally or just as a hobby ?

Oh I'm Pakistani too. My best friend is indian punjabi and she invited me to her brothers engagement and it was so crazy but so much fun because everyone was on the dance floor. Awww I'm sure it'll go well and there's always slip ups so that's nothing to worry about. I hope mine goes well.

I would love to but I'm volunteering this Saturday and I have to save for the Hindu soc event called diya because they're doing a bollywood through the years performance which I'm really looking forward too :smile:
But thanks for the invite. Yeah that sounds like a good idea then hopefully more people will show interest.

Oh wow how do you handle everything else while being a third year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asif007
And regarding this cinema trip we're hoping to organise... At the moment we've pencilled in Birmingham as our host city. I suggest we go to either Cineworld on Broad Street (not sure how popular that one is for Hindi films though) or Vue Star City (which I prefer).

Myself (asif007)
Bee3011
Most Competitive

Anyone else up for it? Let's try and arrange it for a weekend, possibly during the Easter holidays when most of us should be free? :smile:

Easter holidays I might be going away so I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Logo for Emraan Hashmi's next film Mr X. Trailer debuts tomorrow - keep an eye out! :smile:

First poster for Margarita With A Straw, starring Kalki Koechlin. Seems to be getting a lot of attention at film festivals and gives me the impression that this film will be hoping to emulate Kangana Ranaut's success in Queen.

Still love this song! :biggrin: It's miles better than all that Bhangra crap. Also, it just shows that Punjabi music can actually be really good but only really talented people like AR Rahman and Gulzar can make it happen.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Most Competitive
Still love this song! :biggrin: It's miles better than all that Bhangra crap. Also, it just shows that Punjabi music can actually be really good but only really talented people like AR Rahman and Gulzar can make it happen.

Spoiler

Are you here at the event?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

I make no apology for the fact that I find this really insulting. You obviously have no idea what Bhangra means to Punjabi people so I don't understand how you, being Punjabi as well, can seriously claim to be proud of your culture if you say something like that? Bhangra is part of our upbringing and I think it's quite disrespectful to insult it when it's been a staple of our culture for decades. Bhangra and Bollywood have a synergistic relationship in the UK and for many people, Bollywood movies are so popular because of songs with a Punjabi feel. It's very disappointing that you don't even give any credit to the legends like Malkit Singh, Channi Singh and Apna Sangeet who first popularised Bhangra in the UK because they all contributed to the surge in interest in Bollywood films through their music.

I'm quite surprised that you haven't worked out just how big an influence Bhangra music has had on Bollywood in the first place because it's immensely popular with all Indians, not just Punjabis. Without the success of the Bhangra music that you turn your nose up at, Gulzar and AR Rahman would never have started creating Punjabi beats and lyrics for Bollywood songs which are still largely in Hindi.

You know, the last person who insulted Bhangra to my face - I told him to go **** himself. And FYI, he is the biggest coconut I know. If you're coming out with outrageous statements like that, I'm not surprised you've been getting some cold reactions from other Asian people. Findian indeed :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Trailer for Mr X. Looks great! :smile:

[video="youtube;5nCicl_EFnE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nCicl_EFnE[/video]
Trailer for Margarita With A Straw :smile:

[video="youtube;6zy3F0WVDK0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zy3F0WVDK0[/video]
Original post by Bee3011
Are you here at the event?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I was (as promised)! :biggrin: IMO it was a great night overall. I'm not a big fan of any of the performers or anything but I got the chance to meet some nice people and the food was alright too! :biggrin:

Since I've got this 1 week off Uni this term, I'm staying till Monday evening as I've made plans to meet some people from sixth form who are at the University of Birmingham and Aston. It'll give me a good chance to have a look around too! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yep I was (as promised)! :biggrin: IMO it was a great night overall. I'm not a big fan of any of the performers or anything but I got the chance to meet some nice people and the food was alright too! :biggrin:

Since I've got this 1 week off Uni this term, I'm staying till Monday evening as I've made plans to meet some people from sixth form who are at the University of Birmingham and Aston. It'll give me a good chance to have a look around too! :biggrin:

Awww that's good that you had a great night and met some new people :smile:

Oh wow thats pretty cool :smile: so you'll be having a nice time then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bee3011
Awww that's good that you had a great night and met some new people :smile:

Oh wow thats pretty cool :smile: so you'll be having a nice time then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's going to be my first long stay in this city, and I've heard that there a lot of cool places to visit around here. So, even though we mostly stayed indoors today (all a bit drained after last night :tongue:) I'm definitely looking forward to the next few days :smile:
Original post by asif007
I make no apology for the fact that I find this really insulting. You obviously have no idea what Bhangra means to Punjabi people so I don't understand how you, being Punjabi as well, can seriously claim to be proud of your culture if you say something like that? Bhangra is part of our upbringing and I think it's quite disrespectful to insult it when it's been a staple of our culture for decades. Bhangra and Bollywood have a synergistic relationship in the UK and for many people, Bollywood movies are so popular because of songs with a Punjabi feel. It's very disappointing that you don't even give any credit to the legends like Malkit Singh, Channi Singh and Apna Sangeet who first popularised Bhangra in the UK because they all contributed to the surge in interest in Bollywood films through their music.

I'm quite surprised that you haven't worked out just how big an influence Bhangra music has had on Bollywood in the first place because it's immensely popular with all Indians, not just Punjabis. Without the success of the Bhangra music that you turn your nose up at, Gulzar and AR Rahman would never have started creating Punjabi beats and lyrics for Bollywood songs which are still largely in Hindi.

You know, the last person who insulted Bhangra to my face - I told him to go **** himself. And FYI, he is the biggest coconut I know. If you're coming out with outrageous statements like that, I'm not surprised you've been getting some cold reactions from other Asian people. Findian indeed :frown:

Sorry dude, that came out a bit wrong. Actually, even I look forward to the Punjabi kind of Bollywood music but I'm not so keen on "pure" Bhangra. In fact, I wrote that post just as I was thinking about the performances which then took place later on last night at that B'ham event.

Original post by asif007

Myself (asif007)
Bee3011
Most Competitive

To be honest, I don't really mind what weekend you guys arrange. My summer exams start in the last week of May, so as long as it's before (or possibly after) that I don't mind :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
It's going to be my first long stay in this city, and I've heard that there a lot of cool places to visit around here. So, even though we mostly stayed indoors today (all a bit drained after last night :tongue:) I'm definitely looking forward to the next few days :smile:

Yeah there is a lot of places to visit... Yeah I was tired but I had lectures to go to so I had to get up and dress. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here's the first poster for BROTHERS, feat. Akshay Kumar and Siddharth Malhotra. It's coming out on the 14th of Aug this year! :smile:

First look at Anil Kapoor in Dil Dhadakne Do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest