The Student Room Group

TSR Bollywood Society

Scroll to see replies

Anyone here seen Sultan? What did you think? Let us know your thoughts please! I haven't seen it yet but it's on my to-do list - I'm aiming to go next week. :smile:

Sultan has been breaking records left, right and centre (no surprises there!) so I thought now would be a good time to analyse King Salman Khan's upcoming films. He is undoubtedly the biggest superstar in India right now, and unstoppable at the box office! :biggrin:

Confirmed for next year we have "Tubelight" with Kabir Khan (Eid 2017) and Rajkumar Santoshi's next project (Diwali 2017). Kabir needs no introduction since directing Salman's most successful film ever last year, while Santoshi has always been an immensely talented director with hits like Khakee, Ghayal and (of course), Andaz Apna Apna. Both films are guaranteed to be some of the highest earners of 2017 - Salman has not had a single flop in 6 years and unlike his contemporaries (bar Akshay), his films are consistently entertaining every year.

After that, it's anyone's guess! According to the media, Salman has been circling a few projects and presumably several producers are falling over themselves to sign him for their films, lol. Based on the projects we know are definitely in development right now, I personally would love to see any/all of Kick 2, Dabangg 3 and No Entry Mein Entry in 2018. The latter has been stuck in development for years so hopefully it finally gets off the ground soon. A sequel to Sultan has also been rumoured given how well the film is doing right now. And I'm sure it would be a dream come true for every Salman fan in the world if he signs Dhoom 4, hopefully for 2019! Long Live Salman Bhai! :biggrin:
Original post by asif007
Anyone here seen Sultan? What did you think? Let us know your thoughts please! I haven't seen it yet but it's on my to-do list - I'm aiming to go next week. :smile:

Sultan has been breaking records left, right and centre (no surprises there!) so I thought now would be a good time to analyse King Salman Khan's upcoming films. He is undoubtedly the biggest superstar in India right now, and unstoppable at the box office! :biggrin:

Confirmed for next year we have "Tubelight" with Kabir Khan (Eid 2017) and Rajkumar Santoshi's next project (Diwali 2017). Kabir needs no introduction since directing Salman's most successful film ever last year, while Santoshi has always been an immensely talented director with hits like Khakee, Ghayal and (of course), Andaz Apna Apna. Both films are guaranteed to be some of the highest earners of 2017 - Salman has not had a single flop in 6 years and unlike his contemporaries (bar Akshay), his films are consistently entertaining every year.

After that, it's anyone's guess! According to the media, Salman has been circling a few projects and presumably several producers are falling over themselves to sign him for their films, lol. Based on the projects we know are definitely in development right now, I personally would love to see any/all of Kick 2, Dabangg 3 and No Entry Mein Entry in 2018. The latter has been stuck in development for years so hopefully it finally gets off the ground soon. A sequel to Sultan has also been rumoured given how well the film is doing right now. And I'm sure it would be a dream come true for every Salman fan in the world if he signs Dhoom 4, hopefully for 2019! Long Live Salman Bhai! :biggrin:

I enjoyed Sultan, going to watch the movie with very low expectations, but surprised at the outcome. Good story, wrestling and mma nicely included in the story. Salman Khan performance outstanding in some scenes. Anuskha Sharma performance is good too I was really impressed with her acting probably one of her more mature roles, but she does so well. All other actors do a decent job when required. The story itself is pretty good, some scenes made me quite emotional and the music is pretty good for most parts. Enjoyed "Baby Ko bass pasand hai" very funny song and "Jag Ghoomeya". Overall 8/10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shiby_123
I enjoyed Sultan, going to watch the movie with very low expectations, but surprised at the outcome. Good story, wrestling and mma nicely included in the story. Salman Khan performance outstanding in some scenes. Anuskha Sharma performance is good too I was really impressed with her acting probably one of her more mature roles, but she does so well. All other actors do a decent job when required. The story itself is pretty good, some scenes made me quite emotional and the music is pretty good for most parts. Enjoyed "Baby Ko bass pasand hai" very funny song and "Jag Ghoomeya". Overall 8/10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you enjoyed it! Was it as good as Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Kick? I've heard that Anushka Sharma is one of the strengths of the film but she gets sidelined in the second half? That's a shame considering how awesome she was in NH10, but then again this is a Salman film - lol. It's great she has played the role with some skill and hard work though. The reviews are also saying Salman gives a kick-ass performance too (no pun intended, lol). If that's true, it's an excellent achievement for him, given how he's recently taken a lot of criticism for his acting. I do love the songs and Zafar's last movie Gunday was one of my favourites of 2014 so I'm just dying to see Sultan! Will report back when I do. :smile:
Cannot wait! :biggrin:

[video="youtube;TGeWFv0iDK4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGeWFv0iDK4[/video]
Original post by asif007
Glad you enjoyed it! Was it as good as Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Kick? I've heard that Anushka Sharma is one of the strengths of the film but she gets sidelined in the second half? That's a shame considering how awesome she was in NH10, but then again this is a Salman film - lol. It's great she has played the role with some skill and hard work though. The reviews are also saying Salman gives a kick-ass performance too (no pun intended, lol). If that's true, it's an excellent achievement for him, given how he's recently taken a lot of criticism for his acting. I do love the songs and Zafar's last movie Gunday was one of my favourites of 2014 so I'm just dying to see Sultan! Will report back when I do. :smile:

She is sidelined a bit, but they bring her back near the end. I loved her performance in NH10, I would say this is a more challenging role due to the change in speech (different language/accent I think) and plus she is playing a slightly older and more mature role which I've not seen from her before. Wouldn't say better than Bajrangi Bhaijaan but better than Kick and I enjoyed both those movies. A definite hit though- enjoy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shiby_123
She is sidelined a bit, but they bring her back near the end. I loved her performance in NH10, I would say this is a more challenging role due to the change in speech (different language/accent I think) and plus she is playing a slightly older and more mature role which I've not seen from her before. Wouldn't say better than Bajrangi Bhaijaan but better than Kick and I enjoyed both those movies. A definite hit though- enjoy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! It's surprising to hear of the female lead having a challenging role in a Salman Khan film considering the actresses he usually works with - lol. I suppose it just goes to show that Anushka has a lot more acting talent than most of her contemporaries. And she's already one of the few actresses to have worked with all 3 Khans! Looking forward to seeing her in Sultan and Ae Dil Hai Mushkil too :smile:
Looks decent! :smile:

[video="youtube;d97t-BAQ24Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d97t-BAQ24Q[/video]
Do you think Dangal can match the success of Sultan?

[video="youtube;xq1cEmhVa68"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq1cEmhVa68[/video]
Will be watching this today :biggrin:
Original post by Eternalflames
[video="youtube;xq1cEmhVa68"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq1cEmhVa68[/video]
Will be watching this today :biggrin:

Let us know what you think! :smile:
You know those random bits of information you find out about your family sometimes? I don't know all the details, but this is what I found out over the weekend.

Apparently my dada-ji used to organise darbar in Gujrat (Pakistani Punjab) many years ago (this was probably some time in the 70's). He used to invite one particular Qawwali group for every session, and guess who was in that group? The legends Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Ustad Rahat Fateh Ali Khan!!! :biggrin: (before they became super-famous, lol).

It goes further than that - my dada-ji also used to invite the whole group over to his ancestral house in Gujrat for dinner, where my dada-ji would chat with them and my chacha used to play with Rahat saab and a few other children. So on my trips to Pakistan I've stayed in the same house that the legends once visited, lol. My chacha (who is in his early 50's now) says that Rahat saab can't have been more than about 5 or 6 years old at that time. Awww :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
YES! Go Tiger! :biggrin:

[video="youtube;1J9Z0qhKZqo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J9Z0qhKZqo[/video]
Original post by asif007
Let us know what you think! :smile:

It was good, but weird :lol:
Definitely worth a watch though. I mean what can you expect it's about a serial killer, so it's crazy. :tongue:
Nawazuddin's acting was perfect as always. There was a part of the movie which was slightly unexpected for me, but that just adds to what makes the movie good.
Original post by Eternalflames
It was good, but weird :lol:
Definitely worth a watch though. I mean what can you expect it's about a serial killer, so it's crazy. :tongue:
Nawazuddin's acting was perfect as always. There was a part of the movie which was slightly unexpected for me, but that just adds to what makes the movie good.

Haha ok. Weird as in surreal or weird as in hard to understand? Yes Nawazuddin is a brilliant actor and after Badlapur it's great to see him moving from strength to strength. Vicky Kaushal also seems to be doing well. I do wish Bollywood would make more gangster dramas and movies about anti-heroes like this one. All they need do is look to Hollywood masterpieces like American Psycho, Hannibal and Fight Club for those character-driven performances of twisted and insane people - lol. So far, only an actor as supremely talented as Nawazuddin would have been able to pull off a role like this, but in the future I sure hope some of the younger commercial actors do more dark films like this.
Original post by asif007
Haha ok. Weird as in surreal or weird as in hard to understand? Yes Nawazuddin is a brilliant actor and after Badlapur it's great to see him moving from strength to strength. Vicky Kaushal also seems to be doing well. I do wish Bollywood would make more gangster dramas and movies about anti-heroes like this one. All they need do is look to Hollywood masterpieces like American Psycho, Hannibal and Fight Club for those character-driven performances of twisted and insane people - lol. So far, only an actor as supremely talented as Nawazuddin would have been able to pull off a role like this, but in the future I sure hope some of the younger commercial actors do more dark films like this.

Weird as in surreal, and yeah most of the 'twisted' roles in Bollywood movies so far just end up looking comedic but Nawazuddin and Vicky do it well in this.
Are you excited to see SRK and the gorgeous Alia Bhatt in Gauri Shinde's Dear Zindagi ? :smile:

There's only a handful of glimpses of her, but check out our Bollywood goddess Deepika Padukone kicking ass alongside Vin Diesel! :smile:

[video="youtube;mspnr56tnLA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mspnr56tnLA[/video]
The gorgeous Diana Penty returns to cinema screens after 4 years! :smile:

[video="youtube;9OXFk-pdi6c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OXFk-pdi6c[/video]
Even though I don't think Sid or Kat are great actors, this looks pretty good! :smile:

[video="youtube;Wiuj_GHlb64"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wiuj_GHlb64[/video]
Could this be Ajay Devgan's biggest film so far? Looks amazing! :biggrin:

[video="youtube;poLjq0u4_5A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poLjq0u4_5A[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest