The Student Room Group

Summer School in Germany?

Hiya,
I'm in year 12 at the moment and am hoping to do German at uni. I went to Berlin last December with my school and it was the most amazing experience ever. I feel strangely so homesick for it now, I just want to go back. To anywhere in Germany really, and I thought a summer school would be a great way to do that, especially as I'd be able to advance my language knowledge.

I've googled loads of summer schools, but I don't know what one to trust and I was wondering if anyone had some 1st hand experience? Is it too late to apply now?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi!

A couple of years ago I went with my school to a language school in Germany called Dialoge Sprachinstitut (http://www.dialoge.com/en/), and I can thoroughly recommend it! It's right in the south, on the border with Austria, and it's so pretty!

They do summer schools, although I think you'd probably be too old for them - the oldest you can be is 16 - but the main things they do are general German courses that run throughout the whole year. You can start any time you want and stay for as long as you want (I think there's a minimum limit of 2 weeks). You'd be placed in a class with other students according to your ability, and have lessons in the mornings and trips/activities in the afternoons.

You'd also have a choice of where to stay - they have host families that work with the school and you could stay with one of them in a pair with another student who would probably have a different first language from you, or you could stay in a student house with loads of other students from Dialoge. We stayed with host families which was great, but I therefore don't know much at all about the student houses.

The downside is that it's quite expensive, but then I guess most summer schools in Germany will be.

As far as I know, it's not too late to apply.

Feel free to ask/pm me if you want to know any more about it!
Reply 2
If you want to go back to Berlin, I would recommend GLS Berlin, they are fantastic! I enjoyed myself so much I went a second time. What I really appreciated was how the lessons are interesting and really help improve your German and you also have quite a lot of independence if you want accommodation wise, as the school organises apartments for its students, although also host families if you'd prefer that.
There are a number of activities that the school organises as well and there's something for everyone, they organise everything from bike rides to museum trips to bar crawls!
I probably sound like an advert here but this is all my own opinion, I really disliked German until I made myself go to GLS in the summer and that wakened my enthusiasm:smile: if you google GLS Berlin, you should find the site!
And I don't
think it's too late to apply, I believe you just have to pay and sort everything out at least two weeks before you arrive. The only thing would be if they still have places as it's very popular, but it's worth trying! And I thought I'd add that you have people from around 17-18 years old there but the majority of them are around 20, but age is not usually a problem in getting on with people :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest