Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

anybody who has picked Bangor university 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Shanvicbrad
The majority of the accommodation looks alright tbh
No i'm from Leicestershire but I love Wales:smile: Where are you from?

That's good haha!cheap and cheerful :smile: ohh really i have been on a night out near there. i'm from London:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by jaynemorton1
Well done :smile: have you put it as your insurance or firm choice? there is so much accommodation!!! i really cant be bothered to look through them all. have you been to Bangor before ?

I'm just waiting for another offer before I can firm them, I applied only about a week ago. Yeah I know there is so many! No I've never even been to Wales but heard a few nice stories about it!
Reply 22
ohh cool :smile: where else did you apply to?
Bangor is really pretty :smile: its probably one of the best places for your course, plus theirs loads of stuff to do.
Reply 23
I literally Only applied to Hull and Bangor and I've got all my offers back and just waiting on one, but that is for a course in Hull's Scarborough campus so maybe that's the cause of the wait? Yeah it does look really good for my course. How does it compare to a city like Sheffield where I'm from? :smile:
Reply 24
ohh cool Hull is supposed to be good as-well :smile:
yeah probably i think some unis just take a lot longer then others, i think one of mine took like
4 months to reply. well i'm from London so for me its kinda the same as Sheffield, well its a lot more green haha! its more of an outdoors place and water sports. The town seems OK and they have a few night clubs as well so i think you will either not like it it or love it i really like it though.
Reply 25
ohh cool Hull is supposed to be good as-well :smile:
yeah probably i think some unis just take a lot longer then others, i think one of mine took like
4 months to reply. well i'm from London so for me its kinda the same as Sheffield, well its a lot more green haha! its more of an outdoors place and water sports. The town seems OK and they have a few night clubs as well so i think you will either not like it it or love it i really like it though.

I had a job at Sheffield Waterski last summer and got into wakeboarding and bought an expensive wetsuit I've only worn twice! I hear they throw wakefest near there as well so I'll actually have a chance to use my suit!
Reply 26
I'm not too much off a drinker anyway. I like a good night out on the town but not as often as most students so I think I'll be fine. Going to miss the club Corporation though :frown:
Reply 27
it sounds perfect for you then :smile:! how long does it take you to get to Bangor?
Reply 28
I think it might be around ~3 hours in a car and ~4-5+ hours by train?
Reply 29
That's not to bad, are you taking a car to uni with you?
Reply 30
This might sound very strange, but my boyfriend is at Bangor Uni doing psychology so Ive been up there quite a lot and well, get to listen to all his moans! He loves it, but for any of you guys looking at accomodation make sure you spend a a lot of time looking into it. He didn't and is on Normal Site. He wishes so much that he had picked another hall site. Its a good 30 minted walk into town, and doesn't have the facilities or general niceness (Thats not really a word... :s-smilie:) of halls like Ffriddoedd, even though I believe they are slightly more expensive.
Reply 31
No I have'nt even had a driving lesson yet :s-smilie:! I think I'll be looking for some accommodation that's close to my lecture, from what I can tell the school of ocean sciences is across the suspension bridge!
Reply 32
Original post by Abi790
This might sound very strange, but my boyfriend is at Bangor Uni doing psychology so Ive been up there quite a lot and well, get to listen to all his moans! He loves it, but for any of you guys looking at accomodation make sure you spend a a lot of time looking into it. He didn't and is on Normal Site. He wishes so much that he had picked another hall site. Its a good 30 minted walk into town, and doesn't have the facilities or general niceness (Thats not really a word... :s-smilie:) of halls like Ffriddoedd, even though I believe they are slightly more expensive.

This is so helpful thank-you :smile: i will defiantly look into the accommodation now. what does he think of Bangor uni?
Reply 33
Original post by Dan_95
No I have'nt even had a driving lesson yet :s-smilie:! I think I'll be looking for some accommodation that's close to my lecture, from what I can tell the school of ocean sciences is across the suspension bridge!

i'm not going to bother taking a car anyway they cost way to much to run and park! oh thats true i have no idea where mine is nearest to :/
Reply 34
Original post by Abi790

Yeah, its quite a way out (and feels like it as well walking on that road as well) 15/20 minutes from Main Arts and like you say, probably half an hour from the high street and many of the bars and clubs. Plus, yes it is quite grotty in comparison with Ffridd site, you've got more people sharing kitchen/living facilities and some shared bathrooms iirc when I went there once. But of course, cheaper and I was told good socially as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Olie
Yeah, its quite a way out (and feels like it as well walking on that road as well) 15/20 minutes from Main Arts and like you say, probably half an hour from the high street and many of the bars and clubs. Plus, yes it is quite grotty in comparison with Ffridd site, you've got more people sharing kitchen/living facilities and some shared bathrooms iirc when I went there once. But of course, cheaper and I was told good socially as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would someone like me get to the other side of the straight then from a site that's closer to town? Are there regular buses and stuff or is it really not far?
Reply 36
The ocean science part is in Menai Bridge. Buses every 5 mins or so. Walking only takes about 20-30 mins to walk to the main building. Take a look on student pad and look up properties in Menai Bridge. To walk to Menai Bridge from the largest block of halls (sorry dont know the name, but they are the ones with the gym, Maes Glas, on the site) will only take about 20-30 mins, or like I said, buses run every 5-10 mins. (or bring a bike)

Parking is free around Bangor

I live in Bangor, so feel free to ask any questions
Reply 37
Original post by Dan_95
How would someone like me get to the other side of the straight then from a site that's closer to town? Are there regular buses and stuff or is it really not far?

I've honestly never heard of any of the Bangor students I know using a bus service, if there is a good one. Everyone I know walks, cycles or has a car. If your lectures are on the other side of the straights actually Normal site might be the closest as it is close to the Menai bridge. The sites close to town are further from the bridge; I suppose you would have to decide which you'd rather be close too.
Reply 38
Ah right thanks that's no problem then! Where would you personally recommend living then? What about gyms too are there any local ones fairly close as I'll be going 3-5 times a week?
Reply 39
This is so helpful thank-you :smile: i will defiantly look into the accommodation now. what does he think of Bangor uni?

No problem! He loves it, especially the societies and his course. He also likes to remind everyone it has the highest bar to student ratio of any student town apparently! haha! The only down sides are his halls, and being so far away from home can be difficult as Bangor is a long way off for lots of people! But the trains are very good and reasonably direct.

Quick Reply

Latest