The Student Room Group

Do I qualify for a MSc Genetics with a BSc Biology?

Does anyone know if a Bachelor´s Degree in Biology qualifies me for the Graduate Programme in Genetics?
Most universities just list an "Honours Degree in a relevant subject" as a requirement.
Just a few give examples like "Biochemistry, Genetics...

So maybe anyone knows more about this or has experiences.

Neralis
Reply 1
Original post by Neralis
Does anyone know if a Bachelor´s Degree in Biology qualifies me for the Graduate Programme in Genetics?
Most universities just list an "Honours Degree in a relevant subject" as a requirement.
Just a few give examples like "Biochemistry, Genetics...

So maybe anyone knows more about this or has experiences.

Neralis

I think you need to contact the university about it. Because they're so ambiguous about it, it means that they consider each applicant individually. I'd say that I'm 99.9% sure that biology would be a relevant subject, it might be subjects like anatomy (just an example, i think this is probably relevant too) that may need more clarification.
Reply 2
Original post by lica
I think you need to contact the university about it. Because they're so ambiguous about it, it means that they consider each applicant individually. I'd say that I'm 99.9% sure that biology would be a relevant subject, it might be subjects like anatomy (just an example, i think this is probably relevant too) that may need more clarification.

Well, the thing is that I don't have a degree yet. I'm about to start my with my Bachelor this year and I'm having a hard time on deciding which major would be the better one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Neralis
Well, the thing is that I don't have a degree yet. I'm about to start my with my Bachelor this year and I'm having a hard time on deciding which major would be the better one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, then I think biology would be a good choice. It'll give you a good foundation for a masters in genetics. Obviously, a genetics bachelors would be more beneficial but I think biology would give you a broader choice should you change your mind. As I said, they'll consider each MSc applicant individually but biology should almost definitely qualify you. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lica
Ah, then I think biology would be a good choice. It'll give you a good foundation for a masters in genetics. Obviously, a genetics bachelors would be more beneficial but I think biology would give you a broader choice should you change your mind. As I said, they'll consider each MSc applicant individually but biology should almost definitely qualify you. :smile:

Okay :smile: thank you a lot for your answer!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'd say you do you will probably cover a few genetics module in bsc biology, it would be much better if you chose something like molecular biology beforehand though.
Reply 6
Original post by henrylee
I'd say you do you will probably cover a few genetics module in bsc biology, it would be much better if you chose something like molecular biology beforehand though.

I think a BSc Genetics would even be a better choice. Although I wasn't quite sure about that since Biology is way more comprehensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending