The Student Room Group

I don't know what's wrong with me :( uni-polar depression? Bi-polar? Anxiety?

Hey everyone,

I've been really struggling from time-to-time during the past few months. Well, I have never felt 'normal' when comparing myself to others and their mental states anyway, but as of late it has been worse.

I go a week or so feeling really down, worthless, low self esteem, like there's no point in doing anything or going out (I haven't been out in about three weeks now). I also feel a lot more easily irritated being around people, like my family. I also noticed that it's a lot worse as the day progresses.

When I'm not feeling like this, I'm feeling super confident and a little more motivated than I usually would, but this doesn't tend to last long.

I've been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder in the past and I got CBT for it, but this didn't really work for me. My anxiety is sky high lately (it has been for months to be honest!), especially with exams coming up pretty soon. I suffer from really annoying palpitations daily, especially at night, which often keep me awake - apparently my heart is okay as I've had quite a few tests done to be on the safe side.

I don't know if this is related, it probably is, but I've been suffering from diagnosed insomnia for a few years too. About a year back I didn't sleep for three days straight, due to anxiety I think. It takes me a few hours every night - nothing seems to work for it. I didn't manage to sleep until about 7am this morning, so I only got a few hours sleep - I was on high alert all night - I just couldn't seem to switch off!

Basically, I don't know what to do. I know I should see a doctor - I think I will call them in the morning, but what do you guys think? :/ mental illness like bipolar and anxiety and unipolar depression do run in my family so there's a chance I could have 'inherited' something like this. I dunno.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think you're suffering from bipolar as your "up" episodes aren't as pronounced as mania associated with bipolar tends to be (although, obviously, I'm no doctor). Your depressive episodes and anxiety sound quite serious however. I'd say you should go see your doctor and explain everything you've said here to him - hell, you could even just print out your post. A doctor should be able to prescribe you medication for both anxiety (propranolol sounds like it might help) and depression (probably an SSRI) if that's the route you want to take. If you have any questions about medication or seeing the doctor or whatever, post back and I'll try to help :smile:

Good luck I hope you feel better soon.

Quick Reply

Latest