The Student Room Group

Would you care if your partner was a housewife or a house husband?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
I wouldn't have an issue with them having no career, I imagine that would be beneficial. And we could get a dog!!!

You really want a dog don't you.

"hmm... if we had children... we could get a dog!"
I don't really mind but I think it would be really boring once the kids start school.
Reply 22
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You really want a dog don't you.

"hmm... if we had children... we could get a dog!"

Yeah I kindof don't really want kids. So basically I want my partner to be a dog minder :P
I honestly don't mind, but I'd prefer it if he wasn't a house husband. No idea why though :tongue:

Although, guaranteed benefits to having a house husband though, but I'd just feel really bad about leaving him at home, looking after the house and kids, whilst I'm going to work and furthering my career. I think if he wanted to be a house husband and he didn't feel forced to be one (for example: if i wasn't home regularly), or he wasn't being lazy and not being able to get a job, I'd be fine with it.

I'd hate to be a housewife though, because I do have a dream job and I intend on getting that job :yep: but, the prospect of sitting at home, spending all your time with your family is a nice one, since my family means a lot to me!
(edited 10 years ago)
As someone who really doesn't want kids, wtf would he be doing all day as a househusband? No sorry, couldn't do it. Someone I was compatible with wouldn't want to sit at home all day and rely on me either tbf. Just like I couldn't sit around and rely on someone else.
Reply 25
I would mind. I can't be the only one working. Infact he needs to even earn more than me.
No, definitely not. I want to marry someone with goals and aspirations and someone who's academically able. I'd like to be with someone I could consider an equal and someone who want to/enjoys staying at home all day just wouldn't be that to me.
In the same way as living off the dole isn't considered something associated with respect, the same applies to bring a housewife/husband.
(Taking some time out of your career to support your kids is different however to choosing to never work and scrounge off a partner.)
Original post by Yemiisii
I would mind. I can't be the only one working. Infact he needs to even earn more than me.

Why does he need to earn more than you?
Reply 28
I would expect her to focus on the family and be a housewife, not frivolously waste her time in a career. The man's job is to provide adequately for the family so there won't be any need for her to earn money.

Once the children are in school I will keep her busy by employing her in my business empire on a part time basis.
Reply 29
Some people are the downside of all these given that 42% of marriages end in divorce in the UK. Wouldn't you regret dedicating say 10 years of your life to your partner and family when you have to split and find you haven't achieved much and haven't the confidence to be independent.
Unless there was children involved, no. I wouldn't be interested in a woman who isn't self sufficient tbh.
Reply 31
In a perfect world I'd much prefer to have both myself and my partner go part-time and take turns raising any children, rather than putting all of the responsibility onto one person.

However unfortunately that's pretty unrealistic, and would probably only end up scuppering both careers.

I wouldn't have any problem with a woman that wanted to stop working for a few years when the kids are young, and indeed it may make good financial sense, but I would hope that she'd want to work part-time once they had reached school age. I think dropping out of the world of work for too long makes it very hard to become employable again, should the situation need it.
It wouldn't appeal to me, but I don't want children so I'm basing it on a child-free existence of two working adults with lots of money and freedom. If I did have children, I think an ideal situation would be for one of us to go part-time at the most, or not work at all for the first couple of years of the child's life.

But not as a long-term thing, no.
I'd prefer if my partner was a housewife, to be honest (provided we have children). I'd want to be the one providing, although if they chose to work.. I wouldn't be against it.
Reply 34
Wasn't there an article on here about divorces happening because of househusbands not being manly or something, so the woman actually end up shooting herself in the foot when it came to the relationship?

I would like a housewife but I'd never be a househusband.
Ew, no thanks. No kids for me, just two driven people with plenty of disposable income and holidays :h:
Reply 36
I would like her to be more than a kitchen carer
Some sort of passion or aspiration, ambition/independence but still enough time to come home and enjoy lifes pleasures :sexface:
Reply 37
Yes because I want to be a house husband. She'll need to earn the money.
Reply 38
No I wouldn't like it. I want my future wife to be interesting, energetic, have fun, be able to support herself, etc etc. I'd be happy if she was a housewife for a few years, but permanently... No thanks.
Reply 39
Very unlikely that I'd be willing to be with a housewife.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending