The Student Room Group

Top GCSE grades for only top pupils - what do you think?

The biggest announcement of the day so far is the planned grading system for the new GCSEs. (Have a look here: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26854297).

Scrapping the A*-E system, grades will now be ranked by numbers - with 9 being the highest grade, and 1 being the lowest. For the first time, the English system will be in line with the international systems.

But, the top grade (A*/9) will now only be available to a precious few - 20,000 students! This has never happened before in England!

What do you think about these measures? Is it fair that only a few students will be able to get the top grade? Will the new GCSEs be better or worse than the current GCSEs?

Want to hear your thoughts!

Sloppy J. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sloppy Jumpers
Is it fair that only a few students will be able to get the top grade?

Of course it's fair, in the same was as it's fair that not everyone was (supposedly) able to get an A* or A at GCSE. If everyone were able then it would lose its value straight away. People don't want to be told that they or their children are not going to get the top grade, but not everyone can be in the 95th percentile - that's the point of it.

Personally I think the new GCSE system is going to cause more problems than it solves and I think we'd have been better off adopting a GPA system so it's a more continuous scale, but I see absolutely no problem in giving the best grades to the best students and helping them stand out. It can be hard to stay motivated when constantly surrounded by a group of people who don't recognise the value of the education they're receiving and would rather not be there.
I don't think limiting the top grade my number is ever going to work, especially with the appeal culture in schools. If pupils find they're 1 mark off getting a 9, they'll appeal, but if there's a limit to how many people can get a 9, then surely the entire system goes wrong.

But, the top grade (A*/9) will now only be available to a precious few - 20,000 students! This has never happened before in England!

With respect this isn't true.

What they are proposing is this (the quotations are from the official consultation document)

...a criterion-referenced approach...
In light of these shortcomings, we do not propose that new GCSEs should be awarded using grade descriptions and examiner judgement only.

In view of this range of shortcomings we do not propose that new GCSEs should be awarded using a norm-referenced approach.

We propose that in 2017, when the standard of the new GCSEs will first be set, awarding should use statistical predictions, much as now. The predictions will show the proportion of students who would have been expected to be awarded at least a grade C, had they taken the current GCSE. We propose that these predictions should be used to determine the proportion of students who are awarded at least a grade 4. The predictions will be derived from the cohort’s performance in their Key Stage 2 tests relative to the performance of previous cohort’s, as now.

Once the standard has been set in the first year, we propose to maintain the standard by strengthening the current approach to awarding. We propose that this approach will allow us to identify changes in a cohort’s performance that should then be reflected in the grades awarded.

In future years, we envisage statistical information will continue to be important at awarding, because the evidence is that it is otherwise difficult to be confident that standards are being maintained. However, exam boards will be able to use information from the national reference test too.

Once the standard has been set in the first year, we propose to maintain the standard by strengthening the current approach to awarding. We propose that this approach will allow us to identify changes in a cohort’s performance that should then be reflected in the grades awarded.

In future years, we envisage statistical information will continue to be important at awarding, because the evidence is that it is otherwise difficult to be confident that standards are being maintained. However, exam boards will be able to use information from the national reference test too.

In other words, how many people get the top grades will not be fixed (norm referencing), nor will it depend on how well they do in their GCSEs (criteria referencing) but rather it will be due to (a) how well that year overall did in their year 6 KS2 SATS and (b) how some selected group of year 11 kids did in some English and maths tests.

The way to improve your chances at GCSE is not to go to a good school, study hard and perhaps have your parents pay for extra tuition.

The way to do well is to persuade independent school heads (for whom KS2 SATS are optional) to rig your year's SATS results more than they rigged last year's SATS results. The key to getting more top GCSE results is to get more kids to get better grades in SATS, but whilst state schools have to enter all kids private schools can skew the entrants by only entering the brightest and best. If nationally your year does better than the previous year, their GCSE results will go up.

Moreover, it would be worthwhile for parents to club together to pay for revision classes for any children selected to do the national reference test. If the kids who do the national reference test get better results than last year's test kids, your child will get better GCSE results, than if the kids who do the national reference test get worse results. It doesn't matter how bright or dim the national reference kids are, their results are vital to ensure than GCSE results go up.

It is barking mad.

There was nothing wrong with the old O level method of assessment which was norm referenced but with two modifiers.

Firstly, not all subjects had the same quality of entrants so the norms were modified by the relative performance of the cohort in other subjects compared to the relative performance of other cohorts' other subjects. In other words, those doing O level Latin tended to do better at maths, English, physics and history than those doing O level needlework. Therefore it wasn't enough to be in the top 10% of needlework students to get an A. It might be that the top 11% of Latin students got an A and only the top 9% of needlework students got an A and that was fixed by referencing how well those top percentages did in their other subjects.

Secondly, the quality of years did vary, which is what Ofqual is getting at by its crazy scheme. But that is something which examination boards should be able to manually correct for, not rely on 5 year old distortable test results. After all, they have the raw marks of previous years exam results. They know what papers are hard and which are easy. If it is a bright year, you widen the top class boundaries a bit. If it is a dim year, you do the opposite but the amount of movement is tiny relative to the numbers sitting exams.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by andrew2209
I don't think limiting the top grade my number is ever going to work, especially with the appeal culture in schools. If pupils find they're 1 mark off getting a 9, they'll appeal, but if there's a limit to how many people can get a 9, then surely the entire system goes wrong.

andrew2209, that's really interesting. So you think students will be appealing for a 9, when they have an 8, and have their appeal accepted?

Do you think that this new system will lead to more pressure? Or in house competitiveness?

Original post by nulli tertius
With respect this isn't true.

The way to do well is to persuade independent school heads (for whom KS2 SATS are optional) to rig your year's SATS results more than they rigged last year's SATS results. The key to getting more top GCSE results is to get more kids to get better grades in SATS, but whilst state schools have to enter all kids private schools can skew the entrants by only entering the brightest and best. If nationally your year does better than the previous year, their GCSE results will go up.

And wow, nulli tertius, that's a bundle of info. So SATS were rigged - do you have any newspaper articles on this? I haven't heard about this before. And surely, no good system should lead to rigging.

Sloppy J.
Reply 5
I din't really understand how it will work given the numbers of people that must surely get exactly the same mark...
Original post by redferry
I din't really understand how it will work given the numbers of people that must surely get exactly the same mark...

Look at Nulli Tertius' post - it will not be a fixed 20,000 grade 9s. Instead 20,000 is the approximate predicted number of pupils who will achieve it.

Also, I liked the top comment on the BBC article when I read it yesterday: "look at my new grade system. It goes up to 11." :tongue:

While a GPA-like system would be ideal, I can only see this as a generally good thing for identifying the best pupils. However, I worry that some universities may place more emphasis on people getting this grade 9. And realistically a cut-off of 95% is stupidly high for any grade. There's a reason most universities have the top grade at 70%. Having a grade with such a high threshold means that getting the grade can be as much about not making easy mistakes than it is about being knowledgeable.
Reply 7
Original post by PythianLegume
Look at Nulli Tertius' post - it will not be a fixed 20,000 grade 9s. Instead 20,000 is the approximate predicted number of pupils who will achieve it.

Also, I liked the top comment on the BBC article when I read it yesterday: "look at my new grade system. It goes up to 11." :tongue:

While a GPA-like system would be ideal, I can only see this as a generally good thing for identifying the best pupils. However, I worry that some universities may place more emphasis on people getting this grade 9. And realistically a cut-off of 95% is stupidly high for any grade. There's a reason most universities have the top grade at 70%. Having a grade with such a high threshold means that getting the grade can be as much about not making easy mistakes than it is about being knowledgeable.

where would the distinction lie between 8 and 7?

I'd be worried it would end up like the university system where a high 2:1 is much harder to obtain than a low 2:1 yet there is no distinction between them (fell foul of this myself!)
Original post by redferry
where would the distinction lie between 8 and 7?

I'd be worried it would end up like the university system where a high 2:1 is much harder to obtain than a low 2:1 yet there is no distinction between them (fell foul of this myself!)

Well if 4 is the new C-grade cut off, it would suggest that grades C,B,A,A* will be replaced by 4,5,6,7,8,9 - 4 grades become 6, giving more distinction.
Reply 9
Well if 4 is the new C-grade cut off, it would suggest that grades C,B,A,A* will be replaced by 4,5,6,7,8,9 - 4 grades become 6, giving more distinction.

Well then I actually quite like this idea, being someone that always just managed to miss top marks :P
andrew2209, that's really interesting. So you think students will be appealing for a 9, when they have an 8, and have their appeal accepted?

Do you think that this new system will lead to more pressure? Or in house competitiveness?

I wouldn't be surprised if people appealed if they're one mark off, especially in subjects such as English, where it can be hard to accurately mark something. Also, if these "9" grades become sacred, then it would put pressure on schools to get as many as they want, to boost their "league table" position.

To be honest, I just think GCSE exams are becoming more about learning a syllabus than actually understanding the subject at times.
Reply 11

While I agree a 90% or 95% cut of is ridiculously high grade boundary, where you could easily lose 5% from easy mistakes, surely if the exams can be made harder then the "top 20,000" would still get a grade 9 even if the highest mark was 89%?

Either way, I think making it harder to get the top grade on exam papers, whether they're easy or not, is certainly a good thing in this day and age. Universities offering A*,A*,A (and the number of people achieving that) just shows how much the threshold needs to be moved. Exams grade aren't supposed to be "fair". Those who've spent more time revising and paying attention should be rewarded. What's the point of saying "Oh nobody should be allowed to fail"?
Original post by Pilot359
While I agree a 90% or 95% cut of is ridiculously high grade boundary, where you could easily lose 5% from easy mistakes, surely if the exams can be made harder then the "top 20,000" would still get a grade 9 even if the highest mark was 89%?

Either way, I think making it harder to get the top grade on exam papers, whether they're easy or not, is certainly a good thing in this day and age. Universities offering A*,A*,A (and the number of people achieving that) just shows how much the threshold needs to be moved. Exams grade aren't supposed to be "fair". Those who've spent more time revising and paying attention should be rewarded. What's the point of saying "Oh nobody should be allowed to fail"?

It's possible that the exams could be made harder to push the grade boundaries down, but I think it unlikely we'll see that happening, although I'd certainly support it.
I'm just upset that as one of the few people here who has O levels from the previous time these things were numbered 1 - 9, my qualifications now look pretty bad. 1 used to be the top and 9 the bottom, so it looks like I failed pretty much everything!:frown:
Original post by Pilot359

which course wants A*A*A*?
I think that this really disadvantages students who struggle (and not cos of laziness - I've worked with pupils who have special needs and this is the kind of population I'm referring to). I know there are alternative qualifications out there, but employers generally look for the GCSEs, and it's possible that the current government may decide to scrap these sorts of qualifications with their more traditional view of schooling
Original post by wartortle

He only said A*A*A. This is the standard for all science courses at Cambridge now, and has been known to be given out by Imperial for various courses, Manchester for Physics, and probably a few others. 3A*s does happen occasionally for these same courses.
Reply 17

Oxbridge and Imperial maths to begin with, but others too

He stated A*A*A. Quite a few including maths at some Cambridge colleges, Engineering at Imperial etc.

Some Maths courses want A*A*A, and some of Imperial's Engineering courses want that, as well as a few Physics courses. Cambridge are introducing A*A*A offers for Science subjects.

Edit: I've been beaten to the post...

Hm, the top 3% is roughly what Oxbridge want so I'm sure they'll love it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending