The Student Room Group

Are Ryanair really as bad as people say to fly with?

Scroll to see replies

No, I flew with them last week for £19.98 return. Birmingham - Dublin.
I was allowed 2 bags and a 10kg suitcase but they didn't even weigh them so could have easily taken more.
They were perfectly on time and had allocated seats.
They're fine, they just have a bad reputation because they're cheap
Reply 61
Original post by + polarity -
They're fine, just don't expect anything more than a seat without having to pay extra. :mmm:

They seem to end up at their destination earlier than planned too, are they speeding or something?

Not sure if someone's answered this yet or not :colondollar: but they pad out their timetables so they can say "98% of our flights arrives either on time or early last year" or something/not get fined for being late. :colonhash:
Reply 62
Original post by Grant2007
Just back today. Use the green hop on hop off bus...a visit to the gaol is a must. It gives a good short history of Ireland and the place is interesting. The Guinness visit was excellent. Jamiesons distillery tour was good too...just volunteer! Lovely tapas restaurant in temple bar!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Temple Bar is a must. If you go round the pubs round 8/9, they have proper Irish folk bands. Also check out Phoenix Park, it's lovely. And right next to the Gaol is a pretty nice Modern Arts museum. The spire of Dublin is also worth seeing.

There's a Leprechaun museum too, check that out - they have an adults night show which is pretty great. You can also head out just a little bit out of Dublin and you can visit Powescourt waterfall just near the Wicklow mountains.

And obvs, the Guniess Storehouse, you get the best view from the Skybar there. Dublin castle is also quite a cool place to visit and make sure you visit Queen of Tarts, they have some of the best cakes in the world.

Other than that, I'd say that ditch the bus and walk. Everywhere is pretty much within walking distance and also, it's a pretty great place to walk a round in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by RosyBee
Temple Bar is a must. If you go round the pubs round 8/9, they have proper Irish folk bands. Also check out Phoenix Park, it's lovely. And right next to the Gaol is a pretty nice Modern Arts museum. The spire of Dublin is also worth seeing.

There's a Leprechaun museum too, check that out - they have an adults night show which is pretty great. You can also head out just a little bit out of Dublin and you can visit Powescourt waterfall just near the Wicklow mountains.

And obvs, the Guniess Storehouse, you get the best view from the Skybar there. Dublin castle is also quite a cool place to visit and make sure you visit Queen of Tarts, they have some of the best cakes in the world.

Other than that, I'd say that ditch the bus and walk. Everywhere is pretty much within walking distance and also, it's a pretty great place to walk a round in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the recommendations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
I may be flying with them next month (not definite yet though) so that'll at least let me know what they are like for when I fly with them in June. Other than their inside colour scheme, they dont sound too bad as long as you print out your boarding pass and make sure your bags aren't over sized.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They do the job, you pay for what you get I guess, but i've never had any problems with them.
Reply 66
Went with them other week to spain, not too bad but wouldn't go with them any longer than spain, as it was a bit cramped and no thing in the seat infront of you to put stuff in/no TV's.

Also was luckily enough not too have anyone sat behind me, flight to spain we were sat at the back, on way back too england, seats behind us weren't taken, win win.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
Yeah you can't complain when their fares are so cheap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ryanair are targeted, like any product whether it be within the aviation industry or not, at a certain market. The Ryanair user that will come away happy is the one that knows it's cheap, maybe not cheerful, does the job and that's about it. You've got to know how to play them, because otherwise they pile charges on top of you, so very little baggage ect as other contributors have mentioned. But the main thing is that if you want a quick, cheap and basic flight that will get you to where you want on time (hopefully) and in one piece, they're fine.

It's the people that expect BA style service that will be disappointed. It's not a luxury airline so it's not going to be first class customer experience. Think more along the lines of transporting cattle.
Reply 69
Original post by jameswooton
Think more along the lines of transporting cattle.

I'm sorry, this just made me laugh, but if we're going to be accurate it's more like transporting drunk chav's in a flying cattle cage. You would not believe just the sheer amount of people who will try and get drunk on a 40 minute flight!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You do need to read the conditions carefully as you go through the booking process though - print your boarding pass, check your bag weight and dimensions, arrive on time, check in on time, and you won't face any hidden charges.

During the flight they will try to sell you things almost non-stop, buy nothing a good pair of earphones doesn't solve.

They are known for carrying the absolute minimum fuel required, but this has only caused them an issue once in 2012 I believe.

And as said, they will land on time because they overestimate the flight time so they can say they're on time.

Frankly the biggest issues I have with them are their failure to recognise any trade unions for any of their staff, they force some pilots to register companies in Ireland to avoid tax, and their previously sexist advertising. Another example of a company not valuing employees and doing everything it can to avoid tax.
Went to Rome with Ryanair last week from Manchester and while the flight was fine, Ryanair like to use pathetic secondary airports for several of their destinations. Rome Ciampino doesn't have great transport links and the terminal building is tiny and has hardly any seats, and the airports they use for Paris and Barcelona are miles and miles away from the actual cities (even further out than Tokyo Narita)
Reply 72
Thanks for your comments and views everyone. 7 weeks today til I fly with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Starting to get a bit nervous about flying now tbh. Not because of who I'm flying with. Just because I'm not used to flying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yasmin25
Starting to get a bit nervous about flying now tbh. Not because of who I'm flying with. Just because I'm not used to flying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chew sweets/gum during take off and landing, move your feet every so often (more for long-haul flights, but it never hurts to just tap your feet every couple of minutes or so on shorter ones), and take something to read on the plane because after you get over your nervousness it becomes pretty clear that flying is actually really boring.
I flew to Sweden with them, they're fine. They're incredibly strict when it comes to luggage, I had to squeeze the **** out of my bag to fit another in there as I wasn't aloud to have as many as I did. Took me about 5 minutes, had to sit on it, genuinely thought they wouldn't let me in but it finally fit. During the flight they will try to sell you things like crazy, didnt really bother me though :tongue:
Reply 76

Posted from TSR Mobile

One of the best things about flying is the window seats - if you're flying on a good day you'll be able to see so much!

What is it that makes you nervous? You seem very well organised so it should all be fine - the only things you really need are your passport and boarding pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by VSEPR
One of the best things about flying is the window seats - if you're flying on a good day you'll be able to see so much!

What is it that makes you nervous? You seem very well organised so it should all be fine - the only things you really need are your passport and boarding pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suffer from panic attacks so pretty much everything makes me nervous haha.
Yeah I have a reminder set on my phone to check in online and print out my passes a week before the flight. No way do I wanna pay the extra cost if I forget to do that! Lol

Oh and yeah I reserved myself a window seat. When I flew to and from Iceland last year and looked out the window, it felt too surreal to make me nervous if that makes sense? It was like looking at a painting or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry if this sounds silly but I'm not used to flying in general let alone with this airline.

I have been emailed my internary and reminded to check in online nearer my flight and print out my boarding passes. I will get the boarding passes when I check in won't I? As in the option to download them so I can print them will come up when I check in online?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I flew with Ryanair like 8 times and going this July again :gah: Once, you check-in, you can print off your tickets or save them as .pdf and print as well. I do save them as .pdf format on my laptop, in case I lose the ticket :mmm:

Ryanair is not bad at all and there's not much choice for me because only Ryanair and Wizzair flies to my home country :mmm: Just be careful with cabin baggage and make sure it meets their measurement requirements, otherwise they will charge you :tongue: Never had problems myself nor ever had to put my bag into that cage when they measure if your bag fits in :colone:

If you have motion sickness, don't ever sit on engine part :tongue: I made a mistake by sitting on engine by evacuation exit on my 1st flight to UK and ended up feeling very sick and throwing up on the street in London :teehee:

Also, since it is Ryanair, expect not much room for legs :tongue: Also, they do offer stuff like lottery tickets, cigarettes etc but I just put my earphones in and ignore them.

How long will your flight be? :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by ForgetMe
I flew with Ryanair like 8 times and going this July again :gah: Once, you check-in, you can print off your tickets or save them as .pdf and print as well. I do save them as .pdf format on my laptop, in case I lose the ticket :mmm:

Ryanair is not bad at all and there's not much choice for me because only Ryanair and Wizzair flies to my home country :mmm: Just be careful with cabin baggage and make sure it meets their measurement requirements, otherwise they will charge you :tongue: Never had problems myself nor ever had to put my bag into that cage when they measure if your bag fits in :colone:

If you have motion sickness, don't ever sit on engine part :tongue: I made a mistake by sitting on engine by evacuation exit on my 1st flight to UK and ended up feeling very sick and throwing up on the street in London :teehee:

Also, since it is Ryanair, expect not much room for legs :tongue: Also, they do offer stuff like lottery tickets, cigarettes etc but I just put my earphones in and ignore them.

How long will your flight be? :tongue:

Thanks for your informative post :tongue:
Is your home country Poland by any chance? Because Wizzair and Ryanair fly from my local airport and those airlines pretty much just fly to about 6 places in Poland from that airport and maybe one or two locations in other countries lol. I didn't know travel from Scotland to Poland was so popular until I checked where my local airport flew to :tongue:

My flight will be about 40-50 mins so not too long thankfully :smile: once I get off the plane, I've gotta catch a bus to Dublin city centre which will take an hour and then catch a two and a half hour train journey to Limerick. Fun stuff! I leave 5 wks today :smile:

I'm sitting near the engine I think! Too late to change seats probably so lets just hope the travel sickness tablets kick in!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest