The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

University of Westminster room deposit

Apparently if applicants get offered a room at Student Court @ Wembley, they will have to make an initial rent payment of at least 6-8 weeks before moving in. This is more than £1,000 before we even move in!
Plus a possible £250-£500 security deposit!

Will anyone else be struggling with this or have any advice on what to do in case anyone cannot meet the financial requirements to pay the massive sum?

I have a job currently and I will need to save over £300 a month just to get £1500 (the '6-8 weeks rent BEFORE moving in' requirement) by September.

My main question: Is the 6/8 week initial rent payment a very early rent payment (when we're not even there) or is it a deposit that gets refunded?

I was hoping to use my savings to..live on at Uni, but I won't be able to if it's simply a rent payment? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Student court at Wembley is my first choice and I had no idea about this, where did you see this?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
http://www.westminster.ac.uk/study/prospective-students/student-accommodation/applying-for-halls/accepting-our-halls-offer - read the "paying your rent" section. I emailed the student accommodation team and I was told that it was to cover the rent of the first 2 months that we will be living there until we receive out student finance :s-smilie: However, it still means we need to have £1,500 of OUR own cash before we even move in :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Robin Jameson
http://www.westminster.ac.uk/study/prospective-students/student-accommodation/applying-for-halls/accepting-our-halls-offer - read the "paying your rent" section. I emailed the student accommodation team and I was told that it was to cover the rent of the first 2 months that we will be living there until we receive out student finance :s-smilie: However, it still means we need to have £1,500 of OUR own cash before we even move in :s-smilie:

What if we can't pay though? Is it a cost that will be refunded by our student loan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The way my brother explained it to me is:
we pay the £1,500 of our own money up front to cover the 8 weeks rent, but at the start of term, we'll be getting student finance through which would otherwise be used to pay the rent if we weren't paying it, so I think we would essentially get our money back via the rent money we won't be spending from Student finance
Reply 5
The way my brother explained it to me is:
we pay the £1,500 of our own money up front to cover the 8 weeks rent, but at the start of term, we'll be getting student finance through which would otherwise be used to pay the rent if we weren't paying it, so I think we would essentially get our money back via the rent money we won't be spending from Student finance

What if we can't afford that though? I know some unis charge about £200 but I don't have £1,500 saved for Uni, even if I did I wouldn't want to spend all my savings on my room, I think I'll email them about that one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I replied back to their email asking 1) why students staying at other halls don't have to pay 8 weeks in advance and only wembley students do and 2) if there is an instalment system to pay in place :3 i'll let you know when they reply :P
Reply 7
I replied back to their email asking 1) why students staying at other halls don't have to pay 8 weeks in advance and only wembley students do and 2) if there is an instalment system to pay in place :3 i'll let you know when they reply :P

That's exactly what I'd have asked them anyway, so yeah just let me know what they say :smile:

I can't believe they'd ask for £1,500 off everyone! I really hope that's not the case anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Ayye I will, I kind of agree with their reasoning about needing rent, but not when no other students will be paying it :L
Reply 9
There's no way I can afford that either, let me know what they reply with! What are you both planning to study at Westminster?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by laurenjj
There's no way I can afford that either, let me know what they reply with! What are you both planning to study at Westminster?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing politics, I think Robin is too!
That's exactly what I thought, there's so many flats at student court though, why aren't there more people worrying about it?! It's not like it's a few hundred £
I emailed Westminster last night, they said I could try emailing StudentApt (the private company who owns student court) and ask if I could pay them less up front

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dear Robin
1) Why don't those applying to stay at other Halls (such as Harrow, etc) have to pay 8 weeks rent in advance to moving in, while only Wembley Court students do? Students at Harrow Halls will be expected to pay 16 weeks rent in September 2014 after they have moved into halls. Student Court at Wembley is owned and managed by Apt Student Living who collect the rents for the hall and set the rent due dates.
2) Is there any form of rent payment instalment system available to those who can pay the 8 weeks rent, but not in one lump sum? Unfortunately, students are expected to pay at least 8 weeks rent before they move into Student Court. You can contact Student Court directly to enquire whether they can accept less than 8 weeks rent before you receive your student loan. They may ask you to provide proof of your student loan payment dates before agreeing any reductions looks like every Westminster student is going to get financially shafted before term even starts :')
Reply 12
Dear Robin
1) Why don't those applying to stay at other Halls (such as Harrow, etc) have to pay 8 weeks rent in advance to moving in, while only Wembley Court students do? Students at Harrow Halls will be expected to pay 16 weeks rent in September 2014 after they have moved into halls. Student Court at Wembley is owned and managed by Apt Student Living who collect the rents for the hall and set the rent due dates.
2) Is there any form of rent payment instalment system available to those who can pay the 8 weeks rent, but not in one lump sum? Unfortunately, students are expected to pay at least 8 weeks rent before they move into Student Court. You can contact Student Court directly to enquire whether they can accept less than 8 weeks rent before you receive your student loan. They may ask you to provide proof of your student loan payment dates before agreeing any reductions looks like every Westminster student is going to get financially shafted before term even starts :')

I really wouldn't mind if it was made clearer earlier on! I'm sure 99% of student court applicants are still unaware of this, it's like it's in the tiny fine print of the Westminster website! I'm gonna email Student Court and get my case sorted

Thanks for emailing them though, at least we'll have it sorted before most people realise they have to pay around June/July

edit: okay i've emailed them now explaining my situation, i'll let you know how they handle it and if I find out any more information about the payments
(edited 10 years ago)
What I don't understand is why the Westminster website says you pay your first rent instalment 'at least 8 weeks before moving in' yet underneath it in the Apt Student Living payment dates and amounts for 2014 it says the first payment is made on the 05/09/2014 as shown on the attachment...
They really need to sort this out considering it's where most first years will be planning on living!
I really feel for those people who'll get an email asking when they'll be paying their 8 weeks rent when it's just hitting June/July :s-smilie:
I hope Apt Student has some sort of instalment system in place, would certainly make it easier :biggrin:
Who knew it would be this stressful before we even get a room offer :')
I really feel for those people who'll get an email asking when they'll be paying their 8 weeks rent when it's just hitting June/July :s-smilie:
I hope Apt Student has some sort of instalment system in place, would certainly make it easier :biggrin:
Who knew it would be this stressful before we even get a room offer :')

I know right, I'm pretty lucky and my family is able to front the initial payment whenever it does get thrown at us but I really feel for those who don't have the ability to do so 😕 surely people have had this issue in the past?
Update: went on the Apt Student living website and sent them an enquiry notice:
"I have applied to rent a room at Student Court @ Wembley beginning from September 2014. On the University of Westminster's website, it is said that successful applicants will have to pay Apt Student Living at least 8 weeks rent in advance, until our student finance comes through (entirely understandable).However, this 8 week in advance rent is a significant sum (1 weeks rent at £166 X 8 weeks = £1,328). I, along with some other concerned applicants are wondering if there is any payment instalment system available, where we can pay the 8 weeks rent off over time, or only pay 4/6 weeks rent instead?
Thank you, Robin." lets hope they understand the dilemma they have presented to first years :s-smilie:
Original post by elmward1996
I know right, I'm pretty lucky and my family is able to front the initial payment whenever it does get thrown at us but I really feel for those who don't have the ability to do so ������ surely people have had this issue in the past?

You're certainly a lucky one, I'm lucky enough to be in full time work, so I can save up that money before I go, but I was hoping to use it to live on while in London :')
I hope Westminster/Apt Student make this hidden, yet massive fee more apparent next time :s-smilie:
You're certainly a lucky one, I'm lucky enough to be in full time work, so I can save up that money before I go, but I was hoping to use it to live on while in London :')
I hope Westminster/Apt Student make this hidden, yet massive fee more apparent next time :s-smilie:

I've just scrolled down the threads from over the past couple of years and there has been no mention of this issue, it's clearly remained well hidden so far so will probably remain that way!

And I can imagine, but at least when you get your student finance paid to you you'll get some of it back presumably?
Original post by elmward1996
I've just scrolled down the threads from over the past couple of years and there has been no mention of this issue, it's clearly remained well hidden so far so will probably remain that way!

And I can imagine, but at least when you get your student finance paid to you you'll get some of it back presumably?

That's exactly what I'm thinking: we pay the money ourselves upfront, but we essentially get it back from student finance via the money we would have used to pay the rent IF we hadn't have paid it ourselves. Kind of like a refund :biggrin:
So there is the silver lining, it's just how are people going to get £1,500 in 5/6 months :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending