The Student Room Group

Breast lump aged 23 - don't feel like doctors are taking me seriously?

Hi everyone,
i found a lump in my breast yesterday morning and immediately did my best to see a doctor. My GP surgery was unavailable (Wednesday is a half day so apts are usually full) so I went to my local urgent care centre and asked to see a GP.

After a two hour wait I didn't actually get to see a GP, but instead saw the nurse who was lovely but didn't seem to do much. She told me it's 'definitely not an infection of any kind' and to see my GP to get a scan. Felt as though this was a bit unfair as I'd come to a centre of GPs who could have seen me easily enough but was instead told to book with my own when I can.

Anyway, I went to my GP this morning and again waited until a slot was free to see her. She checked my breast and asserted that she could 'definitely feel a pea-sized lump' but when I asked her what the next step was she told me we had to 'watch and wait' to see if it grows or the pain becomes more intense over the next few weeks before I can have a scan.

I've done a fair bit of reading around the subject since I came home and it seems that this is how the majority of late diagnoses in younger women come about and why more serious cancer cases in young women is on the up. Apparently cancers in younger women, whilst a lot more rare than ladies who are older, also tend to be a lot more aggressive and grow more rapidly, meaning that a window of several weeks is often crucial to prognoses.

sorry for the essay everyone but I'm really concerned and generally feel like I'm being overlooked - does anybody know of anything I can do to speed up this process?

I'm thinking of registering with a new surgery but I'm concerned that they'll just do the same. :frown:

I have exams coming up in a few weeks too and there's no way I'm going to be able to revise/concentrate knowing that the lump in my boobs is being ignored.
Reply 1
Get a second opinion if you want. It could be something like a cyst.
Reply 2
I know it could be/hopefully is nothing serious but I can't help worrying that it's something more, in which case isn't time one of the most important things? :frown: I just feel as though everything in the media at the moment says you must check your breasts and contact a doctor ASAP, not 'check your breasts and wait a month'. :frown:

How should I go about a second opinion? Would a different surgery be able register and see me fairly quickly if I switch?

Thank you.
Reply 3
Original post by Spira
How should I go about a second opinion? Would a different surgery be able register and see me fairly quickly if I switch?

Couldn't you just see a second doctor at your surgery first? I dunno how long it'd take to switch, but I can't imagine it'd be that long.
I hope everything is well, have you had any luck seeing another doctor?

In the mean time, I know it's scary but it is very unlikely to be anything (I'm going through a similar thing), so try and stay positive and focus on the important thing.

Quick Reply

Latest