The Student Room Group

Turn down fantastic job offer?

Posting this on behalf of a friend but I'll try to give as many specifics as possible.

He graduated from university with a degree in Maths & Stats in 2013.
Been unemployed since then.
He lives in Coventry.
Been offered a great job in Bradford.
Brilliant salary package and very successful and large company.

I originally thought it was a no brainer, take it.

Here's the thing:
He doesn't want to move all the way to Bradford, having now visited there.
The role that has been offered is relevant to his degree but not exactly what he wants to do.

So does he take it because it's a brilliant opportunity? Or turn it down and risk not having anything?

In your opinion, what is more important? Starting off on a great career? Or being happy where you're living? Being on the RIGHT career path from the get go?

On paper, I think he should go for it because it would be silly to turn down. Having spoken to him properly, it seems to be making him miserable.
Reply 1
If the alternative is unemployment, then I suggest they take the job and use the experience to find something at their preferred location at a later date.
Reply 2
For me I would rather be happy, that seems like no-brainer. If he wants to take the job because other people think it's a great job what sort of existence is that? Living for other peoples expectations.
However i expect it is more complex than that and is slightly contingent on what his other options are.
Why on earth would anyone want to move to Bradford? Hardly an end of the rainbow opportunity.
Hmmm I've been to Bradford -_- how did he end up being offered a job there? Seeing as he's against going there...Was it one of those situations where the company decides on where to place employees?

Anyway personally I wouldn't go if I didn't like the area. I couldn't bare to be unhappy and living somewhere I didn't like.
Reply 5
I suppose it does seem like a no-brainer, but my first job after graduation was in London, doing something I wasn't particularly interested in. I took it because it was the only offer I'd had, but I ended up being miserable because I hated living in London. Luckily, I was able to get a better job fairly quickly, but the experience didn't benefit me in any way.

However, this sounds like a better opportunity than my first job. Even if he doesn't think he's going to like living there, it may be worth trying it and looking for something else if he really hates it.
Reply 6
If he's been unemployed for nearly a year (assuming he graduated at June), he should prioritize his long-term career prospects over his happiness in the short-term. Let's assess the situation assuming he doesn't have similar offer elsewhere:

Entry level jobs in a good company, with good pay, and relevant to degree are not that easy to come by these days. If he doesn't get a similar/better job in the future, he'll regret it. Bare in mind that it'll be increasingly difficult to get a decent job the longer he is out of employment since employers will doubt him more and more. In this scenario, if he doesn't take the job, the worst that could happen is your friend will carry a 'what if' question and regret it for life. On the other hand, if he takes the job, move to Bradford, and really hates it; the worst that could happen is he sticks it out for 1-2 years, develop a good solid experience, and move on. As such, it's a no-brainer decision because the worst outcome of the two is sadness/regret for eternity vs. living in a place I don't like for a few years, but it's ok because I've gathered some really good experience.

EDIT: If he doesn't like the nature of the job you said, then it changes everything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Georgie_M
For me I would rather be happy, that seems like no-brainer. If he wants to take the job because other people think it's a great job what sort of existence is that? Living for other peoples expectations.
However i expect it is more complex than that and is slightly contingent on what his other options are.

I think he wants to go into accountancy/finance. The role he's been offered is in Analytics. I personally know how hard it is to get into accountancy when you don't land a training contract once you graduate. I'm actually working in something non-accountancy related even though i want to be in accountancy. I guess he doesn't want to be like me ha!

Original post by nase14_aldayz
Why on earth would anyone want to move to Bradford? Hardly an end of the rainbow opportunity.

Original post by phunky_fresh
Hmmm I've been to Bradford -_- how did he end up being offered a job there? Seeing as he's against going there...Was it one of those situations where the company decides on where to place employees?

Anyway personally I wouldn't go if I didn't like the area. I couldn't bare to be unhappy and living somewhere I didn't like.

The head office sits between Leeds and Bradford, so I'm not sure if it's in Bradford or just near it. But he'd never been before hence why he applied happily. Having seen the place, he's not keen. I can't offer him advice on location as I haven't been up north.

Original post by Philbert
I suppose it does seem like a no-brainer, but my first job after graduation was in London, doing something I wasn't particularly interested in. I took it because it was the only offer I'd had, but I ended up being miserable because I hated living in London. Luckily, I was able to get a better job fairly quickly, but the experience didn't benefit me in any way.

However, this sounds like a better opportunity than my first job. Even if he doesn't think he's going to like living there, it may be worth trying it and looking for something else if he really hates it.

I think his concern is that he wants to stay around Coventry/Birmingham. If he's going all the way to Bradford, it's probably not going to be easy to then uproot his life to move all the way back, not to mention all the interview travelling he'll have to do.

Also a big thank you to everyone who has replied so far.
Reply 8
He got a maths and stats degree, he find something better easily. Would you live in Bradford? :ninja:

All maths & stats graduates I know from uni have brilliant jobs related to their degree, paying 27k+.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fastswift
He got a maths and stats degree, he find something better easily. Would you live in Bradford? :ninja:

All maths & stats graduates I know from uni have brilliant jobs related to their degree, paying 27k+.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the issue is the lack of jobs as he's been unemployed since he graduated. On paper, he should grab this as it's the first thing he's been offered.

Personally I wouldn't live in Bradford but it can't be that bad, can it? Close to Leeds and other major cities . . . . .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending