It's astonishing how people can still think Biology is a science... :rolleyes:

It is because it clearly is. :rolleyes:
Original post by Solivagant
Does the truth hurt? :tongue:

Yeah, it does :frown: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I am not coming from a GCSE/alevel perspective boy.:mad: You aren't encouraged to think about these things in high school.

Maths is a philosophical language/thought process and underpins logic. I will try and explain in a lazy way of what I am thinking.

Science is about testing models, if these models allow us to make predictions correctly then the model is said to have some kind of truth behind it. Yet it is still not considered to be fundamentally true. You can only confirm wrongness in science. That is science.

Now maths says 1 + 1 = 2. Can we scientifically test this? One can proove it in the mathematical sense but can you actually "test" it. If you were to treat it as a scientific question then one would assume that that we can never know for sure whether 1 + 1 =2. Do you bleieve 1 + 1 = 2? Is it a matter of belief? It could all be wrong and can not be scientifically tested. Therefore it is not a science. Maths is the basis of logic with which we describe nature in science.

There are different philosophical theories of what maths means that deal with questions like... Do numbers exist? Do they only exits on our minds? etc. But this is not science. I'm not discrediting maths in anyway, it underpins everything.

I still think it can be both even though most of your logic here is spot on, I view it as both a science and its own art as well,

I don't think you can rule it out as ''not a science'' though since clearly many mathematical ideas form the basis of science and testing models. For example you are able to test models ''equations'' that help you make predictions when you are given conditions. The mathematical model may not be perfect and may need to be refined, it isn't an absolute truth but it is what we know based on the information we have collected/found. Mathematical equations are experimented with everyday, refined and changed to make them more able to make solid predictions. I will admit pure mathematics and proof via abstract concepts is far less science orientated than the main sciences but there are lots of parts of mathematics which can make it a science.

Take a regression line, a mathematical idea within statistics - you will not always have a perfect line or a line that satisfies every single uncertainty/estimation error possible, the idea is highly mathematical yet it is just a model based off statistics given
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Changing Skies

Well at least History is a proper subject :console:
Reply 64
Original post by Ilovemaths96
Physics of course!
Biology is not even a science

Agreed :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A friend of mine is studying biology and had an isa recently. They had to calculate the spine density of leaves, I was holding back the laughter, thinking what an absolute waste of time!
Well at least History is a proper subject :console:

Hey, it actually is :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like them all, they all have cool aspects and not-so-cool ones. But chemistry's my favourite.
Hey, it actually is :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's no chemistry, but it's okay :tongue:
Original post by Ilovemaths96
A friend of mine is studying biology and had an isa recently. They had to calculate the spine density of leaves, I was holding back the laughter, thinking what an absolute waste of time!

As opposed to timing the oscillations of a bouncing spring? :rolleyes:
Sociology
Maths, followed closely by physics.
It's no chemistry, but it's okay :tongue:

Oh I know, it's far better :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In one of my physics isa in high school we filled a tray full of water and lifted it up slightly then dropped it. We then timed the complete oscillation of the water waves that resulted.

Those biologists with their leaves don't look so stupid now huh.
Oh I know, it's far better :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hear the people who do chemistry are much more handsome and charming though... :wink:
My favourite is biology just because it is really interesting seeing how your own body works :P
Reply 76
It's a pointless question. If you're referring to 'best science' in terms of GCSE/A-Level then the answer is easily chemistry. If you're just asking it as a general question then it's pointless. Once you get to undergraduate level and beyond the sciences don't massively stick within the confines of what chemistry, biology and physics are like at GCSE and A-Level. You'll have some chemists studying options which you'd think were the options of physicsts (because, well, some are) and likewise you'll have some applied mathematicians studying options which sound more like physics options (because, there's a crossover). I don't consider maths a science, but then again I pretty much entirely do pure options so it'd be disturbing if I did, but if you choose certain combinations of applied options it becomes very difficult justifying why that mathematician isn't a scientist, when a theoretical physicsts is.
Reply 77
Reply 78
I don't really see how this is a debate. They're all incredibly important.
My personal favorites are psychology and biology though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
In my humble opinion i would say Biology because its about how we are made and it does involved hard formulas and it explains how life was made.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending