The Student Room Group

period/pregnancy, confused!

Hi, I've been a bit worried recently that I could be pregnant, even though it seems very very unlikely. Friday before last I hooked up with someone and we didn't have full sex but his penis rubbed against the outside of my vagina and I am concerned that there's a possible pre-cum entering me issue? I'm not sure whether I've got my period calculations wrong but it is supposed to be starting tomorrow and I've have none of my usual symptoms yet.

Could I be pregnant????

Scroll to see replies

Unlikely but do a test if you're more than a few days late. Just to put your mind at ease :smile:.

I've just been in a similar situation.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Unlikely but do a test if you're more than a few days late. Just to put your mind at ease :smile:.

I've just been in a similar situation.

okay thanks :smile: I know it's unlikely but I am freaking out, should I mention this to the guy at all or wait until I'm a bit later??
okay thanks :smile: I know it's unlikely but I am freaking out, should I mention this to the guy at all or wait until I'm a bit later??

Don't mention it to the guy until you know for deffo. You don't want to get him panicked over nothing.
Reply 4
Original post by MovesLikeAgger
Don't mention it to the guy until you know for deffo. You don't want to get him panicked over nothing.

I think I'll wait until it's more than a few days as he's someone I know well and hopefully won't freak out too much until I actually take a test..
Reply 5
The chance of getting pregnant without ejaculation is 4% over an entire year of daily sex. The chance of getting pregnant because of precum where there wasn't even any penetration involved is lower than a UFO landing on the White House lawn tonight.

PS: you're not pregnant.
Reply 6
Hi, I've been a bit worried recently that I could be pregnant, even though it seems very very unlikely. Friday before last I hooked up with someone and we didn't have full sex but his penis rubbed against the outside of my vagina and I am concerned that there's a possible pre-cum entering me issue? I'm not sure whether I've got my period calculations wrong but it is supposed to be starting tomorrow and I've have none of my usual symptoms yet.

Could I be pregnant????

Very very unlikely, you worrying about it could be delaying your period.
Reply 7
Extremely unlikely, as the poster above me said its possible that worrying is delaying it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
There isn't sperm in pre-cum, it's just the rest of the stuff that makes up semen. Pre-cum is there to make the passage for the sperm the right PH so that the sperm will be able to live when it is produced. You'd only have a chance of being pregnant from pre-cum if he recently ejaculated in which case the remnants would mix with his pre-cum but it'd still be a very low chance. When a guy ejaculates, the rest of the sperm is washed away when he next takes a pee, and there isn't any more sperm in the semen until his next ejaculation.

If you consider that contraception doesn't give 100% protection from pregnancy, the likelihood of you being pregnant is probably as likely as it would be if you had sex with contraception. I think you're fine.
Reply 9
Original post by Orthonym
There isn't sperm in pre-cum, it's just the rest of the stuff that makes up semen. Pre-cum is there to make the passage for the sperm the right PH so that the sperm will be able to live when it is produced. You'd only have a chance of being pregnant from pre-cum if he recently ejaculated in which case the remnants would mix with his pre-cum but it'd still be a very low chance. When a guy ejaculates, the rest of the sperm is washed away when he next takes a pee, and there isn't any more sperm in the semen until his next ejaculation.

If you consider that contraception doesn't give 100% protection from pregnancy, the likelihood of you being pregnant is probably as likely as it would be if you had sex with contraception. I think you're fine.

Thankyou, I did not know that! Less worried now :smile:
It is exceedingly unlikely that you are pregnant. EVEN IF there were sperm in his precum (due to recent ejaculation, as outlined above) is would be pretty much impossible for it to find its way from the outside of your vagina to the opening, all the way along inside and into your cervix. Sperm need to be propelled most of the way there, from a position which is already very much inside you.

You're not pregnant.

:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Musie Suzie
It is exceedingly unlikely that you are pregnant. EVEN IF there were sperm in his precum (due to recent ejaculation, as outlined above) is would be pretty much impossible for it to find its way from the outside of your vagina to the opening, all the way along inside and into your cervix. Sperm need to be propelled most of the way there, from a position which is already very much inside you.

You're not pregnant.

thankyou for the reassurance! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Musie Suzie

You're not pregnant.

thankyou for the reassurance! :smile:
Theoretically you could be, but it's highly unlikely. I was in a situation like this with a girl, we worried like crazy for a few weeks and it all turned out fine. Once sperm gets into direct contact with the outside world, it tends to be pretty useless at fertilising eggs, so the chances of the minuscule quantity of sperm that could potentially have been in the precum getting you pregnant are not high enough to worry about. There are about a billion and one different things that could make your period late, and worrying a lot and stressing yourself is one of them. Obviously I'm not a girl so I don't really understand it all, but my girlfriend at the time gave me a bit of an idea. :L Do a test to be sure, but you should be fine! :smile:
Unlikely but still possible. I would do a test in a few weeks just to put your mind at rest.
Reply 15

are you sure about it? I remember my teacher told us that we can get pregnant even if the guy does not cum. She said the precum liquid is suppleid with spermazoids (not really sure if its the correct word in English but I guess you know what I mean) and since then I alwasy freak out I may be pregnant even if the boy doesnt cum inside me (we use condoms anyway but I dont really trust them).
So yeah, I am not neglecting you but just want to know if youa re sure about that :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Divv
are you sure about it? I remember my teacher told us that we can get pregnant even if the guy does not cum. She said the precum liquid is suppleid with spermazoids (not really sure if its the correct word in English but I guess you know what I mean) and since then I alwasy freak out I may be pregnant even if the boy doesnt cum inside me (we use condoms anyway but I dont really trust them).
So yeah, I am not neglecting you but just want to know if youa re sure about that :wink:

Apprently withdrawal method is meant to be nearly as effective as condoms when its used correctly (saying that I wouldnt rely on it myself). The reason why they tell teenagers pre cum contains sperm is to put them off using withdrawal method as it can go wrong very easily, especially if someone is sexually inexperienced.

http://m.plannedparenthood.org/mt/www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/withdrawal-pull-out-method-4218.htm

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
I know it is a stressful time for you but don't worry. I know a lot of women whom have the problem after having sex; it's an issue the causes arguments, disagreements and a massive amount of stress. This website provides all you need to know to help you get through it :smile: http://tinyurl.com/olvlzd
Reply 18
Original post by Divv

It's not 100% certain, it's debated in science.

Lots of people on the internet say it all comes from the testes, and so therefore sperm is in pre-cum. However, the testes is the place where sperm is made, and other things in the semen are made in slightly different locations such as the seminal vesicle, because the cells in the actual testes themselves are not able to produce the rest of the semen. Research into anatomy suggests that sperm is not secreted into the seminal vesicle to be produced in pre-cum, but that only can happen during the muscle reactions during ejaculation (search the world health organisation lab manual for the examination of human sperm and sperm-cervical mucus interaction if you want a resource, it's a mahusive e-book). But there have not been any decent published experiments done where they take pre-cum from loads of men and decide for sure.

So I'm not 100% sure about it but I'm pretty sure you're not pregnant. I would never rely on pulling out anyway though just because the natural reaction for both participants is for it to stay in!
Reply 19
It's not 100% certain, it's debated in science.

Lots of people on the internet say it all comes from the testes, and so therefore sperm is in pre-cum. However, the testes is the place where sperm is made, and other things in the semen are made in slightly different locations such as the seminal vesicle, because the cells in the actual testes themselves are not able to produce the rest of the semen. Research into anatomy suggests that sperm is not secreted into the seminal vesicle to be produced in pre-cum, but that only can happen during the muscle reactions during ejaculation (search the world health organisation lab manual for the examination of human sperm and sperm-cervical mucus interaction if you want a resource, it's a mahusive e-book). But there have not been any decent published experiments done where they take pre-cum from loads of men and decide for sure.

So I'm not 100% sure about it but I'm pretty sure you're not pregnant. I would never rely on pulling out anyway though just because the natural reaction for both participants is for it to stay in!

I'm quite surprised that there hasn't been enough research into this so we can have a definitive answer. How hard (no pun) could that be? It's 96% effective over an entire year of regular sex and I've read many stories of couples that have used it for years without any issues.

I can think of 2 reasons:

1. They don't want to encourage people since it will obv result in many doing it wrong plus by not using condoms you're exposed to STD's.

2. Big pharma, it would cut into their profits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending