The Student Room Group

why do people drive big 4x4 SUVs in the city?

seriously , I don't get it

I understand if you lived in the country

show off that you can afford a range?
or other reasons?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've had several SUVs.

Previously in Singapore had a Volvo XC90 and an Audi Q7. Then had another XC90 in Norway which was sold off recently and still have a Land Rover Discovery IV which is in UK.

Primarily bought them for its ability to seat 7. I don't particularly like the seating and driving position of most 7 seater MPVs and generally don't like vehicles where the instrument panel is located in the centre of the dashboard which seems to be the case with loads of MPVs for some reason or another.

Also use them for work as I carry a lot of equipment and up manuals as well as printed plans with me so a SUV makes it easier.

Nothing about showing off, it is cheaper to buy an Audi Q7 or the XC90 in Singapore than it is to buy an A6 or S80.

Not much to show off with a Land Rover in UK, just about everyone has one where I live in UK and pretty sure 90% of them don't ever see anything remotely offroad beyond an unpaved carpark at the usual pub.
They're generally better equipped, and thought to be more comfortable and luxurious etc etc
Also since the last two winters have seen (a modicum of) snow, everyone's turning to 4x4s

Original post by Alfissti

Nothing about showing off, it is cheaper to buy an Audi Q7 or the XC90 in Singapore than it is to buy an A6 or S80.

Why's this? I know the A6 and S80 are seen as 'premium cars' and stuff, but fail to see why they'd outprice a Q7!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
So they can squish your tiny car when they crash into you.
Reply 4
I drive a 4x4 because it's my money to spend how I like. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JC.
I drive a 4x4 because it's my money to spend how I like. :smile:

that wasn't the point of the thread lol

I personally don't get it

hence enlighten me, what am I missing out on ?
Reply 6
Original post by jusdorange

Well, I've bought one because I can tow 3.5 tons with it if I need to.
I can put a lot of stuff in it when I need to - I actually moved house in it.
On the motorway it's as comfortable as a Jag but with better visibility.
I can still get home when it snows.

It's not a speed machine, but I've got other stuff to do that in. It's a fantastic workhorse and the particular engine it's fitted with is good for 300k. Given that it's only got 76k on the clock now it'll probably last another 15 years if I look after it as it'll be corrosion that kills it rather than mechanical trouble.
Reply 7

Why drive a small two wheel drive car? What are we missing out on that you like so much about them?
Reply 8
Original post by Rump Steak
Also since the last two winters have seen (a modicum of) snow, everyone's turning to 4x4s

Original post by JC.
I can still get home when it snows.

While I have nothing against anybody picking whatever car they want for whatever purpose they want, these comments always amuse me and arouse my interest.

Do you really believe that in order to drive in snow and/or ice that you have to have a 4x4? Are you saying that 'ordinary' cars are incapable of driving in such conditions? I've lived and worked in extremely snowy conditions all over the world (far snowier than anything we see in the UK by a long way) and in 99% of the world they get by perfectly well without resorting to 4x4s (the one notable exception being the US and Canada).
So I'm just curious why this is used as an argument for them, when the reality is they make very little difference to how one is able to get about.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
While I have nothing against anybody picking whatever car they want for whatever purpose they want, these comments always amuse me and arouse my interest.

Do you really believe that in order to drive in snow and/or ice that you have to have a 4x4? Are you saying that 'ordinary' cars are incapable of driving in such conditions? I've lived and worked in extremely snowy conditions all over the world (far snowier than anything we see in the UK by a long way) and in 99% of the world they get by perfectly well without resorting to 4x4s (the one notable exception being the US and Canada).
So I'm just curious why this is used as an argument for them, when the reality is they make very little difference to how one is able to get about.

Yeah i've been to the swiss alps a lot and even in 8 feet of compacted snow and ice in the mountain roads they still use FWD hatchbacks etc and manage just fine.
Reply 10
Original post by james1211
Yeah i've been to the swiss alps a lot and even in 8 feet of compacted snow and ice in the mountain roads they still use FWD hatchbacks etc and manage just fine.

It's the ridiculously tiny, boxy city cars that the Japanese use that got me. Tires less than 6 inches wide, basically no power yet being driven in foot deep fresh snow without any issues whatsoever in a place that gets close to 20 metres of snow every year.

Spoiler

Reply 11
Why drive a small two wheel drive car? What are we missing out on that you like so much about them?

Main reasons

1. Better seating position (I don't like being up high like I'm driving a van)

I got m sport suspension on my car so is 10mm lower

2. I don't have to watch out for width restrictions (issue in inner London where I live) or gingerly drive by wondering if I'll make it unscraped

3. Fuel economy

4. Fun to kick the arse out in country roads

I wasn't berating people who own them. I just didn't understand their motivation
Original post by Drewski

There was meant to be a hint of sarcasm in that, sorry you didn't pick up on it :wink:
I agree with you, I don't think they're necessary in the UK, provided you've got winter tyres - no one buys winter tyres though so they buy 4x4s!

Personally though I love 4 wheel drive, it's not a must, but always a big plus for me, even if it's a saloon, it just feels more planted :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
seriously , I don't get it

I understand if you lived in the country

show off that you can afford a range?
or other reasons?

because they have money to burn and don't give a crap about the environment or other drivers.
Reply 14
Original post by redferry
because they have money to burn and don't give a crap about the environment or other drivers.

What does the environment have to do with the OPs question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Because I'm self conscious about the size of my manhood.
Nah, I'm kidding-I don't drive. This is also something that baffles me!
Reply 16
What does the environment have to do with the OPs question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

4x4 have very high emissions, if you care about the environment you wouldn't have one.
Reply 17
4x4 have very high emissions, if you care about the environment you wouldn't have one.

Trash talk. Owning a 4x4 versus owning a small hatchback does virtually no difference to the environmental damage you do. Countless studies have been done on this.

If you cared about the environment, changes that make the largest effect are not owning a pet (huge amounts of CO2 released in the manufacture of pet food), not eating red meat (Methane release from cows - ten times as potent as a global warming agent than CO2), cycling instead of using any car at all, growing vegetables in their own garden or allotment, dying (no carbon or particulate matter release from someone who isn't alive).

People who own a small car instead of an SUV are token middle class environmentalists who don't know anything of the garbage they're spouting.
Reply 18
Trash talk. Owning a 4x4 versus owning a small hatchback does virtually no difference to the environmental damage you do. Countless studies have been done on this.

If you cared about the environment, changes that make the largest effect are not owning a pet (huge amounts of CO2 released in the manufacture of pet food), not eating red meat (Methane release from cows - ten times as potent as a global warming agent than CO2), cycling instead of using any car at all, growing vegetables in their own garden or allotment, dying (no carbon or particulate matter release from someone who isn't alive).

People who own a small car instead of an SUV are token middle class environmentalists who don't know anything of the garbage they're spouting.

Except that I don't eat red meat, own any pets, and only use the car when it is an absolute necessity (ie for my consultancy work and when I have to move a lot of stuff/people)

I also choose my car based on sustainability.

Also for your info the myth about pets creating as much emissions as a 4x4 has been debunked.

Oh and I start a PhD on the Environement at UCL in September.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Except that I don't eat red meat, own any pets, and only use the car when it is an absolute necessity (ie for my consultancy work and when I have to move a lot of stuff/people)

I also choose my car based on sustainability.

Also for your info the myth about pets creating as much emissions as a 4x4 has been debunked.

Oh and I start a PhD on the Environement at UCL in September.

And that's great - but it doesn't bear relevance to my point. Having a go at all 4x4 drivers because it isn't enviromentally consious is nuts. Lots may be doing other more impacting changes to their lifestyle that you cannot possibly provide statistics for and owning a 4x4 is one of the lesser impacts that we have a society.

You mention sustainability - there is no reason why a 4x4 would be less sustainable than a hatchback. How old is your car? There was a great story from Seasick Steve on Top Gear, he reckons his 50 year old pickup truck is more sustainable than any modern car that's been replaced once a decade because there's far less waste.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending