The Student Room Group

Cameron ignores pollution crisis

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Fullofsurprises
vehicle miles are rising, not falling

All the more reason why the alternatives won't work. Increasing the taxes on them will only hit those lower down the foodchain and there is no current viable alternative, the technology simply doesn't exist yet.

So what do you do? Sacrifice thousands of jobs for negligible benefit (aside from the one or two days a year when there is a bit of smog)?
The difficulty is the type of particulates given off by diesel engines. These are not being regulated enough and have risen overall as diesel engine takeup has accelerated. In addition, vehicle miles are rising, not falling, so even if engines are much less polluting and more efficient, the overall output of particulates remains very high. London regularly breaks the guidelines for particulate levels.

Well done for doing some research. Oxford street for example is has more pollution since only buses are allowed down it.

Things however are improving year on year. Even with diesels. I remember the average dieSel engine engine belching out blue smoke as normal. Not anymore.

However your attempt to turn this onto the current government is way off the mark. Why don't you point the finger at the EU?
Reply 62
Levels yesterday in parts of the country were actually as high as those typically recorded in Beijing.

Mainly due to dust from the Sahara?
Reply 63
Original post by james1211
A mask costs a few pence. Saving the environment costs a few billion quid.

worth it though isn't it? it would be devastating to ruin our only planet, government either needs to get on emission reduction or terraforming mars :tongue: i can guess which one of those is cheaper
Original post by Idle
Mainly due to dust from the Sahara?

There's been a lot of news updates this evening coming from experts who are attributing most of it to vehicle emissions from northern Europe with only a minor element attributable to Saharan dust. Cameron's claim earlier that it was all to do with the Sahara and freak weather was a deception and I suspect a deliberate one.
Seriously? What a jessie.

Yup: http://www.itv.com/news/london/update/2014-04-03/pm-cancels-morning-run-due-to-very-high-pollution/

'I chose to do some work' - shame he doesn't take on that attitude everyday!
Reply 66
if its europe wide we cant really solve it.
Reply 67
There's been a lot of news updates this evening coming from experts who are attributing most of it to vehicle emissions from northern Europe with only a minor element attributable to Saharan dust. Cameron's claim earlier that it was all to do with the Sahara and freak weather was a deception and I suspect a deliberate one.

Or maybe it was due to the fact that he'd been briefed by weather experts who, in reality, are anything but. You ever seen a weather forecast in this country? No 'expert' really knows what's going on, it's all best guess.

Your problem is you just don't like him. He could be stood in front of you with a £5 note in his hand saying "this is a £5 note" and you'd be convinced he was lying.
Right everybody, the fact that things are worse in China does not mean things are fine here. This does highlight the issue, but in fact around 13,000 people die each year due to air pollution (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es2040416).

Those of you complaining that doing anything will be bad for the economy seem to be ignoring the impact which not doing anything may have; we all have to pay to sort out the problems due to increase NHS costs, decreased worker productivity, etc. Obviously we do have to weigh this up against the positive effects, but to suggest we don't even consider it is ridiculous.
Original post by The Socktor
Right everybody, the fact that things are worse in China does not mean things are fine here. This does highlight the issue, but in fact around 13,000 people die each year due to air pollution (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es2040416).

Those of you complaining that doing anything will be bad for the economy seem to be ignoring the impact which not doing anything may have; we all have to pay to sort out the problems due to increase NHS costs, decreased worker productivity, etc. Obviously we do have to weigh this up against the positive effects, but to suggest we don't even consider it is ridiculous.

Well if a couple of smogs here and there are crisis enough to warrant drastic action, simply disperse the population away from London, and make combustion engines illegal, and force all industry/power generation to utilise carbon capture technologies.

As the population of London booms and the country wastes it's time on mickey-mouse 'green' policies this is just going to be an increasing reality (for the south-east). We either invest more in healthcare or in diversifying public transport as well as making real policy and legislation to advancing electric cars (be in R&D, perks for electric vehicles and increasing restrictions/tax burdens upon combustion engines).

However previous governments have mismanaged the NHS, the current is out-right at war on it, and is woefully inept at city planning and practical infrastructure projects.

Likewise electric cars are still not overcoming the practicality and efficiency of combustion cars. Likewise vehicles like trains, trucks and other heavy machinery still get more bang for their buck from stuff like diesel.

Londoners/the few other large UK city residents (lets face it it's their problem) are going to have to decide though whether they want to put up with the cost and upheaval realistic solutions as mentioned will require. It's no secret London alone is poorly laid out when modern public transport/traffic flow concepts are concerned.
Unfortunately - and this has been my thinking for a long time, people aren't willing to make the sacrifices needed to alleviate climate change. They will do so once it's too late or something disastrous happens. It's a problem that will not affect this generation, but an unknown one that hasn't been born yet.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by FrostyLemon
Unfortunately - and this has been my thinking for a long time, people aren't willing to make the sacrifices needed to alleviate climate change. They will do so once it's too late or something disastrous happens.

Most people don't care, myself included. If I have to make major sacrifices I'm not interested. Smart changes where there's little personal or financial impact I do partake in like recycling and turning lights off, cycling when it's dry instead of getting the bus etc. but some of the proposals made by the OP are insane.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Pollution crisis over today :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by Jones Ardent
“If you believe the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while you count your money.”

This x a bajillion
Air pollution reached 9/10 across large areas of Britain today and even 10 in some. The highest level and dangerous to human health.

The main cause is that stable air has allowed vehicle exhaust pollution, mainly from diesel engines from all over Europe, to gather. Saharan dust has been added, but the main cause is Europe-wide diesel exhaust emission.

This morning Cameron brushed it aside as 'a natural weather phenomenon'. :lol: He is saying this because he does not want politically to take on the driving lobby. Yet we must.

This is also strong evidence for why we need Europe-wide institutions. The EU have laid down strong anti-pollution initiatives - the UK is repeatedly breaching them.

The story from China and other badly polluted areas shows that this problem is not going to go away and is likely to worsen over time. The number of polluted days will increase and the intensity will increase.

Thank goodness it is going to be relieved tomorrow by fresh winds, but we need more from our politicians that EU-bashing or refusing to lead because this or that lobby says stick your heads in the sand and do nothing.

I was in Berlin a few weeks ago, but I live in France. When I was away, most of France were given free transport in the cities so the cars giving off fumes would not be on the roads. London, Newcastle, Liverpool and Glasgow would do well to encourage this with their metro services, whereas the likes of Manchester, Leeds and Nottingham can still ease things by increasing tram frequency so people ditch their cars.
Original post by lucas13
if its europe wide we cant really solve it.

That is why we have institutions like the EU who can and do set targets on these things, which the UK fails to meet.

Original post by FrostyLemon
Unfortunately - and this has been my thinking for a long time, people aren't willing to make the sacrifices needed to alleviate climate change. They will do so once it's too late or something disastrous happens. It's a problem that will not affect this generation, but an unknown one that hasn't been born yet.

Agree with this, people have consistently failed to take climate change seriously. It's not like climate change is new, or even particularly controversial at this point but as we saw this winter people are willing to completely dismiss green policies for a vast £50 off their energy bill.

Most people don't care, myself included. If I have to make major sacrifices I'm not interested. Smart changes where there's little personal or financial impact I do partake in like recycling and turning lights off, cycling when it's dry instead of getting the bus etc. but some of the proposals made by the OP are insane.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are going to have to make a sacrifice for climate change at some point. It's not like we can ignore it now and hope it goes away, it will only get worse. Like I already said, people in general are far too obsessed with the short term gain rather than living in balance with the natural environment.

If we make these changes now then we ensure our continued prosperity beyond the next 30 or 40 years then we simply NEED to do this right NOW.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MASTER265
The two largest economies in the world (USA and China) are equally the largest global polluters in the world. It is mostly linked to their economic growth and so of course Cameron, being a Tory will favour the economic needs rather than the social and environmental needs. It's why I hate him but also like him. It's a fact that we have to get in our heads, if we want a growing and strong economy on the world stage we got to forget the damage done in the process.

I originally thought like you and was very opposed to the pollution increase over the last century but have come to accept there is no point giving a crap and I should just take advantage of a decent economy and make money out of it.

Do you really think we can live in a perfect world that suits our economic needs while also protecting out environmental needs? It doesn't make sense, it's one or the other

What's money for if you cannot possibly live healthily?

You're saying this as if you don't need to breathe.
While it may be a depressing perspective of things, I can certainly say I am much happier now. I focus on having fun and living as we only live once. We have to be honest with ourselves, with the growing world population, a continual move to a western type world( each person takes up masses of space and uses lots of energy) and majority focus on economic growth, there is no hope for the environment. We will keep building, using energy and growing until we starve our recourses then move to another planet ( lol I'm sure it will happen). That's what humans did initially, they expanded their populations until we reach a point most of the world is populated like now. We will eventually destroy the earth, it's inevitable and I'd love to say I disagree but I'm not living with false hope. Just live life to the fullest I say instead of fighting for an impossible future

Living life to the fullest =/= living irresponsibly, polluting as much as you could

You have a very twisted view on what life could be.
On the contrary I believe the environment is very important compared to the economy, it's just my personal opinion means nothing. We live in a world where money will always be the greatest desire for people and too few actually place the environmental conditions above their wallet. The people at the top of politics, business and significant organisations either disregard any proof for climate change, admit it exists but only give bullsh*t on the matter or give a small commitment to the cause which amounts to nothing and is purely to avoid carbon fines and meet regulatory policies. It's a joke and you can fight it but by judging the statistics it's had minimal effect. This is why I choose to not burden myself with the task of giving a crap

So we should just all give up together and go for the worst scenario possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well exactly why would you? You can consume and the consequences will be dealt with by your grandchildren and you'll probably be dead. I would say that is the biggest challenge for climate change presently. Certainly as the people who have the power to influence change have a similar mindset.

I just hope this generation doesn't take the environment over tipping point and our grandchildren will be a bit wiser and pick up the pieces.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending