The Student Room Group

Advice

Okay, so in my GCSEs I was predicted all As and a B in maths. I will not get that many As, not being modest or anything I was a tad lazy.

So, I picked my GCSEs based on what I like (English lit, biology, psychology and maths) with the hope of becoming an Educational/child psychologist.

However, more and more im thinking of changing maths for history simply because higher level maths has gone over my head, well, modules are fine but the big tests just don’t go to well. It seems I have a very short term mathematical memory. Any advice on what Maths As level is like?

Also, I think I am closing off another option. Law. I would love also to study law. What would your advice be? Are my GCSEs okay (mainly Bs probably) if I get decent A levels, well all As to get a decent law place?
Firstly, I'll hazard a guess that you meant you picked English lit, Biology, Psychology and Maths for A level.

If you're really not all that confident about Maths, I'd choose History..Because that'll widen your options. It'd develop your analytical skills-useful for psychology as well as law..And you've already got Biology as a 'contrasting subject'. But there aren't any specific subjects you need to get into a law course.

I'm in the same year as you so I can't really give much advice about ASs and uni, but I hope this helps anyway. Of course, it's all up to you.
Reply 2
XxJaninexX
Okay, so in my GCSEs I was predicted all As and a B in maths. I will not get that many As, not being modest or anything I was a tad lazy.

So, I picked my GCSEs based on what I like (English lit, biology, psychology and maths) with the hope of becoming an Educational/child psychologist.

However, more and more im thinking of changing maths for history simply because higher level maths has gone over my head, well, modules are fine but the big tests just don’t go to well. It seems I have a very short term mathematical memory. Any advice on what Maths As level is like?

Also, I think I am closing off another option. Law. I would love also to study law. What would your advice be? Are my GCSEs okay (mainly Bs probably) if I get decent A levels, well all As to get a decent law place?

It really depends on what you want to do, in the end. What has your performance been like in GCSE History? Did you enjoy it? Do you feel you are good at it? I think that Maths is more of a talent subject (to an extent) - if you have the genuine aptitude for it, you'd sail through it; whereas if you're not, it is more difficult. You might struggle a bit if you got a B in GCSE Maths, although I can't really say, seeing as I'm the same year as you too. But Maths is one of those things that if you keep working at it steadily, it will definitely pay off. My sister went up from a C to a A at AS, just after two resists, because she actually studied for it.

As for law, there are no official requirements, although I think having numerical skills is an advantage in any profession. Your subjects should be fine - one arts, two sciences and maths - although if you did pick History, it would be helpful to law too because it aids analytical thinking and essay writing etc. It seems that an awful lot of law applicants have History A level. And your GCSEs should be fine, if you did get As and Bs. You'd probably have to get mostly As at A level though, because law offers are usually AAA. Still, don't write yourself off just yet - a lot of people apparently do a lot better than they had expected at GCSE, so you won't know for sure until Aug 24th :smile: (which is getting uncomfortably closer every day...)
Maths GCSE is learning. Maths AS is learning. Maths A2 is understanding. :smile: Trust me, been through all three... and maths A2 was by far the hardest and also most rewarding of the three.
Reply 4
generalebriety
Maths GCSE is learning. Maths AS is learning. Maths A2 is understanding Trust me, been through all three... and maths A2 was by far the hardest and also most rewarding of the three.

I am not sure I would stick my neck out that far.
Lusus Naturae
I am not sure I would stick my neck out that far.

Really? I don't understand the binomial expansion and I can trot it off like anyone in my class. But if I hadn't understood C3 trig the exam would have finished me off. It's not all understanding, there is still a lot of learning. But C2 and below are all learning. :p:
As Excalibur said, it really comes down to enjoyment of the subjects. If you find maths difficult but enjoy it a lot, you may actually do better in it than if you chose history just for the sake of it and don't enjoy it as much. I think psychology and biology would be fine for a career as a psychologist and English lit would be enough for a career in law because although you don't need specific subjects, it's helpful to have an essay subject. If you decide to go for law, you'll need straight As at A-level, so another thing you need to think about is whether you'd be able to get an A in maths if you worked really hard at it. It may be difficult with a B at GCSE, but I'm sure it's not impossible. Wait until you get your results though because you might surprise yourself.
Reply 7
Janine, there is no reason why you cannot do well at AS Maths. If you work hard and put the effort in through the year then you should be able to get an A.

Nietzsche reminded us to be aware that all the great artists have gone through a large amount of training, Raphael was a good artist but not always the master that comes through in his later works, produced only after he spent many years studying others and refining his technique.

Do not become disillusioned by people who tell you that Maths requires a natural 'spark', it is true that there are varying degrees of natural ability but everybody must put some work in to achieve a goal. AS Maths is structured in such a way that it rewards those who work constantly throughout the year, you do not require any creative flair or flashes of magic in order to answer the questions. The material in the course is very clear, you should know exactly what to do for every question on the paper if you had put the practice in.

If you do decide to take it then feel free to ask any questions you have over on the Maths board, we do not bite!

generalebriety
Really? I don't understand the binomial expansion and I can trot it off like anyone in my class. But if I hadn't understood C3 trig the exam would have finished me off. It's not all understanding, there is still a lot of learning. But C2 and below are all learning

I feel that it depends on how you would define 'understanding'. C3 Trig does not require any deep insight into trigonometry and can mostly be covered by methods but you do have to 'understand' the sinusoidal functions - to some extent - and therefore in that sense you do require some understanding; however I do not think that is 'Mathematical understanding' in the true meaning of the term
Reply 8
All As doesnt guarentee a decent law place... it defintely helps since the top unis all offer AAA/AAB at A level... but it doesnt guarnte a place - you'll need a lot of extra curricular things, a great personal statement, great references and work experience to put you over the edge of the other thousands of applicants - remember its very very competetive.

However, for law, you can take ANY sujbjects... admissions tutors dont care what you take, as long as you do well in it. Most people have arts subjects, but many have purely sciences.. so you could do those subjects, or swap matyhs for history and it wouldnt matter,

Choose what you will be happiest learning, because you'll do better in subjects youre more motivated to do outside reading/work for.
Reply 9
I do love history, i read history books all the time. However, i find studying it rather monogamous at times. I did well at GCSE (i hope lol) well my coursework was A* because im good at essays and such.

You know in maths, how its all broken down into this Cs and stuff. Will i Do a unit and then do the test or will it be a case of do the tests and the end of the year?
Reply 10
XxJaninexX
However, i find studying it rather monogamous at times.

History is monogamous? :wink: Try telling that to Ghengis Khan & co ...

Seriosuly, all A-levels are now modular - in maths there's more of a choice in units, but it's still basically the same system. You do three units for AS (must include C1 and C2) and another three for A2 (must include C3 and C4), and can sit the test for each on in either January or June each year. Ask your school when you do each one.
Reply 11
No no, i like HISTORY as in reading about it etc just STUDYING it just urg lol.

A module system would work better for me i suppose.
Reply 12
Don't worry, I know what you meant - you mis-spelled "monotonous" so it meant something else entirely and I was just teasing!

If you like maths, go for it - you can always further your interest in history at home on your own time. It's a great subject, and if you like it, I expect you have the sort of brain that finds maths easy.
Reply 13
Hahal i just re read what i put. Haha, oh well lol.

Thanks. Im going to go get my results and speak to my maths teacher but i think im going to give it ago for As atleast and then decide based on results.

Latest

Trending

Trending