The Student Room Group

Do you like subtitles?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bude8
I use subtitles whenever I can when I'm watching things - it becomes so much easier to understand what's happening, and there's less chance of me missing something due to ambient noise (unless my hearing sucks). I watch a lot of anime, which is one reason why I might like it.

However, the vast majority of people I know do not like using subtitles.

Do you like using subtitles? Why?

I do but find I'm reading them by looking down and not focusing on the film.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
I like subtitles, it means I don't miss anything that is being said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
I use subtitles whenever I can when I'm watching things - it becomes so much easier to understand what's happening, and there's less chance of me missing something due to ambient noise (unless my hearing sucks). I watch a lot of anime, which is one reason why I might like it.

However, the vast majority of people I know do not like using subtitles.

Do you like using subtitles? Why?

Yes I find that often a lot of the speech is very fast or the music fades the voices and I find that its very hard to relax and watch the programme, if you have to concentrate really hard.They aren't absolutely essential but I do miss about maybe 1-2% of the dialogue without subtitles, which is bad when the only way to watch some programmes is on the Internet but I rarely miss out on something thats very important I suppose but subtitles definetley make the programme better.
Original post by majmuh24
Yeah, unless it's really quiet I find it hard to understand what is being said without subs. Funny how it becomes so much clearer with them on :tongue: I always read faster than the show plays, which is kind of interesting :colone:

Also a big anime fan as well, but I prefer dubs TBH, normally watch them in a quiet area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I liked you...

:tongue:
Original post by Bude8
I liked you...:tongue:
I watch subs to keep up with the latest releases, but normally watch the first few episodes in dubs simply cos I like hearing it in a language I understand :redface:
I can't watch TV without subtitles :lol:
Don't really see the benefit to them unless it's a foreign show/film tbh.
Reply 27
I hate them.

If they're on I can't help but read them even though I understand perfectly what everyone's saying.

If it's in a foreign language then obviously it's very necessary, but even then they annoy me because I can't actually watch what's going on because I have the keep reading.

Films are motion pictures, books are written words.
Not a big fan of subtitles. I was watching something on Netflix the other night and my girlfriend fell asleep so I turned the volume down and switched them on. I found that they just distracted me and I opted for headphones instead. Obviously when watching foreign films or films with foreign dialogue, it's a necessity unless I understand the language.
i hate them with a darn passion... they really get on my nerves, especially if you cant remember how to turn them off...
For foreign language films I prefer subtitles to dubbing.
All of my friends hate, like really really hate, subtitles. And they miss out a lot of good foreign films because they don't want to put on subtitles. Too bad for them...
Reply 32
I always put subtitles on, even if the film is in English and I can hear it fine. Must be a force of habit because I have done that ever since I was a kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought I was the only one! My friends/family always complain when the subtitles are on but I prefer it, it's so much easier to follow what's going on :redface:
I like subtitles.

Even if the film isn't foreign, sister does too, but dad complains when they're on... Don't understand why?!

Quick Reply

Latest