Programming.
Original post by someguy2014
Hm? :confused:

Lol err, slip of the finger. I meant Mandarin :wink:
Right now, Spanish>Arabic>French>Mandarin
Reply 23
Original post by clh_hilary
Programming.

No language (like spanish, chinese, etc)
Original post by Shadow-X
chinese :smile:

I sensibly wonder about this, which seems a popular answer whenever this question is asked. I can understand the thinking behind it, of course - rise of China and so on, but I wonder whether the imagined pay-off will really be there.

1. You have to invest 1000s and 1000s of hours in it. There's an opportunity cost, wouldn't a person have been better off in securing a different and more niche capability.
2. At the end of it, if you're successful, what you have in English-Chinese bilingual ability. But so have (or will have) tens of millions of others. The first several years of your study will be spent in only catching up with the Chinese schoolkids who've been studying English since they were 6...
Reply 25
Original post by cambio wechsel
I sensibly wonder about this, which seems a popular answer whenever this question is asked. I can understand the thinking behind it, of course - rise of China and so on, but I wonder whether the imagined pay-off will really be there.

1. You have to invest 1000s and 1000s of hours in it. There's an opportunity cost, wouldn't a person have been better off in securing a different and more niche capability.
2. At the end of it, if you're successful, what you have in English-Chinese bilingual ability. But so have (or will have) tens of millions of others. The first several years of your study will be spent in only catching up with the Chinese schoolkids who've been studying English since they were 6...

u can learn all of chinese in 20 hours no joke
spanish (if not english) based on the number of countries it would be handy for (e.g. south/central america, spain, cuba, the philippines?, etc)
Great answer!

Fluent I see. Well done you :wink:
No language (like spanish, chinese, etc)

Programming languages.

Chinese is not a language.
Reply 29
Programming languages.

Chinese is not a language.

Programming languages isn't my area of interest. I want to LEARN a language. Like speak, write it, etc.
Programming languages isn't my area of interest. I want to LEARN a language. Like speak, write it, etc.

You can communicate with computers. :confused:
Reply 31
I would argue that apart from English, that Spanish is probably more beneficial throughout the world, but I like the point made about China becoming an economic power, so there will most likely be a higher demand for Chinese speakers nowadays. Personally, I study French because I think it's a beautiful language, but it's not as widely used as Spanish - apart from France, Canada and African countries, there aren't many more places that it is widely used. Either way learning another language will put you far in life, and will most likely benefit your career further down the line! Plus you open yourself to another culture and way of life! Bon Chance!
Reply 32
Original post by Agnew569
I would argue that apart from English, that Spanish is probably more beneficial throughout the world, but I like the point made about China becoming an economic power, so there will most likely be a higher demand for Chinese speakers nowadays. Personally, I study French because I think it's a beautiful language, but it's not as widely used as Spanish - apart from France, Canada and African countries, there aren't many more places that it is widely used. Either way learning another language will put you far in life, and will most likely benefit your career further down the line! Plus you open yourself to another culture and way of life! Bon Chance!

For me studying a language is more a matter of personal interest. I ask myself: besides the obvious abilities and benefits, am I going to enjoy speaking/reading the language? What kind of literature is available in it? Is the history of the people whose language I am going to learn interesting for me? And so on. I make some research about it and if I answer positive to most of the answers, then I continue.

As of the economic power I am quite sceptic. During my lifetime I heard economists praising China on its way to become a world-leading country, and before I heard that of Mexico, and before of Brazil, and before of Ireland and before of South Africa, and before of Spain and before... well, you get the idea. And I am not old. China is a great economic power, why wouldn’t it be? With almost 20% of the world population it is obvious that they can make a lot of things. But I would not rely only on economic power and which language might increase its demand. There must be something else, because it is going to demand a good amount of your life, memory and breathe.
Reply 33
You can communicate with computers. :confused:

Are you really suggesting that communicating with computers is equivalent to speaking with humans?
Reply 34
As has already been said, it depends on what industry/culture you're interested in. If that doesn't come into consideration at all, then I suppose the most widely spoken languages would be most useful (such as Spanish/French), especially if you have some vague interest in travel.

Original post by Reaver Daniels
Two most spoken languages in the world are Mandarin Chinese and English... Followed by Spanish.

Mandarin may be most spoken, but certainly not most widely spoken.

Original post by brittanna
Valyrian - to gain favour with our future queen.

You've a mind for the throne, I see. :colonhash::congrats:
Reply 35
I am currently studying Chinese. I live in China, though, so it is obviously useful to me. It is difficult, but probably not as difficult as you would expect. The grammar is much simpler than English grammar. Also, I really enjoy studying it. Sometimes it's hilarious! For example, did you know that the Chinese word for 'platypus' translates directly as 'duck mouth monster'? (Ya zui shou). Brilliant.

In reality, being bilingual in any languages could be a huge benefit. If you don't have set plans to go to a certain place, I'd say just choose a language you are interested in and enjoy.
Original post by theopyrus
Are you really suggesting that communicating with computers is equivalent to speaking with humans?

Yes.

Not to mention you can write programmes to communicate with humans.
Reply 37

2. At the end of it, if you're successful, what you have in English-Chinese bilingual ability. But so have (or will have) tens of millions of others. The first several years of your study will be spent in only catching up with the Chinese school kids who've been studying English since they were 6...

And most of these kids are terrible at it :tongue: In the school I teach, I'd say about 10 students have a working command of the English language. The school has 1500 pupils... My school is ,supposedly, the best in the city... The way Chinese kids learn English is very peculiar. They mainly learn how to complete those fill in the gap exercises. There is no focus on writing essays, actually speaking... They do listen to CD's once in a while and fill in the blanks on their worksheet.

On thread: Focus on languages that would be easier for you to learn OP. You won't be able to use a language if you don't know it to a high level. Learning a new language, especially by yourself, if it isn't similar to your mother tongue takes ages. So as an Italian, learn Spanish and French, as an English person go for German, Dutch etc.

I'm about to start learning Italian (or Spanish?) and German because I can already perfectly understand them. I've been studying Mandarin, because I'm in China, but it's much more of a challenge for me than learning English was. I've been putting in more work for lesser rewards, and right now my command of Mandarin is useless.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
For international coverage, probably english or/and mandarin, since these two are widely spoken. :P Plus countries using these languages tend to have an economic edge. French and spanish will be useful if you live around regions that speak them.
Although, sometimes lessen spoken languages may help you get a niche market. *shrugs*
Reply 39
I was thinking Spanish because it's widely spoken in many different countries. Spanish speakers include Spain, Mexico, United States, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador,
El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, Venezuela, Equatorial Guinea, Western Sahara

But then it won't be any good if there isn't much development in industry in these countries. Chinese, or technically Mandarin is another big one. But the only countries to speak it is China, Taiwan and Singapore. But China is supposedly becoming the economic power of the world and maybe it's the one to go for?

There's also Arabic, which is good for working in the oil industry. Not as widely spoken as Mandarin or Spanish though.

Java SAP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending