The Student Room Group

Oxford/UCL/LSE Canadian Student Help!

Hi! I'm an IB student doing Year 1 of the Diploma Programme.
I'm sort of kind of very much wanting to get into one of those three. I've heard they're competitive and recognized, so I'd like to apply to them.

For Oxford: What is the course that is most unsubscribed? I genuinely have a passion for politics and economics, but it's so competitive! I'd really just like to get into to the university (but of course, I won't say that). How did it go for you? What can I do to increase my chances?

For LSE: Must you have HL Maths? My school only offers SL, but I do have HL Economics and English.
Reply 1
You do realise that you study only the subject you applied for here in the uk right? So if you applied to classics, one of the least competitive courses, you'd be studying only classics for 4 whole years? You really think you can dedicate your life to studing just... anything? Surely no one is that placid?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Do you really think you would do well studying a subject you have no interest in at Oxford? You would most likely drop out. The interview would probably show you don't actually care about the subject anyway, so it's an even more slim chance that you would get an offer.
Original post by Adler's Ally
I'm sort of kind of very much wanting to get into one of those three. I've heard they're competitive and recognized, so I'd like to apply to them.

For Oxford: What is the course that is most unsubscribed? I genuinely have a passion for politics and economics, but it's so competitive! I'd really just like to get into to the university (but of course, I won't say that). How did it go for you? What can I do to increase my chances?

For LSE: Must you have HL Maths? My school only offers SL, but I do have HL Economics and English.

As the above posters have said, I really don't recommend you apply for a subject you don't really like, and spend a lot of time and money for something you don't care about. It will mean you won't be motivated, and then what you do after you've got your degree if you aren't interested in the subject area?

The number of applicants per place is easy to find if you look at the relevant course pages of the Oxford prospectus.

However, I REALLY wouldn't advise picking a course just because it has less applicants per place - it will be very clear at interview that you aren't really that interested in the subject, you probably aren't studying the best combination of SL/ HL subjects at the moment anyway (Latin? Ancient Greek? Classical Civilisations?) - further reducing your chance of getting an offer, and if you do manage to get in you will not be motivated to do the work and will either drop out, fail or get a 3rd.
Any course at Oxford (or UCL or LSE) will be very competitive, and to optimise your chances of getting in and succeeding you should apply for a course that is really interesting to you and you are studying appropriate subjects for.

To increase your chances of getting in further, you should clearly demonstrate your passion for your subject beyond the curriculum - for example set up a debating club at your school, attend optional lectures/ talks at local universities on your subject, attend subject workshops or taster days, go on related school trips - e.g. to your local council/ MP offices (if you are interested in Politics), try to get some relevant work experience - e.g. ask to shadow your MP for a couple of days, try to get work experience in a bank/ financial advisors/ tbh any kind of finance related job - could just be having a part-time job in a shop where you have some responsibility for the accounts/ finances/ handling money, read related books (I think Oxford has a suggested reading list somewhere on their website, or other universities will do), etc.
Basically, take every opportunity to explore your subject outside of your lessons. Make sure you mention them in your personal statement, link them as much as possible to the course you are applying for, and talk about what you particularly enjoyed/ learn from them.

LSE's requirements should be clearly listed on the relevant subject page of their website. If HL Maths is not required, you should be fine - although I would imagine that it would be required for any finance/ economics related courses, although for Politics you might be ok.
Reply 5
Thank you so much!!!
I've actually decided to end up applying in English, even though I know ALOT of people apply. It's something I'm passionate about (It's one of my HL's).
Reply 6
THANK YOU GUYS!
I've decided on English, since it's what I truly like.
Reply 7
Thank you so much!!!
I've actually decided to end up applying for English, even though I know a lot of people apply. It's something I'm passionate about (it's one of my HLs).

Might want to fix your grammar before applying for English :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending