The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Berkz
Think about it, there are alternatives to the types of strikes they could do to get what they want.

What are they? A 24 hour go-slow in submitting book reviews to the TLS? This is the strike that is going to generate disruption, which is the purpose and nature of strike action.
Reply 21
Original post by redferry
You paid up front for your degree then did you?

Or did you, like most people, take advantage of the loans system provided by the government?

Why should academics get poor pay and long hours whilst deans etc roll in the cash for very little work?

Regardless of who has 'paid' for the service, the service has been 'paid' for.. might I add that that us as students are putting ourselves in considerable debt for the promise of a degree which will ultimately allow us to progress our careers...

I thought educators were on our side in that endeavour, but I guess all they really care about is their pay packets above all else. What happened to their duty as teachers? So again, why target students when employers are the cause of disruption.

Refuse to fill out paperwork, refuse to go to meetings or report to managers - I'm down with that. But not when the unions target us students specifically to get what they want.
Reply 22
Original post by jemal92
Regardless of who has 'paid' for the service, the service has been 'paid' for.. might I add that that us as students are putting ourselves in considerable debt for the promise of a degree which will ultimately allow us to progress our careers...

I thought educators were on our side in that endeavour, but I guess all they really care about is their pay packets above all else. What happened to their duty as teachers? So again, why target students when employers are the cause of disruption.

Refuse to fill out paperwork, refuse to go to meetings or report to managers - I'm down with that. But not when the unions target us students specifically to get what they want.

Well those pay packets are what is going to keep your teaching standards at a good standard so I would have thought you would have been concerned about maintaining academic standards for future students.

Clearly not though, it's all about getting the qualification 'you paid for' regardless of the future of the University.

People are talking about it and complaining about it so the tactic seems to be working at least.
Reply 23
Original post by cambio wechsel
What are they? A 24 hour go-slow in submitting book reviews to the TLS? This is the strike that is going to generate disruption, which is the purpose and nature of strike action.

The nature of the strike action is to disrupt the people causing the key issue you are striking about. Not to bully the students who are in full support of a strike but not one that will affects us.

They could easily refuse to do paperwork or refuse to go to meetings which will punish the Universities and not students.
because they deserve better working conditions.

They are having their pay cut. That is not cool.

There are pay cuts everywhere - NHS staff have been on a pay freeze forever but I don't see then purposely disrupting the care of patients, presumably because they CARE about patients. If staff show no care for students and their education there is no reason students should sympathise.
There are plenty of other ways to strike (like the previous strikes) that wouldn't target students as much, and for that matter there are other ways to make your demands known.
Reply 25
Original post by joker12345
There are pay cuts everywhere - NHS staff have been on a pay freeze forever but I don't see then purposely disrupting the care of patients, presumably because they CARE about patients. If staff show no care for students and their education there is no reason students should sympathise.
There are plenty of other ways to strike (like the previous strikes) that wouldn't target students as much, and for that matter there are other ways to make your demands known.

Awarding degrees a bit late is hardly in the same ballpark as allowing people to die, get a grip.
Reply 26
Well those pay packets are what is going to keep your teaching standards at a good standard so I would have thought you would have been concerned about maintaining academic standards for future students.

Clearly not though, it's all about getting the qualification 'you paid for' regardless of the future of the University.

People are talking about it and complaining about it so the tactic seems to be working at least.

I have said I support the pay, but educators also have a duty to their students to help them attain their end grades and achieve success. We are all more than supportive to that end, but not when we are directly affected in such a negative way. This isn't a tube strike for god sake, this is our education on the line!

Look... I don't disagree with you, but if you read the letter that zdecent posted he makes some good points about where the strike should really be aimed and how it affects us students. I'm definitely gonna tweet the hashtag #BackOffBoycott haha - instant classic!

Original post by zdecent
I've written an open letter about it and it's being shared a fair bit at our uni tinyurl.com/BackOffBoycott we're trying to get the hashtag #BackOffBoycott trending haha - I can't take credit for that one, a buddy of mine came up with it. If you get the time to share it on or pass it around at your unis that would be great! Not sure how much good it'll do though
Original post by jemal92
I have said I support the pay, but educators also have a duty to their students to help them attain their end grades and achieve success. We are all more than supportive to that end, but not when we are directly affected in such a negative way. This isn't a tube strike for god sake, this is our education on the line!

Look... I don't disagree with you, but if you read the letter that zdecent posted he makes some good points about where the strike should really be aimed and how it affects us students. I'm definitely gonna tweet the hashtag #BackOffBoycott haha - instant classic!

A tube strike is more disruptive than you getting your grades a bit late... Don't be so selfish.
Reply 28
Original post by jemal92

Well I am going to tweet #GoBoycott #GoBoycott #GoBoycott :P

I'm probably biased though as I want a career in academia...
It's going to affect everyone, meaning grad schemes can't say 'nope, you haven't got your grades yet, no job.'
Reply 30
Original post by RibenaRockstar
It's going to affect everyone, meaning grad schemes can't say 'nope, you haven't got your grades yet, no job.'

Yes they really can.. Ever tried applying for Law Grad Schemes or Training Contracts??
If you say you are predicted to get a 1st or a 2:1 and can't show for it at the end when the deadline has passed then bye bye... Why should I lose out on a job offer because of their pay...?
Reply 31
Original post by jemal92

Your education is far less significant than the tube strike. Sorry, but that's the truth. A couple of day's delay will not disrupt your applications (if it does, man... what would've you have done if the admin messed up in getting your results :rolleyes:) The strike will not go on for months at end either.

Any way they strike is going to affect the students. In fact, aside from some of the research professors, any industrial action taken by the union will be primarily targeted at students.
Reply 32
Original post by hslakaal
Your education is far less significant than the tube strike. Sorry, but that's the truth. A couple of day's delay will not disrupt your applications (if it does, man... what would've you have done if the admin messed up in getting your results :rolleyes:) The strike will not go on for months at end either.

Any way they strike is going to affect the students. In fact, aside from some of the research professors, any industrial action taken by the union will be primarily targeted at students.

What? Wait... I can't believe you just said that? Take the bus if the trains are down.... Or walk. Us not getting our degree on time can cause big problems. When I graduate I will be in around 20k debt. How can you compare that to a 10 pound train ride delays... LOL
Reply 33
I can see why it's annoying but at the same time staff have the right to protest over their conditions.
You paid up front for your degree then did you?

Or did you, like most people, take advantage of the loans system provided by the government?

Why should academics get poor pay and long hours whilst deans etc roll in the cash for very little work?

Are you joking?

I am a customer of my university. Whether paid for up front or with a student loan, it makes no difference.

Some of the principal lecturers on my course are in receipt of salaries of over 50K. It's completely unacceptable.
Original post by Berkz
Yes they really can.. Ever tried applying for Law Grad Schemes or Training Contracts??
If you say you are predicted to get a 1st or a 2:1 and can't show for it at the end when the deadline has passed then bye bye... Why should I lose out on a job offer because of their pay...?

But it's going to affect EVERYONE graduating this year. If the firm only have a quarter of the people with job offers with confirmed degree classifications, they're not going to refuse the other three quarters because they wouldn't have the trainees they need.
Reply 36
If you don't want this boycott to happen, then contact your uni's Vice Chancellor and demand to know what s/he's going to do to help prevent it. The action is aimed at provoking further pay negotiation. If students pressure the higher echelons of their universities, this will be passed on to those who have refused to negotiate.

Complaining on the internet will achieve nothing for students who will potentially be affected by the boycott.

Here is the National Union of Students' position:
http://www.nusconnect.org.uk/news/article/nus/NUS-update-on-the-proposed-UCU-marking-boycott/
Reply 37
Original post by ArtGoblin
A tube strike is more disruptive than you getting your grades a bit late... Don't be so selfish.

The delay for us not getting our grades is just the obvious and most noticeable problem, however this is not putting into cosideration the impact of potential marks being affected and the years spent on a degree which could result in lower grades than we would get if the process ran properly and on schedule...

The assumption that a minor delay is the only concern is a ridiculous claim! This does not consider the effect to students who unfortunately may fail a test - how will resist and referrals be set? Will the grades be received too late? Will they have to wait months to take a resit that they had the right to sit immediately? Grad schemes typically start promptly in September, what if people haven't got their grades back by then? If someone starts a job on the proviso they get a good grade and later find they get one lower than expected - is it fair these people will lose their job? With not enough time to take up Plan Bs?

This could have a serious effect on a massive group of students, I don't think you appreciate what could happen if this strike action goes ahead. I think it's pretty disgusting to even threaten for it to happen, regardless of whether it actually occurs.
Reply 38
Original post by tommydeaks
Are you joking?

I am a customer of my university. Whether paid for up front or with a student loan, it makes no difference.

Some of the principal lecturers on my course are in receipt of salaries of over 50K. It's completely unacceptable.

Universities are not a business they are a public service, taxpayer subsidised.

Most will be on around 30K

And if they worked in the private sector they could be on twice that.

Not to mention the discrepancy between their salary and that of the Deans.
Reply 39
Original post by RibenaRockstar
But it's going to affect EVERYONE graduating this year. If the firm only have a quarter of the people with job offers with confirmed degree classifications, they're not going to refuse the other three quarters because they wouldn't have the trainees they need.

Original post by tommydeaks
Are you joking?

Exactly! I think we really need to spread awareness of how this will effect students, if you could take a look at the open letter to educators and share/pass it on it would be much appreciated www.tinyurl.com/BoycottLetter

Latest

Trending

Trending