The Student Room Group

Volunteering with ICS or IVHQ?

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which of these two organizations to volunteer with. I love how ICS seem to do some really meaningful and worthwhile projects, however IVHQ seems like a great chance to volunteer with people from all over the world. In addition IVHQ offer dedicated medical placements which may be better for me as I'm starting my medical degree in September. Cost wise they probably work out about the same, with IVHQ probably being a little more expensive because of having to buy flights. Either way I plan on doing fundraising to raise the money. If anyone could provide me with an insight into either of these projects, or why I should choose one over the other that would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
Hi, I voluntereed with ICS last July and I was sent to Kenya for 3 months. It was a great experience, they can be quite strict as you are under their responsibility and it does feel like your back in primary school at times. However you will meet wonderful, like minded people as yourself. Also ICS has more credentials when on a cv. And the best thing is that you get an in country volunteer, so someone who is from that country that lives with you and helps you out (for example: how much something should cost so you're not ripped off).
Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by samad
I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which of these two organizations to volunteer with. I love how ICS seem to do some really meaningful and worthwhile projects, however IVHQ seems like a great chance to volunteer with people from all over the world. In addition IVHQ offer dedicated medical placements which may be better for me as I'm starting my medical degree in September. Cost wise they probably work out about the same, with IVHQ probably being a little more expensive because of having to buy flights. Either way I plan on doing fundraising to raise the money. If anyone could provide me with an insight into either of these projects, or why I should choose one over the other that would be much appreciated!

Original post by caroline03
Hi, I voluntereed with ICS last July and I was sent to Kenya for 3 months. It was a great experience, they can be quite strict as you are under their responsibility and it does feel like your back in primary school at times. However you will meet wonderful, like minded people as yourself. Also ICS has more credentials when on a cv. And the best thing is that you get an in country volunteer, so someone who is from that country that lives with you and helps you out (for example: how much something should cost so you're not ripped off).
Hope this helps

I'm really wanting to do something like this over summer when I'm not at uni. Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Is there an opportunity to do something for a short period? Or is it only for long durations? which I wouldn't mind doing but, I wouldn't have the time while I was still at university.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by samad

Original post by David B
I'm really wanting to do something like this over summer when I'm not at uni. Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Is there an opportunity to do something for a short period? Or is it only for long durations? which I wouldn't mind doing but, I wouldn't have the time while I was still at university.

hey just wondering what you both decided on? I'm looking into both of these organisations just now for later this year
thanks v much in advance :smile:
Both organisations are good! ICS are very reputable for UK students whilst IVHQ send tons of people from all over the world overseas every year. There are lots of other organisations too so maybe don't be stuck just between these two. Maybe look at directory websites like One World 365's volunteer programs abroad where you can search all the major orgs and find lots of programs. I guess it depends on where you want to go and what you want to do - this will help you make a decision. I went to volunteer in Thailand with elephants and it was an amazing experience but it really depends on what appeals. PM me if you would like info on the project. Good luck!
I think you could not go wrong with either, I have multiple friends who have gone with one of these groups.

Quick Reply

Latest