The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by navvo
the translation......found that quite challenging, hoping grade boundaries will be lowered?

It seems unlikely that grade boundaries could go up from 53/60 last year. Worst case scenario=they stay the same
Tbh I did terrible in it and I was doing foundation. But I'm bad at latin anyway. On yhe translation I put that whatever the persons name was consumed a body than I crossed out consumed wish I didn't now.
Reply 82
I found it really easy! And yes, he had nothing left so he ate himself! The 'pick out a word' question was 'statim' - 'at once'? Derivations could have been 'vendor' and 'fugitive'? I did the paper in 20 minutes :biggrin:
Original post by danconway
I found it really easy! And yes, he had nothing left so he ate himself! The 'pick out a word' question was 'statim' - 'at once'? Derivations could have been 'vendor' and 'fugitive'? I did the paper in 20 minutes :biggrin:

Hmm i picked out 'statim.. Rogavit' (don't remember exactly) but it was 3 words :tongue: probably accepts both o.o
And if I spelt vendor wrong will I still get the marks?>.<
Reply 84

That's exactly what I put, and I also did it in 20 mins!
My mate didn't realise there was a second comprehension lol...
Reply 85
Original post by Becca Rawr
Hmm i picked out 'statim.. Rogavit' (don't remember exactly) but it was 3 words :tongue: probably accepts both o.o
And if I spelt vendor wrong will I still get the marks?>.<

Yeh, you should. Was it recognisable and not easy to confuse with something else?
Yeh, you should. Was it recognisable and not easy to confuse with something else?

Yeah it was 'he asked for food immediately' I think, which is why at the time I thought that was more suitable than just 'immediately' as it included the food in the answer :P
Reply 87
I've been doing Latin for a year and even I found it easy, so much easier than other papers I've done! I completed it in 25 mins :smile:
The story was so strange though, usually it's just about Gods arguing but instead it was about someone who had such a great love for food that he ate himself...

Poor poor ceres and her sacred tree
I found it harder than I thought I would I made quite a few silly mistakes as I was very stressed today like saying he sold his son instead of his daughter :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 89
Yeah it was 'he asked for food immediately' I think, which is why at the time I thought that was more suitable than just 'immediately' as it included the food in the answer :P

Oh I was talking about your misspelling in the derivation question- you probably got the mark for that.

I was pretty sure that the question asked for a 'word'. So I'm not sure what they'll do with that. Sounds like you had a good exam though.
Oh I was talking about your misspelling in the derivation question- you probably got the mark for that.

I was pretty sure that the question asked for a 'word'. So I'm not sure what they'll do with that. Sounds like you had a good exam though.

Oh yeah awesome :tongue: but it said word or phrase! :tongue:
Oh No i think i failed it,

1. I spelt all the names of the Gods as they were in the latin, not the english
2. I put sons instead of daughter.
3. I put someone ate him
4. I completely missed out the last page as i didnt realise there was any questions on the end as the story came to an end.
5. I got stuck on the words cepisset and poitus and ridens and necaratur

Do you still think I can get an A*, im really hoping for one though. Fingers crossed eh?

Oh and i forgot a few more
7. I didnt write my name and candidate number
8. If your still buying this then you are pretty stupid, or i'm pretty believable
9. It was piss easy
10. I'm thinking 60/60 :biggrin:
Reply 92
Oh yeah awesome :tongue: but it said word or phrase! :tongue:

In which case you're absolutely fine :biggrin:
Original post by Starstriker
I found it harder than I thought I would I made quite a few silly mistakes as I was very stressed today like saying he sold his son instead of his daughter :frown:

Omg I put son as well but I found out after the exam it was daughter.
On the back page was there just the derivation question, or was there another? I am just a little bit worried. Also, how much did you need to write about what effects Hunger had on the main character? Apart from that, I feel that the exam went pretty well.:smile: (I think)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bulbasaur10
On the back page was there just the derivation question, or was there another? I am just a little bit worried. Also, how much did you need to write about what effects Hunger had on the main character? Apart from that, I feel that the exam went pretty well.:smile: (I think)

Just derivation, I put refugee and vendor(forgot about fugitive).
Hunger placed such a great *something I can't remember* onto him that he dreamt of the best food the whole night.

What did you write for this translation where Laetus fitted in?
Original post by GCSEsitter
Hunger placed such a great *something I can't remember* onto him that he dreamt of the best food the whole night.

I can't really remember what I put, but is was something like 'now I am happy destroying the tree'
Reply 97
Original post by GCSEsitter

Hunger placed such a great love of food onto him that he dreamt of very excellent dinners for the whole night. I believe 'cena' was in plural form.

I put "I, happy, am now destroying the tree."
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pembo101
Hunger placed such a great love of food onto him that he dreamt of very excellent dinners for the whole night. I believe 'cena' was in plural form.

I put "I, happy, am now destroying the tree."

The end of that phrase was 'totam noctem', so would it not just be "the whole night". Can't remember about plurality of cena

I also wrote: now I am happy destroying the tree
Reply 99
I didn't think the test was too bad; about what I was expecting. I think I made a few smallish mistakes but should have done ok (56/57) overall.

For the first question, I wrote that the tree was 'sacred by the goddess Ceres'. I'm pretty sure this is wrong and it should be 'to' instead of 'by' but do you think there is the slightest chance of a half mark?

Also, on question 3 I think, I put 'they knew that they would be punished' instead of 'they understood that they would be punished. Could I still get the marks for that?

Finally, on the sentence with laetus, I think I got it pretty wrong, saying 'now, I shall happily burn the tree'.

Apart from these, however, the rest was fairly straightforward and I just hope I didn't made loads of silly errors :P
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending