The Student Room Group

Should I take physics AS in Year 13?

This is something that has been at the back of my mind for a while now.

Basically, not knowing the degree I wanted to take after sixth form I chose biology, chemistry, maths and geography for my a levels at the beginning of this year. Now that I know i want to do chemistry, I'm kind of regretting not taking physics instead of geography and as such wondering if I should take the as next year. I know by this point that I could get in with my current subjects anyway, but would doing it offer me any advantage if i got into university, or cause me any problems (ie not being allowed to do some modules) by not having it?

Any advice is appreciated, but advice by chemistry students is doubly so :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by LemonFish

Any advice is appreciated, but advice by chemistry students is doubly so :biggrin:

Luckily they exist then eh? :colone:

Anyway, most universities usually ask for maths or physics in their entry requirements, so it's not necessarily a requirement. However, you may be a bit behind/need to do some extra background reading when you come to do some the Physical Chemistry modules during the Chemistry Degree :yep: . However, I found it mainly helped me as it was familiarity with the equations rather than familiarity with the actual concepts itself. After first year, there's very little overlap (or at least at my uni) with A-level anything, let alone A-level Physics :tongue: . It depends on how much you like the subject. I would say 'go for it' as I really enjoyed it as a subject, but it's quite a lot of effort for not much gain :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest