The Student Room Group

Which of these cars should I buy?

I was pondering selling the Passat, because I do 5k miles per year now not 20k which was why I brought a diesel. Budget about 8 grand GBP, will list the cars below. It needs to be much faster than the Passat, preferably a saloon, and handling is important as is the ability to take bends fast and safely.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Where's the list??
Updated now. Open to suggestions too
Original post by jusdorange
Where's the list??
Reply 7

Too old and has too many modifications on it. Never particularly liked that version of the A4.

Had something similar to this one briefly, too tiring a car to drive and got to be careful not to lift off when cornering. Best to get a STI by ProDrive if you want to get this one.

Too old and not the M3 which can't be too far away in price.

Never cared much for Vauxhalls, rather buy the Saab 9-3 with that same engine.
Reply 8
Get an older m3
Original post by Alfissti
Too old and has too many modifications on it. Never particularly liked that version of the A4.

Had something similar to this one briefly, too tiring a car to drive and got to be careful not to lift off when cornering. Best to get a STI by ProDrive if you want to get this one.

Too old and not the M3 which can't be too far away in price.

Never cared much for Vauxhalls, rather buy the Saab 9-3 with that same engine.

What is so tiring about a Scooby? I'm leaning towards the Vectra at the moment due to the sheer bang for buck, however it is probably the worse handling car here.
Original post by jusdorange
Get an older m3

Servicing, tyres and maintaince would probably cost a fortune (assuming you mean ~2004 M3. Wouldn't mind a 330/335

Why?? (serious question)
Reply 12
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Why?? (serious question)

On some road cambers and especially if the road is wet and your tyres aren't all that great lifting off in the corners would cause it to oversteer. Common characteristic of that car that you simply just get used to.
Reply 13
Original post by traintracks1995
What is so tiring about a Scooby? I'm leaning towards the Vectra at the moment due to the sheer bang for buck, however it is probably the worse handling car here.

Noisy engine, harsh ride and crap plastics everywhere.

I thought you didn't like hatchbacks which is what that Vauxhall is :smile:

You should get this one instead :-
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201404023002140/sort/default/usedcars/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/radius/1500/model/9-3/page/4/engine-size-cars/2-6l_to_2-9l/postcode/nw99su/make/saab?logcode=p
Noisy engine, harsh ride and crap plastics everywhere.

I thought you didn't like hatchbacks which is what that Vauxhall is :smile:

You should get this one instead :-
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201404023002140/sort/default/usedcars/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/radius/1500/model/9-3/page/4/engine-size-cars/2-6l_to_2-9l/postcode/nw99su/make/saab?logcode=p

Saab is nice, but does it do a better job than a 330i? Not to mention Saab = unreliable
Reply 15
Manual 330i
Autos suck
£8k? Cheap skate.
Original post by traintracks1995
I was pondering selling the Passat, because I do 5k miles per year now not 20k which was why I brought a diesel. Budget about 8 grand GBP, will list the cars below. It needs to be much faster than the Passat, preferably a saloon, and handling is important as is the ability to take bends fast and safely.

If I were you, I would stretch my budget to £10,000.

Buy a Subaru Impreza WR1. I have always been a massive fan.

315BHP and a 0to60 time of 4.1s. Get between 20-25mpg depending on type of journey. Very cheap to get big power games from.
Original post by DotDotCurve
If I were you, I would stretch my budget to £10,000.

Buy a Subaru Impreza WR1. I have always been a massive fan.

315BHP and a 0to60 time of 4.1s. Get between 20-25mpg depending on type of journey. Very cheap to get big power games from.

Would take me a few more months to save another £2k, but that sounds good
Reply 19
Original post by Camoxide
Manual 330i
Autos suck

Actually, BMW use a ZF automatic gearbox which is pretty bloody good.

Quick Reply

Latest