The Student Room Group

Handcuff Myself?

So I kinda need a Law Training Contract as I finish Uni in a month. Is it a good idea to handcuff myself to a gate in front of a big Law firm?? Would they hire me?

Does anyone else have crazy ideas ha!?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Berkz
So I kinda need a Law Training Contract as I finish Uni in a month. Is it a good idea to handcuff myself to a gate in front of a big Law firm?? Would they hire me?

Does anyone else have crazy ideas ha!?

Did you actually apply for VSs this cycle?
Reply 2
Original post by Iridescenzo
Did you actually apply for VSs this cycle?

I have no clue what that is?
Reply 3
Original post by Berkz
I have no clue what that is?

Vacation schemes. Many firms won't consider you unless you get on the VS first. There are seriously like 80 TC openings on lawcareers. Do you have any other work experience?

https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/TrainingContractDeadlines
Reply 4
Vacation schemes. Many firms won't consider you unless you get on the VS first. There are seriously like 80 TC openings on lawcareers. Do you have any other work experience?

https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/TrainingContractDeadlines

Oh wow, nope haven't applied for any really. I have some experience couple of weeks etc but nothing major. But my skills/experience outside academia is pretty amazing.
Reply 5
Original post by Berkz
Oh wow, nope haven't applied for any really. I have some experience couple of weeks etc but nothing major. But my skills/experience outside academia is pretty amazing.

Is that so? Such as?
Reply 6
Original post by Berkz
Is it a good idea to handcuff myself to a gate in front of a big Law firm?? Would they hire

Yeah, I think they would absolutely hire the nutter chained to their front gate :/
Reply 7
Original post by Reue
Yeah, I think they would absolutely hire the nutter chained to their front gate :/

Law graduate; can confirm. Just make sure it's the front gate and not the back! :wink:

(OP, I kid. You're absolutely scuppered without legal experience; Iridescenzo is spot on about vac schemes.)
Reply 8
Original post by Blackacre
Law graduate; can confirm. Just make sure it's the front gate and not the back! :wink:

(OP, I kid. You're absolutely scuppered without legal experience; Iridescenzo is spot on about vac schemes.)

Feels inappropriate for me to be the one dishing out advice.
Especially since I'm waiting on my own VSs. :confused:
Reply 9
Feels inappropriate for me to be the one dishing out advice.
Especially since I'm waiting on my own VSs. :confused:

Don't put yourself down! :p: You're still qualified to give advice on the process, even if you're in the middle of it yourself. As someone a stage ahead of OP I'm sure he'd be grateful for your input. :yy:
Reply 10
Don't put yourself down! :p: You're still qualified to give advice on the process, even if you're in the middle of it yourself. As someone a stage ahead of OP I'm sure he'd be grateful for your input. :yy:

Doesn't seem like anyone else in the VS thread applied to any of the ones I chose. :rolleyes:
I've still got nothing.
I wonder if any barrister people around here can answer that other girl's thread about pupillages.
Original post by Berkz

Thanks for the rep on my rather flippant post. :p:

While there are a few of us here, is there anything in particular you'd like advice on? It looks like you'll be forced to take a year out if you haven't been applying for vac schemes, so I suppose that gives you more time to do your research.
Reply 12
Is that so? Such as?

I volunteer as a teaching assistant, charity shops, I own two of my own businesses (decent size), I have my own ebooks, I have worked for the government for a while, I have over 4 years retail experience, and I'm pretty nice. Thats not enough lol?
Reply 13
Thanks for the rep on my rather flippant post. :p:

While there are a few of us here, is there anything in particular you'd like advice on? It looks like you'll be forced to take a year out if you haven't been applying for vac schemes, so I suppose that gives you more time to do your research.

Whoops in my 'experience' list I forgot to say I already went America for a year and completed a Study Abroad lol. So taking a year out is NOT an option. At worst I will do an GDL and LPC. Because my degree is Business/Law.
Reply 14
Original post by Berkz
Whoops in my 'experience' list I forgot to say I already went America for a year and completed a Study Abroad lol. So taking a year out is NOT an option. At worst I will do an GDL and LPC. Because my degree is Business/Law.

Why is it out of the question, exactly? I guess you have rather notable experience; just make sure to tailor your lexis to each firm's personal specifications. I know I'm not the only person here who would recommend securing a TC before starting the GDL. Not all of the VSs have gone, by the way; there are still like 5 or 6 left.
Original post by Berkz

Is your "Business/Law" degree a qualifying law degree? If not you'll have to do the GDL, which will give you a little more time (although you won't be able to get sponsorship for it - not sure how common that is though). I thought you were a "straight LLB" student initially. :ms:
Reply 16
Is your "Business/Law" degree a qualifying law degree? If not you'll have to do the GDL, which will give you a little more time (although you won't be able to get sponsorship for it - not sure how common that is though). I thought you were a "straight LLB" student initially. :ms:

It is not, because it is joint. So I must do a GDL and it is not funded so I have to pay 13k ahhhh lol.

And the reason a year out is out of the question is because I want a JOB! I can't be bothered messing around anymore etc :frown: Why can't they just hire me once they see how hard I work they will forget the whole handcuffing part :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Berkz
It is not, because it is joint. So I must do a GDL and it is not funded so I have to pay 13k ahhhh lol.

And the reason a year out is out of the question is because I want a JOB! I can't be bothered messing around anymore etc :frown: Why can't they just hire me once they see how hard I work they will forget the whole handcuffing part :smile:

Have you thought about applying for VSs during all three seasons of applications, whilst also holding down a part-time job, or working at CAB?
Original post by Berkz

I appreciate you want to crack on (especially having already spent a year abroad), but I'd seriously consider taking a year out to apply for vac schemes, work to earn money, and also volunteer with Citizens Advice etc. £13,000 is a lot of money - self-funding wouldn't be so bad if you knew you had a job lined up once you finished, but currently there's nothing concrete for you to work to. I'm not sure how far the GDL/LPC are recognised outside of the legal profession, so I'd want to be pretty sure I was going to get a return on my investment before committing to the course(s).
Reply 19
I have to admit, I've been wondering what kind of job you can have whilst also volunteering and searching for VSs at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending