The Student Room Group

American Foreign Policy

Views on American foreign policy - do you think they are invading or helping? Specifically their involvement in the Middle East.

I personally think they are trying to, at best, interfere and, at worst, damage other countries in order to claim power, or ensure American dominance in the world.

Open for a friendly debate!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clarealev
Views on American foreign policy - do you think they are invading or helping? Specifically their involvement in the Middle East.

I personally think they are trying to, at best, interfere and, at worst, damage other countries in order to claim power, or ensure American dominance in the world.

What people often fail to consider is the alternative situation.

Yes, the US could go 100% isolationist and never interfere with anything, however 2 things would then happen.

1. An increase in wars where the US no longer keeps the peace.

2. Who would take their place? I believe that it would be very naïve to think that no nation, or group of nations would fill the void in international power.
Reply 2
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
What people often fail to consider is the alternative situation.

Yes, the US could go 100% isolationist and never interfere with anything, however 2 things would then happen.

1. An increase in wars where the US no longer keeps the peace.

2. Who would take their place? I believe that it would be very naïve to think that no nation, or group of nations would fill the void in international power.

1. But America is often known to be the one causing the problems - such as arming terrorists in the past, such as the Mujahideen in the 1980s, of which a group became the Taliban, and more recently the PKK (Kurdish Worker's Party - a recognised terrorist organisation by many in the West, including America) in North Iraq, and East Turkey.

2. Obviously the idea of no nation is unlikely to happen, and is not desired by many (including myself), and there is a certain fear of who would be the world power if not America. But America is not as noble as it portrays itself - although I do not condone Russia's actions it does not pretend to be on the high horse like America does.

It is all about protecting the economic interests of America.

Whether or not some humanistic good is done as a result is debatable. Vietnam and South America were most certainly ****ed over by america. Whether or not the same can be said for irag and Afghanistan is debatable although I am skeptical.
Reply 4
So what about more recently - obviously many people accept the problems they caused in Vietnam, Korea, etc. But what about real modern day problems? Many of these tend not to be publicised so loudly (trying not to sound too conspiracy theorist here), but lots of people in places like Turkey are fed up of American interference, and can see the harm being done to the country because of it.
1. But America is often known to be the one causing the problems - such as arming terrorists in the past, such as the Mujahideen in the 1980s, of which a group became the Taliban, and more recently the PKK (Kurdish Worker's Party - a recognised terrorist organisation by many in the West, including America) in North Iraq, and East Turkey.

2. Obviously the idea of no nation is unlikely to happen, and is not desired by many (including myself), and there is a certain fear of who would be the world power if not America. But America is not as noble as it portrays itself - although I do not condone Russia's actions it does not pretend to be on the high horse like America does.

Unfortunately, you have bypassed my point. It is extremely hard to measure how many wars the US has prevented over the last 60 years and how many it is preventing right now from happening, so if you were to blame the US for certain conflicts, you could argue that far more have been prevented.

If you look at historic superpowers, the USA is actually very peaceful. For example, if you were to give the powers of the last 500 years the complete power that the USA has, they would have conquered the whole world.
Reply 6
Unfortunately, you have bypassed my point. It is extremely hard to measure how many wars the US has prevented over the last 60 years and how many it is preventing right now from happening, so if you were to blame the US for certain conflicts, you could argue that far more have been prevented.

If you look at historic superpowers, the USA is actually very peaceful. For example, if you were to give the powers of the last 500 years the complete power that the USA has, they would have conquered the whole world.

So which wars would you argue they have prevented?
So which wars would you argue they have prevented?

I believe that a whole host of Israel related wars have been prevented. I am not going to go into the rights and wrong of the whole Israel issue as I try to be neutral on the subject, however I am certain that without US support a war with its neighbours would have occurred (whether Israel or any other nation would have been the defender or attacker I have no idea).
Reply 8
I believe that a whole host of Israel related wars have been prevented. I am not going to go into the rights and wrong of the whole Israel issue as I try to be neutral on the subject, however I am certain that without US support a war with its neighbours would have occurred (whether Israel or any other nation would have been the defender or attacker I have no idea).

Obviously the Israel issue is a can of worms, but the amount of violence seen by both Israel and Palestine which is still continuing doesn't indicate a peaceful state conditioned by America. America's stance on Israel is also biased, due to its huge pro-Israel lobby, and this leads to a more militarily supported Israel, but also one that has caused great resentment in the Middle East.
Obviously the Israel issue is a can of worms, but the amount of violence seen by both Israel and Palestine which is still continuing doesn't indicate a peaceful state conditioned by America. America's stance on Israel is also biased, due to its huge pro-Israel lobby, and this leads to a more militarily supported Israel, but also one that has caused great resentment in the Middle East.

So that supports my point.
Reply 10
So that supports my point.

Well I am arguing that in the long term it is causing more war-mongering than solving it. Even if they can prevent a war today, they might cause a greater one tomorrow.
Well I am arguing that in the long term it is causing more war-mongering than solving it. Even if they can prevent a war today, they might cause a greater one tomorrow.

and the complete opposite also applies.
Reply 12

The US protects its interests and quashes threats, in this sense it is no different to the British Empire.

That being said, economic and humanitarian interests are not always exclusive. In removing the Taliban and Saddam and Gadaffi we have allowed a greater degree of freedom. They also aided us in Kosovo and have prevented wars involving Israel.

Finally, consider what has happened when the USA has not acted. 4 million Rwandan dead, 2 million Syrian refugees.

We are a divided and violent species and that's unlikely to change soon so I for one support the west in acting as a police force even if not always for innocent reasons.
Reply 13
Nope American intervention is against the procedure of revolution and democracy.
Democracy cannot be given by invading other countries. It is solely up to the people of that nation to collectively revolt and claim democracy for themselves.

You can see the mess in Iraq is like this. The Iraqi's didn't liberate themselves and why it is in chaos.
Reply 14
Original post by Falcatas
Nope American intervention is against the procedure of revolution and democracy.
Democracy cannot be given by invading other countries. It is solely up to the people of that nation to collectively revolt and claim democracy for themselves.

You can see the mess in Iraq is like this. The Iraqi's didn't liberate themselves and why it is in chaos.

Pretty much this.

How they are suppodely spreading democracy when they are doing the exact opposite (including within their own borders) is beyond me!
Reply 15
Original post by Falcatas

Iraq and Afghanistan may not be perfect but they are better places to live now than they were before.
Reply 16
Original post by Rakas21
Iraq and Afghanistan may not be perfect but they are better places to live now than they were before.

Afghanistan might be, but most of Iraq isn't.
Awful foreign policy.

It is essentially "Merica... **** yeah! Democracy, come to you soon at the tip of the bayonet".

Why we are allied to these belligerent Neanderthals I don't know. At best we should be neutral, not allies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheBBQ
Pretty much this.

How they are suppodely spreading democracy when they are doing the exact opposite (including within their own borders) is beyond me!

"..including within their own borders.." Explain.
Original post by the mezzil
Awful foreign policy.

It is essentially "Merica... **** yeah! Democracy, come to you soon at the tip of the bayonet".

Why we are allied to these belligerent Neanderthals I don't know. At best we should be neutral, not allies.

Do you think America is as billigerent as Britain was in it's foriegn policy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending